RC poster

lipo battery problem

hey i have a e-revo bl and was charging 2s 5300mah lipo and one ran fine the other overcharged but i had the charger do a discharge and lower the amps on the recharge so when they finished i put them in my car and ran it it didn't have a lot of power to do a wheelie but top speed was the same so I ran the batteries completely dead to where the car stopped but I ran it hard and when I pulled the batteries out one of em the case pop back together but the other one was hot and the cells were so big the case wont go back and I checked it on my charger and the battery is no good but the other one is.

my questions are did the overchrage battery possibly damage my car and I'm pretty sure on this one but I should place the other battery too even though the charger says the battery is ok just to be on the safe side since the case pop a little bit.

if someone could answer this fast that would be greatly appreciated thank you

RC poster
    oo and I always plug them into the balance board when i charge them too

RC Qualifier
    You definitely have to replace the bad lipo!

It sounds like the other one is still OK

And your car should be fine if the lipo didn't fault / smoke / catch on fire etc whilst plugged in.

Bash it like someone else has to fix it!

you NEVER run a lipo dead, that is why the MMM ESC and others have a LVC (low voltage cut off). Both batts need to be completely discharged & thrown away.

LVC should be set to 3.4v per cell & cell select set to auto

Refer to this to setup the Mamba Monster ( MMM ) esc for maximum performance:
    CASTLE LINK GUIDE

discharging a batter does nothing to amps. volts only

a full charged battery is 4.20v & storage is 3.85 ish, & as stated LVC 3.4v...
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    If he ran them till dead in his ERBE then the LVC would have stopped the car before the lipos were completely flat.

It seems the problem was when they were overcharged, not when they were run until flat because the LVC would have prevented them running until completely dead. For this reason, the second battery and the ESC SHOULD be OK if checked thoroughly.

Bash it like someone else has to fix it!

Sound like he had the LVC turned off??? idk

Yes the ESC is fine...

So the Q is what was the volts per cell when the Batt was overcharged. Overcharging is bad for a battery, but with a good quality charger, & proper set up, it is not usually a prob.

Running a battery so I ran the batteries completely dead
    will swell a battery faster than anything...

ran it hard and when I pulled the batteries out one of em the case pop back together
    If you have to pop the hard case back together........ that is telling me the battery has swelled, Also the possibility that the batts might have been ran to dead... I would not use it.
    Last edited by 87 GN; 07-12-2013 at 10:32 PM.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??