RC Racer

Pinion Screw ? always come loose.

I have robinson 24t pinion on my castlw 2200kv. The scew on the pinion always come loose.

Anyone else experience that as well ? What solution to helpm

Just use a small dab or two of blue Loctite and let it dry for 12-24 hours and you should be sorted dude.......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Racer
    Will I still be able to remove it after wards ?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by B-4X4 View Post
    Will I still be able to remove it after wards ?
    No problem removing it at all.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

Loctite is a solution that should work however if you use a good quality hex driver and get the set screw lined up on the flat spot on the motor shaft you really should not need the loctite.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    Use the Blue thread locker like he said....I made the mistake of using the red thread locker and I stripped out 4 or 5 allen renches before I got it out. I had to pull my motor out and heat up the gear with a lighter and the heat helped break it loose. Lets just say it was a learning experience! I never would have thought the red would bite that good.

RC Qualifier
    And remember, most Robinson pinions are not metric so check before you use the wrong tool. Would hate to see you strip a grub screw.

Sent from my phone.

RC Qualifier
    Another good tip is to clean the grub screw. Use wire wheel on dremel then use alcohol (rubbing) on a rag and wipe it down. If your not already doing this then it should help.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

RC Racer
    Thanks for all the advice. Will try the blue loctite.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Loctite is a solution that should work however if you use a good quality hex driver and get the set screw lined up on the flat spot on the motor shaft you really should not need the loctite.
    I agree. Why spend $6 for thread locker and wait for it to cure when you could just buy a quality hex driver and play right away?
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty don View Post
    Another good tip is to clean the grub screw. Use wire wheel on dremel then use alcohol (rubbing) on a rag and wipe it down. If your not already doing this then it should help.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2
    When I read this I just had visions in my head of a grub screw flying across the room when trying to clean with a dremel. Its pretty small to clean with a dremel IMO. I soak it in brake cleaner, then use a tooth brush to remove old lock tite. That method works really well for me .

RC Competitor
    Dude, blue locktite. It works great and is easy to get off if needed.

Happy Bashing!!
    Bash'em, then Bash'em, then Bash'em some more!!

RC Competitor
    blue loctite on all metal to metal screws/nuts. for worn plastic screw holes use a dab of tire glue.

RC Competitor
    I had to do the blue loctite on my 2200kv also and it has worked very well.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    I agree. Why spend $6 for thread locker and wait for it to cure when you could just buy a quality hex driver and play right away?
    yes and use loctite!

And guys just to let you know that if you keep the glues,and threadlock in the fridge they last of ages which is a good thing and will save you cash......peace

RC Competitor
    Thanks thats good to know.

RC Qualifier
    Dad is exactly right on the money. I have a 2200kv 1/8 scale from CC and I was having an issue with the pinion that came in the box so I decided to get a traxxas emax pinion because the grub screw is bigger and used a really good hex driver because I was using a handheld black & decker drill always breaks at the end of my hex plug in and got tired of it. Oh when I put the emax on the motor shaft I didn't even use loctite and since then I have had no issues since but I do suggest putting loctite and using a strong hex driver.

I'm convinced the key is a good hex driver. If you want to use Loctite that is ok but I really dont think you need it. If you do use Loctite you better be sure you have a good driver has I have seen more grub screws get stripped out from people using the wrong Loctite and it working too good and then a sub standard hex tool wipes out the grub screw and they cant get the pinion off.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    I'm convinced the key is a good hex driver. If you want to use Loctite that is ok but I really dont think you need it. If you do use Loctite you better be sure you have a good driver has I have seen more grub screws get stripped out from people using the wrong Loctite and it working too good and then a sub standard hex tool wipes out the grub screw and they cant get the pinion off.
    I've experienced that where I stripped the grub screw on my MIPS CVD axle so I couldn't get it off so i had to buy the piece that connected to the differential gear output and buy a new differential gear output so that is a learning experience. So I no longer use any loctite. The loctite I used was blue and I stripped the grub screw. My only choices we to heating it with a blow torch and using a good hex driver which didn't help me.
    Last edited by jtalaue; 07-26-2013 at 08:54 PM.

RC Competitor
    what was the emax pinion that you used. Part#would be great beacaue I did loctite my pinion and I just hope that it comes off.

RC Champion
    Removal is very SIMPLE , apply heat to the screw and pinion, usually one of the "micro hand held torch" is great for this small screw, it will come right out.

Purple will come apart with hand tools, not recommended in "heat applications" , motor gets 160f so don't use this
    Blue generaly come apart with HEAT or by Shocking it "hammer" too small in this application
    Red will usually ONLY come apart with HEAT, lots of it
    Green usually needs HEATED to very HOT
    Last edited by akesj1; 08-01-2013 at 07:50 PM.
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe596 View Post
    what was the emax pinion that you used. Part#would be great beacaue I did loctite my pinion and I just hope that it comes off.
    Take your pick.

http://buy.traxxas.com/default.php?c...91_18557_18373

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the link. That helps alot jtalaue

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe596 View Post
    Thanks for the link. That helps alot jtalaue
    No problem Joe oh remember the 2200kv & 2650kv have 5mm shafts so if you find a pinion that is 32 pictures 5mm then you're good to go in buying it I believe. As for the other motors Castle Creations has right now they all vaiy.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the heads up!

RC Qualifier
    Darn auto correct pictutes=pitch vaiy=vary

I use Rw racing 5mm 32dp pinion and so far they are the best of all brands I have tried and show no wear......peace

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jtalaue View Post
    Dad is exactly right on the money. I have a 2200kv 1/8 scale from CC and I was having an issue with the pinion that came in the box so I decided to get a traxxas emax pinion because the grub screw is bigger and used a really good hex driver because I was using a handheld black & decker drill always breaks at the end of my hex plug in and got tired of it. Oh when I put the emax on the motor shaft I didn't even use loctite and since then I have had no issues since but I do suggest putting loctite and using a strong hex driver.
    Traxxas pinions have blue thread locker on the grub screw.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC poster
    I use red that is used for head studs on cars, works great just have to heat with a lighter in order to remove it.

I not too sure about using red threadlock on the pinion but on MIPS yes but hey if it works for you and you can take it off its all good......peace