RC Qualifier

Canyons are expensive

Canyon tires are expensive. My tires are full of muddy water. I'm drying them as we speak in the sun, but I have a feeling that the foam inside the tires are probably not good. Was thinking on boiling the tires off the rim, replacing the foam and them gluing them back together. Thoughts?

RC Qualifier
    Actually in comparison to other tires, Ie Trenchers, Slingers etc the Canyons are less money. $28 for 2 tires or $45 for two tires and Geode wheels. You might want to use this as an opportunity to upgrade your tires. I put a set of Mudslingers on my geode wheels and they fit like a glove - tires only with foam $40 for two. For about the same money as the Canyons you can get the Trencher 40 series on a Tech 5 wheels $45 for two. I have not boiled tires so I don't know if you can reuse them. I think you can. Have you got a line on the foams to replace in your Canyons. I like both these tires better than the canyons. Did you try cutting small holes (about 4) in the center of the tires and run them on the Summit to evacuate the water from the foam? If you search the Summit forum there are some threads about cutting small holes in the tire to eliminate this problem.

RC Champion
    what was said above.. the canyons are cheep.. Look on ebay you can find a set of 4 for around $50 or less including rims. But take this as a sign to upgrade. I found the easiest way to put holes in the tires is to heat up a drill bit and push it through. Then when your truck is sitting have the holes down and over time any remaining water will come out.

RC Qualifier
    I have a set of MudSlingers on the truck now, but those things are heavy. I have to adjust my driving if I'm tromping through mud with em. The Canyons seem to climb better also. I'll adjust my search for Canyons. Maybe I can get a better deal on them.

RC Champion
    do you have your slingers trimmed? it saves allot of weight. i can go through anything with mine with stock setup.. also try lowering you pinion a tooth or 2 it will bring the truck close to stock with the big slingers

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    what was said above.. the canyons are cheep.. Look on ebay you can find a set of 4 for around $50 or less including rims. But take this as a sign to upgrade. I found the easiest way to put holes in the tires is to heat up a drill bit and push it through. Then when your truck is sitting have the holes down and over time any remaining water will come out.
    As for the putting holes in the tires.....Crock said to heat a drill bit.........just DONT try to drill the hole!!!!! The bit will grab the foam and tear a chunk out of it.

I took a coat hanger and heated the tip. The hanger will melt a perfect hole in the tire. The drill bit would do the same I just didn’t want you to try to drill the hole and not poke the hole.

I poked two (2) holes in centerline of each tire 180 apart from one another. Worked great.
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

You can get a brand new set with tires, rings, and rims for $56.
    http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/servlet/...E-TIRES/Detail
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    That is a steal deal. Makes me want to order another set on top of the 4 extra sets I have. I need to go to JAMAAN'S support group for tire addicts

RC Qualifier
    I've boiled tires before to unglue them and it worked pretty good. Patience is key.
    Once they were boiling I used thick leather gloves and slowly peeled the bead away from the wheel, it came off easy. The parts that were harder I would put back in the water and try a few minutes later. I kept the water boiling at a slow boil rather than full on. I used a large pot and did two tires at a time working them slowly off the wheel.
    I did have some glue residue on the bead of the tire which I removed with aa Dremel but you can use sandpaper.
    Both wheels and tires were usable again.
    Careful not to rip the tires when you try to peel them off. Careful don't burn yourself as the tires and wheels will be pretty hot. THICK leather gloves.
    Good luck.
    IMO Nothing beats the Canyons for what they were designed...
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rcapilli View Post
    Canyon tires are expensive. My tires are full of muddy water. I'm drying them as we speak in the sun, but I have a feeling that the foam inside the tires are probably not good. Was thinking on boiling the tires off the rim, replacing the foam and them gluing them back together. Thoughts?
    Don't write off the Canyons because the foams are wet. Put a couple of drain holes in the tires 180 degrees apart. Squeeze as much water out as you can and then let them sit overnight with the drain holes at the bottom and then squeeze them again. Repeat. Once you have removed most of the water this way place the truck upside down and run it at full throttle until the water stops spraying out.
    Your foams will eventually break down and the tires will start to sag out but this really helps the Canyons conform to the ground. They work really well for crawling this way. I am running season number four on my bagger Canyons and won't retire them until they literally fall of the rim.
    Pie tastes better with Cool Whip!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Holy cow. I can totally do that. I will also put some holes in my other canyons and sling the water out as suggested above. Thanks guys!!!!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcapilli View Post
    Holy cow. I can totally do that. I will also put some holes in my other canyons and sling the water out as suggested above. Thanks guys!!!!!!!
    be careful with putting holes in your tires though, it can be the starting point of shredding tires. If I were you i'll just tape the holes in the inner part of the rim when running on wet surfaces.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Qualifier
    I melted 6 holes in each of my canyons and have not a single tear where the holes are. The trick is to melt them inside the big center lug so there is lots of tire meat to help hold em together. The water exit my tires with in three feet of whatever water i just drove through and i can never squeeze any water out after my runs. Also i dont think think summits have enough wheel speed to shred a tire.