RC Qualifier

Doing the brushless conversion.. just a few questions..

I've been searching the webs for days to no avail.. I've been out of the hobby for a few years now but want to get back in. I don't have the time or patience anymore to run nitro. Don't get me wrong, i love nitro and a few years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of going electric, but I just don't have the time anymore and with summer temps in the 115-120 range here, tuning is a royal pain!

I am currently researching ways to convert my Revo to brushless and I think the best way is to buy the e-revo chassis and go that route.

My questions are;

1. Can i use my 3.3 tranny? Will it mount to the e-revo chassis, even with some minor modification? will the e-revo motor mount, mount to the nitro tranny?

2. If i have to (or should) buy the e-revo tranny, will the slipper clutch and spur from my nitro tranny work on the e-revo tranny? And if it does work, will I be able to mesh a 14-15t pinion and 38-40t spur with the e-revo motor mount?

3. Other than the chassis (skid plates, battery doors, receiver box, etc.) possibly the tranny, and motor mount, is there anything else I am going to need to do this conversion?

Thanks for any help guys.
    my lug-nuts have more torque than your honda

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Racer
    Nooooo don't do it. I just picked up an electroc stampede and after using it for a bit it feels like a toy. So glad that I have my nitro revo. Not bad to get a second truck for just playing around. And it is nice to not have to carry so much stuff but NITRO rocks and is so much more fun. IMHO

RC Qualifier
    Well it seems like the slipper clutch parts share the same part numbers and the motor mount looks like it has plenty of adjustment for smaller mod1 pinion and spur gears.. I hope.

Now i just need to know what gear ratio to shoot for. I'll be running on 4s with as similar to a 2200kv motor as i can find in my price range (recommendations welcome there too).

I believe my current spur is a 38t and according to a spiffy chart i found on the traxxas web site i should be shooting for a ratio like 2.71-1 correct? if my math works out that would be a 15t pinion. anybody care to verify/correct that for me?

RC Qualifier
    well gee.. don't everybody jump in all at once..

You'll probably get more responses in the electric forum.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    You can keep your nitro chassis. You have a few options for conversion kits but the best one I've personally used is the tekno kit. I tried one of the cheaper kits and while it did work it just didn't seem like it would hold up over time (lots of flex in the motor mount).

So get a kit and keep the same tranny. Then you'll have choices to make. Want to keep your mechanical breaks or do you want to use the motor to stop the truck. I dumped the mechanical breaks, put the forward only kit in (since my tranny had reverse) and locked it into 2nd gear. With my mamba monster motor/ esc this thing ran great! I could pull wheelies on demand with a 4s battery pack. The tekno kit is nice, except for the price. If it wasn't for the fact that I ran across a good deal on a e-revo I would be selling the one I converted.

PM me if you have any other questions. I'll help out with whatever I can.