RC Competitor

**anyone interested?**

Hey guys,

I've had a Rustler XL-5 for about 3 weeks. I already have a brushless system on the way (will be here in 2 days can't wait!) Basically I won't have a need for the brushed system and I am trying to feel the market and see if anyone would be interested in what I want to sell. Going from brushed to brushless isn't cheap and I'd like to save as much as I can for other little upgrades and such. Also, I kinda took a L because my Rustler came with the older TQ AM transmitter and from what I've researched that's no good with a brushless system. So I'm forced to buy a new radio and will have no use for the old one.

This is what I am looking to get rid of:

Titan® 12-Turn 550 Modified Motor
    XL-5™ Waterproof Electronic Speed Control
    TQ 27MHz AM Transmitter (2-channel) w/ receiver (Model# 2222)
    High-Torque Waterproof Servo (Model# 2056)
    Traxxas Power Cell Battery (NiMH, 7-C Stick) w/ charger

I don't have a set price for anything, just more or less seeing if anyone is interested. I've only ran the car about a dozen times. Nothing crazy, no racing or bashing, just cruising around getting used to everything. All of the parts are basically brand new. I can post pics of everything. I am going to be taking everything out tonight so that I can just install all the new parts by the end of the week. If anyone is interested or has any questions or comments please reply or PM.

Thanks and keep rippin'!!!

RC Champion
    You should probably repost this in the Marketplace thread. That's where buying, selling, trading happens, although only for Traxxas brand stuff, but that's no problem for your list here.

Good luck.

Good choice on upgrading to brushless, BTW. Just FYI, I had two trucks I upgraded to brushless that had TQ 27MHz AM TX/RX combos - one worked fine and had no range issues up to 1250 feet (too far to tell where I'm headed past that!), the other had issues at only 100 - 300 feet. The one with range issues was a much older AM TX/RX combo. I've had good luck with the Traxxas brand TQi 2.4GHz radios, the Flysky GT3B, but bad luck with the 2.4GHz combo from ARRMA. Actually the one that had long range on the AM system has worse range issues with the ARRMA brand 2.4GHz radio, even though it has a Castle brand brushless ESC/motor powering it.

I bought the ARRMA one coz I thought the ambidextrous wheel was cool and maybe it would let me drive two trucks at once. In retrospect, I would buy another Flysky GT3B if I were buying another one now. Just my $0.02.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Competitor
    I appreciate the feedback. I posted in the marketplace the other day but the mod deleted my post because I didn't have pictures or prices. He told me to post here. Marketplace is for serious sellers, I'm only trying to see if anyone would even be interested first. I just ordered a Flysky GT3B last night, can't wait for it to come. I will be pairing it with a Castle Sidewinder SCT combo w/ 1410 3800kv motor and 2s lipo, can't wait for that to come either. I figured why not try to save some money by selling the XL-5 kit and use that money towards the brushless system and atleast try to break even. The stuffs just going to be sitting around taking up space after I'm fully converted to beastly brushless. Once I convert I will take pics of everything and post in marketplace, but for now I just wanted to see if this stuff held anyone's interest.

RC Competitor
    I was going to test out the TQ AM 27mhz but after I saw the GT3B and all the good reviews and the price I just decided to buy it anyway. Hopefully in the end it all works out!

RC Champion
    I would look on eBay and see what XL5's are selling for there, too, for reference.

I have the Castle Sidewinder SCT 3800 on one of my trucks. Its a great combo. I stuck the motor fan over the ESC for extra cooling. Works well.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Competitor
    Yeah I've been lookin around for reference. The ESC is worth a few $, I know the motor really isn't worth much, I'm sure if I was to keep driving it would burn out. I did a ton of research on the Castle stuff and I too plan on putting the fan on the ESC since that seems to be what gets hot, not the motor unless you gear it totally wrong. I believe the one I ordered is of newer stock and comes with the motor fan as well as one for the ESC. I don't think I can really use the motor one anyway because of the trans case, and I doubt the motor will get hot enough to justify cutting the trans case to fit it. Besides cool factor, it's not really worth doing all that. I can't wait to get it tho, one more day and I'm brushless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    _ _
    Law #29: Plan all the way to the end.

RC Competitor
    IDK...Towerhobbies has them for $70...lil bit pricey if u ask me...Ebay has them @ an average price of about $40...mine is slightly used so idk...$25-$30 range... and I'm in Philly... not 100% sure if i'm going to sell it...but then again I really have no need for it since I finally got my Castle setup...sooo idk... might try to sell it on the street since I don't have too much experience with online sales...but there's a first time for everything
    _ _

RC Qualifier
    Typically no one will even bother with a used brushed motor. If they weren't broken in right... They don't last long before they are trash and at $20 for a new one, its just not worth messing with a used one. Just curious... Why swap the servo?

RC Competitor
    Yeah I know...it's not even worth selling...just a keepsake now I suppose...the ESC is still good tho...there may be someone with a kid that's not ready for brushless of whatever and may need a new one or maybe use it in an aircraft...who knows... and as far as the servo..I was under the impression that the stock one wouldn't perform fast enough for the speed and torque of brushless but idk so far so good... for $25 I may upgrade to the 2075 but idk...might be fine where it is...im pretty much just a basher...i don't need my car to be perfect in every single little aspect...but if it becomes a noticable weak point then I will upgrade it
    _ _

RC Qualifier
    I thought my 2056 was fine with brushless power. I was only running nimh batteries and I was a basher too. I'd run it unless you find it to be a problem.

RC Competitor
    yeah that's what I'll do
    _ _

RC Competitor
    Also, my TQ AM transmitter seems to be working better than I expected so far...alot of people said they had to upgrade to 2.4...I ordered a Flysky it's on the way..but the old TQ is working good for now
    _ _

RC Qualifier
    I used my AM transmitter for a while also. It worked fine for me because I never got very far from the truck. The only reason you would need to upgrade is because you will reach the end of your transmitters range a LOt faster now because the truck can go so much faster. If you just bash around the yard, you won't have a problem. If you start going for speed runs and get more than a block or two away, you're going to lose signal and there's no telling what's going to stop your rustler if it takes off on its own with brushless lipo power. I ended up breaking my antenna on my AM transmitter, hurting the range even more. After it took off on its own a few times and ended up in some bushes and a fence, I got a 2.4ghz TX and now it's out of sight wayyyy before its out of range.