RC Qualifier

My Summit is doing weird things

Hi all,

Was driving my Summit today, crawling around some obstacles in my yard, then I went and made some more obstacles and forgot i had left my Summit on for probably two hours!!

When I finished I picked it back up and starting crawling around again, however 5 mins in it just turned off. Lights went off and it wouldn't move etc.

I replaced the lipos with charged ones and turned it back on, but the steering hardly turns at all (none whilst on all 4 wheels and only slightly when lifted off the ground) and when I turn the steering wheel on the tx the lights in the front bumper go off. When the lights go off, I also lose any drive and it won't do anything at all!!

Is there likely to be anything wrong with my ESC?? I have heard about failing servos causing ESC's to weird things. If I have cooked a servo, am I likely to have just killed one, or is it likely both, and how to I check which one?

Cheers
    Last edited by ErbeSumm; 07-10-2013 at 05:30 AM.

RC Qualifier
    hummmmmmm, I have had some wonky things happen to my ESC, but never that. My first guess would be servo(s). I would call traxxas on this one. I'm curious to know if your esc was hot when you left it on for 2 hrs... I really don't think the esc has failed. Keep us updated on this please.

RC Qualifier
    Yes my ESC was quite warm.

I have two 2075 servos from my single servo conversion in my ERBE so ill pull out the two in my Summit and put those two in and see how it goes!

If it is the servo(s) - what will have actually gone wrong with them and is it fixable?

Bash it like someone else has to fix it!

RC Qualifier
    well, hard to know what went wrong, maybe a power surge? Maybe the constant electricity is a problem? I have a Castle Creations esc and if it sits, every few seconds it beeps to let me know that it's on and not doing anything. So maybe it's not good for the RC truck to sit for a long time, while it's on...? As far as fixing the servo.... I donno man, You can open it up and see what the issue may be, if it was in fact the servos...

As far as the esc being warm, that's fine. I was wondering if it was wicked hot. let us know how the fix goes.

BTW.. what type of batteries are you running?

Almost for sure a servo unplug them one at a time.the light issue will go away when the bad servo is unhooked
    The bad one will usually get noticeably
    Warmer than the good one as well.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC poster
    My Summit did the same thing, would not steer and the lights would turn off when I tried to steer it.
    it ended up being one of the steering servos, replaced it and everything worked fine.
    I ended up replacing the bad servo with another stock one, after reading the forums and how it seems steering servos go bad on the Summit ofter I wish I would have upgraded to the stronger single servo that many have done on the forums here. I'll be doing it next time it happens

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    More than likely the servos were slightly off center and trying to center for 2 hours... burning themselves out.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah that's what I thought Jimmie N - are they likely to have both burnt out though??

Bash it like someone else has to fix it!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    More than likely the servos were slightly off center and trying to center for 2 hours... burning themselves out.
    As I was reading this, thats exactly what I was thinking.
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    More than likely they both have burnt.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    So I just finished taking it apart and testing both servos and it was only one. I unplugged one and turned the car on and it faulted, plugged it back in and took the other one out and turned the car on and it didn't fault. Checked that the "non faulty" servo turned oth ways properly which it did and so installed another 2075 from my ERBE single servo conversion and boooom - all fixed!!

RC Racer
    Make sure to center the servos. For $35 at a LHS, they aren't that bad. (If you have a spare )
    Brushless 19/62 SPC 8.2 It's not a Tekin or a MM