RC Qualifier

boiling tires and stuff

Do you know if I boil the tires off my rims, if I can re-glue them again? I want to tape my tires and re-glue them back to the rims they were on. Any ideas?

RC Champion
    Yes, though you may ruin the foams inside.

RC Qualifier
    ah, okay. thanks

Foams are cheap. Chances are the foam may already be wearing out anyway.
    Last edited by O.G.; 07-09-2013 at 09:54 AM.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Enthusiast
    Might smell a bit...... Bought my 4pede from someone in a house wich was a bit....... dont know, kinda strange smell. That same smell came out of the tires when I tried to boil them....... awfull, but most of the time its just fine. If you have chrome on your wheels it might be a bit disapointing since the chrome gets a white layer on top of it.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Boiling sucks, baking sucks. I use acetone.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Boiling sucks, baking sucks. I use acetone.
    X2.

Jang on URC has a great YouTube video on ungluing tires.

The annoying thing about acetone is having to leave them in the bath for about two days.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    I bake mine at 400. It stinks up the place, but works every time. The glue also melts, making removal of the excess easy.

When using acetone, you just rinse them off. There is nothing extra left stuck to the tires or rims...

And there are lots of vids for you to watch on youtube and get the job done......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Racer
    yeah right boiling only takes thirty minutes. Acetone takes all night.

Definitely boil, outside.

I have tried boiling 4 times. The last time I boiled for an hour and a half. I still had about an hour of dremeling off the glue and rubber that was still stuck to the rims.

Acetone was much easier, and I slept well that night knowing that I did not have all that extra work to do lol.

Just pull them out of the acetone bath, rinse, and the rims are perfect and ready for the new tires and vice versa...

RC Racer
    Baking is the best IMO. Acetone can work the best by far but it is time consuming as mentioned and you have to buy acetone I guess I have not boiled yet but to me seems like would have more of a chance of warping your rim in water but idk for sure.
    When I bake I put oven at 350 then put the wheels in for 20 minutes. Then take 2 towels and pull the tire from the rim. Jang used like metal tongs which was dumb to me. Just pull the tire from the rim with the 2 towels. You might be able to do both sides after one bake but if not just put back in flipped over the other way and re-bake 20. Then do the same and pull them off. Now that you have the tires off if there happens to be a lot of glue on them you can just back the tires them self and just take a dull x-acto or flat tip and the glue will flake off quite easy. Hope that helps! PM me if need more info
    Slash Ultimate
    TLR SCTE 2.0

RC Qualifier
    This debate can go forever, as everybody has got different result. Watch URC's video, it will help you a lot.

In my experience, I tried hybrid method. First, I boiled my tire to unglue them (took only 20 minute each) and after used acetone to remove extra glue. This avoid the foam to be in the acetone, which is likely to scrap them.

CHROME WHEEL DO NOT LIKE ACETONE!!! Even in boiling method, hot water dissolve the glue and the glue will damage the chrome.
    ... for the fun of excess!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I have tried boiling 4 times. The last time I boiled for an hour and a half. I still had about an hour of dremeling off the glue and rubber that was still stuck to the rims.

Acetone was much easier, and I slept well that night knowing that I did not have all that extra work to do lol.

Just pull them out of the acetone bath, rinse, and the rims are perfect and ready for the new tires and vice versa...
    What tires do you have? I had stampede 4x4 stocks.

Not all tires like acetone either. First time we tried it was on a set of stock E Savage tires and the rubber turned to jelly and made huge mess leaving the tires unusable.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Proline tires are fine with acetone.

I use AKA tire glue. The only thing that will release it is acetone. Hot water does not work...

RC Racer
    ok sorry for putting down the acetone method.

I think part of this debate has to do with time.

I always have several projects going at the same time, so waiting for the acitone to work is no big deal.

If swapping out a set of tires on a set of rims is the only thing on your RC plate, then I can see wanting to find a quicker way to do it.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Have not tried baking since a lot of people tell me that it really stinks up the whole house.

I tried boiling at first, but I'm not really happy how tedious it was in the end since I had to take out/shave off some of the glue that was not softened by the boiling process. Acetone on the other hand, worked best for me. I just soaked the rims and tires on a smal bucket filled with acetone and in one day, voila! Glue became like jelly (So much easier to remove). Here's a reminder: Before doing the acetone method, make sure to check if the wheels and tires do not react with acetone. You can test this by getting a cottom ball or q-tip. Pour some acetone on it and just rub a small section of the wheel and tire for about a minute or so. Leave wheels and tires aside. If you don't see any changes in smell or integrity of the wheel and tire after 30 mins, then your good. I have RPM wheels and proline mashers when I did the acetone mehtod. There were no reactions at all! I left it in a place where there were no open flames close to it and one where there were no people or animals close to it. Just like rag6, I also got to sleep pretty good the whole night while waiting for the acetone to do its thing.
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 07-13-2013 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Added more info...
    I want an avatar... 3000 posts here we go!

RC Qualifier
    Guess I'm glad I use duratrax glue. Holds fairly well and I can pull the tires off the rim when I need to.

Sent from my phone.

RC Competitor
    I use both the baking/acetone methods! first I bake at 325 for half an hour, the tire just popps off the rim, then I pull out the foams, set them aside, then soak the tires and rims in the acetone for a few hours! baking takes the tires off quickly and easily. the acetone removes all the glue quickly after they have been dismounted so they are like new and clean for reglueing!