RC Qualifier

Tenshock SC401 v2 and Hobbywing sc8 120a Question

Hi,

thinking of getting the above combo, but should i go:

5000, 4400, 3800, or 3400kv?

Ideally i just want more speed and a bit more torque. I don't want a stupid fast out of control type setup. I want to use on 2s mainly, hopefully utilising my regular 2s batts which are 4000 25/50C and 5300 30/60C. And i don't want to be stripping hexes!

help!...

Yo dude if you are going to use 2s only I would go for 4400kv it will be super quick or if you are going to run 3s in the future I would go with the 3800kv ......peace...ps the 3400kv is a torque monster for its size
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Competitor
    Dude, make sure and check, but there is a certain firmware that could hurt your motor if it's 4 or 6 pole. See link - http://www.hobbywing.com/product_show.asp?id=218

Happy Bashing!!
    Bash'em, then Bash'em, then Bash'em some more!!

RC Qualifier
    I would get the 3800 or the 3400 I like to stay away from the higher kvs but I use the stock VXL system with badlands and get too much wheelie - ing action with 3s which makes it hard to go fast...but that's on a pretty high traction place
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Champion
    You may want higher C rated batteries too.
    / 16

NO experience with the Tenshock motors but if you are sticking with 2s I would go for the 5000kv or 4400kv motor. It takes a higher kv to get the most out of a 2s set up. I have a 5700 Castle motor in my P4de right now.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Guys I have been running my tenshock sc411 3500kv for over 11 months now on 2s and 3s and its awesome but as I said in my post earlier if ONLY 2s go 4400kv or 3800kv its the sweet spot motor for 2s but if Cossack does want to run a 3s now and again go 3400kv or 3800kv max.......PEACE

RC Qualifier
    Cheers guys. If i do go for the 4400kv motor on 2s, how will it compare to the stock system? Also, any advice ongearing?

It will be much faster than stock and have more torque. and I would start with 13t pinion and see what your temps are like and go from there dude.......peace

RC Qualifier
    I like the sound of that! More speed and torque, but hopefully controllable and not too harsh on driveline. Only trouble is that funshobby.com is sold out and i'm not sure i trust aliexpress.com. May have to wait.

They are both good places to get your new combo dude and the torque will not be as heavy as the 3400kv or 3800kv but it will a rocket with the 4400kv dude and the driveline will be fine as long as you set up the slipper right ........peace

RC Qualifier
    So aliexpress is okay? I'm confused as to why funshobby stock it on ali express and not on their own website!? Wondered if it was a scam. Cool sounds like the 4400kv will suit me then. I've got the upgraded revo spec slipper plates and pads so should be no probs there, in fact, it is asking for more power!!! thanks again, very helpful!!! Oh and where to order pinions?

I get mine from modelsport you will need 5mm 32dp and the make is RW racing and they cost 4.60 and are very well built and the grub screws are strong ......peace

RC Qualifier
    Cheers mate, i finally took the plunge and ordered it :-) went for the 4400kv, hopefully the right one for me!

As long as you get the gearing right you maybe able to run 3s as well dude but it will make you happy man.......peace

Make sure you report back with some pics and a review. I'm curious about your new setup. And that's the kv I would have chosen for 2s lipo.
    Last edited by O.G.; 07-11-2013 at 11:45 AM.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Will do - i'm keen to get it up and running but it will probably be mid august once it's arrived and been installed. They are actually out of stock right now, but apparently a shipment is due in on Saturday (not holding my breath). In the mean time i'll get my stock electronics in to a 2wd drive stampede i ordered, so that i don't have 'down time'. Sold all my other RC's a while ago, and kept piling the money in to the stampede!

My only reservations now are gearing and batteries. In an ideal world i should get more powerful batteries.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 07-11-2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Content

This thread has seen posts edited and removed. Come on guys when Traxxas filters a website or brand name it means they do NOT want it discussed on this forum. It does NOT mean members should find ways around the filter or to reference the banned products by using the battery specs or any other means. Doing so may earn you infractions/warning points.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Quote Originally Posted by cossack4 View Post
    My only reservations now are gearing and batteries. In an ideal world i should get more powerful batteries.
    Agreed, in an ideal world we would all have bigger lipo's. Check out SPC for decent prices in good lipos.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    I finally have it installed and working, for anyone interested, here are a few pics of the install:

Size comparison:

Dremel to make room for longer motor:

Turned ESC mount other way round and shaved some off to get it to fit:

Hey Presto (switch mounted on servo for time being):

So far, i'm happy with it, i wanted a bit faster and cooler than stock, and that is what i got! So far i've used it with a 13t pinion gear and it runs sooo cool and is quick! Gonna crank up the settings on the ESC and mount 15t pinion next. Cheers...

Nice dude I am very stoked that you are getting the results that you are looking for and the 15t pinion and taking the punch up a level or two will make it a bit of an animal.....peace

Spencer

That's close to how I put mine in and Cossack another person I converted to tenshock lol............peace

RC Qualifier
    That is one Beautiful Motor. Nice and shinny. Oh Wait, and Powerfull. That why I have one too. You'll love it.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Qualifier
    Cheers guys - yes i'm lovin' this combo - had it out last night with new gearing and i love it, really flying now!! Happy Days...

Good stuff man what gearing are you running now?................peace

RC Qualifier
    i just installed the 15t pinion, with standard spur, top speed is goooood

RC Racer
    Looking good man!

I bet because my 3500kv goes fast on 2s with the 15t so yours must go fast dude.......peace