Thread: Crawling setup

RC Racer

Crawling setup

Ok fellow Summiteers, I have had my summit for a few months now and have done lots of bashing and lots of rock crawling. I have decided to set it up primarily for crawling. I am thinking of getting the new Slash for bashing.

Anyway, back to my point. You peeps who mostly crawl, I would love some set up advice. I.E spring stiffness, shock oil weight, toe, camber, gearing. I have just installed KD Dewalt set up, and beefed up the steering servos.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you Summit guru's can bestow upon me.
    Drive Angry My Friends!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Variable damper kit with valve on top
    50wt in front
    50wt with 4 drops of 10k in rear
    Double orange all around

That is my setup.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    I'm running stock springs with just enough preload to have the suspension sit level or just a hair above level, vbr shock pistons with 80wt, mudslingers with the small lugs trimmed flush on stock rims, and homemade skid plates on the lower suspension arms. It has full range of suspension movement at crawling and good handeling at speed

RC Qualifier
    Variable damper kit with # 3 piston valve on top, 80 wt oil, double purple springs in the rear, stock springs in the front, preload set to half in front and fully loaded in rear.
    T-bone skid plates and arms for protection, slippery, and weight.
    Lowered body to reduce center of gravity.
    Mudslinger tires on Geode wheels.
    HPP hubs throughout.
    Savox 1230sg steering servo
    Dewalt 14.4 motor with 17t pinion, stock spur gear.

This combo works well for me and my Terrain. Try adjusting your preloads and springs for what works for you. Mine is a little stiff in the rear and soft in the front. This combo seems to work better for the Mudslingers IMO.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    Variable damper kit with # 3 piston valve on top, 80 wt oil, double purple springs in the rear, stock springs in the front, preload set to half in front and fully loaded in rear.
    T-bone skid plates and arms for protection, slippery, and weight.
    Lowered body to reduce center of gravity.
    Mudslinger tires on Geode wheels.
    HPP hubs throughout.
    Savox 1230sg steering servo
    Dewalt 14.4 motor with 17t pinion, stock spur gear.

This combo works well for me and my Terrain. Try adjusting your preloads and springs for what works for you. Mine is a little stiff in the rear and soft in the front. This combo seems to work better for the Mudslingers IMO.
    Heard a few people talk about lowered body. Is this just lowering the shell on the mounts, or am I missing something?
    Drive Angry My Friends!

RC Racer
    Thanx for all the info guys.
    Drive Angry My Friends!

RC Racer
    Why the double purple springs? Those are designed for the Revo shocks. They are shorter. And doesn't softer suspension work better for crawling so your suspension will articulate and keep all four wheels planted?

Articulation is demonstrated here:

Last edited by Deviate; 07-09-2013 at 07:19 PM.
    Brushless 19/62 SPC 8.2 It's not a Tekin or a MM

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimskull View Post
    Heard a few people talk about lowered body. Is this just lowering the shell on the mounts, or am I missing something?
    I lowered my body so that the body was flush with the bottom of the battery doors. I had to modify the stock body mounts to accomplish this. I also replaced the stock bumper mounts with Revo mounts in order to lower the bumpers down to proper location. I did it for cosmetic reasons more than function but it does make the truck handle better by lowering the c.g.
    Pie tastes better with Cool Whip!

RC Racer
    Thanx for the info...one more question. Doe's toe or camber play a part in crawling or do I leave it the way it came?
    Drive Angry My Friends!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
    Why the double purple springs? Those are designed for the Revo shocks. They are shorter. And doesn't softer suspension work better for crawling so your suspension will articulate and keep all four wheels planted?

Articulation is demonstrated here:

I use the double purple springs which are the stiffest, and adjust for length with the preload nut on the shocks. Even with my truck as stiff as it is, its really not that much different than stock. Yes it articulates very well, its not like it acts as a single axle. The stiffness helps with summit sag, increases the ground clearance, and IMO in the rear it actually helps the rear tires grip better.

The other thing to keep in mind is all the suspense setups should be based on the individual truck. Mine has Mudslinger tires, a complete T-bone system and the truck probably weighs 3 or 4 pounds heavier than stock. I have left my Stock summits pretty much alone other than the preloads are adjusted about half way up. The stock ones do fine, as well as my mods with the stiffer suspension.