RC poster

Project 1/6 FPV Brushless E-maxx

Hey guys, check out my new project.
    Ive been getting interested in FPV and I wanted to try it on the ground before I take to the sky. So I figured a emaxx would make the perfect base for my rig. I made a extended chassis out of aluminum. The newbright hummer body is held on similar to the stock body. Im using the 2 speed transmission with the wide gear ratios like the traxxas summit. For now Im using 2 ds1015 servos for steering, A mamba pro esc, and a 2100kv brushless motor.

For my "Ground Station" I threw one together with some foam, a used car stereo, and some old batteries to power it. Im using a cheap wireless home security camera for video and audio. Some old futaba servos were perfect for a basic pan and tilt mechanism. And finally I wired everything to a DX6i with a full range receiver.

Wow I had no idea how much fun FPV could be. It made me feel like I was driving my first rc car again but more fun. Things seem to happen much quicker when your driving FPV and I couldnt help but see how fast I could make a laps around my house.

Well enjoy the pictures, and to anyone thats thinking about getting started in FPV I would say go ahead its easy and loads of fun!

HV Summit, ERBE, Shash 4x4, Revo 3.3, Rally VXL

RC Champion
    That's a cool idea burnt. I like it.

RC Enthusiast
    I am in the process of doing the same thing! How do you feel about driving with the dx6i? I just got into the hobby and I've only barely driven with a surface radio so I thought maybe I could learn with an air radio...

Is it harder or at the end do you think you could be equal with a surface radio user

RC Qualifier
    That is really cool, what is your range like? How far can you go? Do you ever have any interference? What do you use to view?

RC Qualifier
    Nice work mate. Curiosity watch out.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC poster
    Thanks guys,
    Driving fpv in general is so much different than driving like normal that it wasnt much harder just to pick up a new radio and learn with it. I will say this im a pretty decent driver but speed with FPV kills! I havent broke so many parts in quite a while haha. I now normally keep the truck in first unless im ripping it down the road.

I really needed to go with the spectrum DSM2 radio anyway for the range since my surface radios were only reaching about 50 yards, maybe the video transmitter was interfearing, im not sure.

Right now im only getting about 100 yards before the video cuts out but im going to try some different antennas today. Also thats without moving the ground station outside which im sure will also increase my range.

Im going to wire up a dvd player for a bigger screen for video and im going to try to hook up a better camera today
    HV Summit, ERBE, Shash 4x4, Revo 3.3, Rally VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt View Post
    Thanks guys,
    Driving fpv in general is so much different than driving like normal that it wasnt much harder just to pick up a new radio and learn with it. I will say this im a pretty decent driver but speed with FPV kills! I havent broke so many parts in quite a while haha. I now normally keep the truck in first unless im ripping it down the road.

I really needed to go with the spectrum DSM2 radio anyway for the range since my surface radios were only reaching about 50 yards, maybe the video transmitter was interfearing, im not sure.

Right now im only getting about 100 yards before the video cuts out but im going to try some different antennas today. Also thats without moving the ground station outside which im sure will also increase my range.

Im going to wire up a dvd player for a bigger screen for video and im going to try to hook up a better camera today
    Well I am not sure what your budget is, but if you look at aviation FPV guys usaully a decent fpv goes for +$250. I forget the name its dragon link or something like that. This is what I had in mind for mine.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-8G-2000mW-...item20d2cb0755
    2000mw and a directional antenna, they advertise over 4km with this setup but realistically it would be way less.