Thread: AK SNO's E-Revo

RC Qualifier

AK SNO's E-Revo

Got a little free time for once so I figured I would make a thread for my E-Revo.

I am just getting back into the hobby after being out of it for quite some time.

Sooo...I ordered a pair of 5s lipos and got her going again for the first time in probably 2 years. I used to run 4s and my what a difference the 5s is, I love it. Although I've always been stubborn about running a tight slipper, I finally had to loosen it up to stop stripping gears with the added power of 5s. Took it to a bmx track a few days ago and broke a few parts, so now I'm waiting for parts. Damage included a stub axle, two 17mm adapters, rear bulkhead in 2 places, an RPM a-arm, twisted center driveshaft, a wing cross brace, and a blown shock.

Here she is at the moment. Banged up, disassembled, and very dirty.

This was a couple years ago when I still ran it frequently.

I plan to update this thread from time to time, maybe post up some pictures of previous versions of the truck and just general rc stuff. Hopefully I'll stick around for a while.
    Last edited by AK SNO RIDER; 07-07-2013 at 11:33 PM.
    Using while stupid may cause serious injury.

RC Qualifier
    Wait - "a pair of 5S lipos"???

You're running 10S?

Or just one battery at a time and leaving the other battery tray empty? If so, what mah 5S batteries are you using that fit in the batt trays? Run time?
    Last edited by ErbeSumm; 07-08-2013 at 08:18 AM.

RC Qualifier
    IMO opinion with the traxxas e-REVO there is 2 batery spots!

So you run 2s each side in series for 4s (14.8v) total
    Or you run 3s each side in series for 6s (22.2v) total - 6s is to much for the traxxas plastic boys! It will break everything more soon then later! Stock form or upgraded.

Traxxas is very smart to have upgrades that will make it more expensive and more breakable. Which means... buy buy buy buy!! lol anyway...

If he said he had ran 4s a long time ago, maybe series 2s+2s=4s or maybe 4s+4s paralell=4s... imo he made the jump for 5s on each batery compartement in parallel giving the ESC all the C's doubles baterys can give. But even on 5s the e-revo is such a monster that it bleeds from the inside!

I have the opinion that traxxas with the price that toy cost, should make an e-revo 2, with some serious Mugen/Xray/Serpent tranny alike... and come with a ESC with a sensored system. Otherway the E-Revo in condemend to be a monster only... it bleeds it's guts out everytime a +4s is applied! IMHO just mainly because the secret is not to make wheelies at desire! If so ... breakage is going to happen!

ahahaha and maybe callin not bullet proof but just RC proof! don't need to make marketing lalaland that teenagers love! If you grab a piece of a mugen diff you know... and they don't says it's bazuca proof! Wrong marketing! lol imo!

E-REVO it's a great car, great design, great american looks (bad and wild) but lacks enormelly on not having a eletrics sensored system and a real world RC tranny! Not integy Traxxas plastic! lol
    Don't get me wrong, the E-revo as the most powerfull diffs that traxxas have to offer. But they are butter for the e-revo design coming with such a good ESC/motor that can handle 6s or 5s or whatever....

Or maybe just think out of the box... and come out with a roller e-revo2 capable of accepting 1/8 parts from the real RC brands! And then the customers more advanced can have the choice to put what they think it's better then traxxas, and sure is! And keep selling the e-revo for kids! imho!

Quote Originally Posted by ErbeSumm View Post
    Wait - "a pair of 5S lipos"???

You're running 10S?

Or just one battery at a time and leaving the other battery tray empty? If so, what mah 5S batteries are you using that fit in the batt trays? Run time?
    Last edited by targetingxmod; 07-08-2013 at 09:03 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah so is he running 2x5S lipos in parallel??

Run time??

RC Qualifier
    Yep, two 5s 2700 mAh in parallel for a total of 5400 mAh. I will get a good estimate of run time once I have it all back together and have put a couple charges through it. As of now I have only managed to get one full run before breaking anything and I wasn't keeping track of time. I have run 4s in both series and parallel configurations in the past.

I agree that Traxxas needs to make a stronger driveline for the ERevo. They say it was designed to handle 6s, but even with just 4s you have to run the slipper much looser than I like, and be easy on the throttle not to mangle the stock plastic driveshafts. And theres still the tranny and diffs to worry about. I chewed through 4 spur gears on 5s before I finally backed the slipper off some. I will probably hook castle link up sometime soon and try out the punch control feature.
    Last edited by AK SNO RIDER; 07-08-2013 at 01:48 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Finally got the truck all back together tonight. Pics to come! Some new parts, cleaned the whole truck, cleaned/lubed all the bearings, rebuilt the shocks+new springs, etc....Can't wait to drive it tomorrow!

RC Enthusiast
    A good 4s setup is fine for general bashing which the e revo can handle but 6s is just plain stupid imo. Unless you like high speed passes which get boring but then you could argue that if you just want speed youve bought the wrong car.

RC Qualifier
    One point in favour of traxxas is that the e-revo line is very versatile, you can make it like stock (monster or very monster) or a track RC (racer) or a speed demon. That's why she's not the queen at any! Just a bride on each! lol
    Many say that about the summit!

God dam Traxxas... start using sensored system on yours Castle ESC's and Motor's and buyers will be more enjoying their traxxas produtcs.... instead of upgrading and upgrading... and upgrading your pockets!
    Blah blah blah, invent some sort of plastic(you are heros on plastic department) to secure the sensored cable from the esc to the motor for the bash nerds! ahaha

5s is a good compromise for speed and power, and not being to wild like 6s! But for the majority 6s is only way for broken parts! lol

And another one good thing about traxxas is that they nailed it on the LCG for the Slash Rc's! For making it more real RC, and not troll driving kids toys!
    I think they listen to the public!

Quote Originally Posted by Sithercguy View Post
    A good 4s setup is fine for general bashing which the e revo can handle but 6s is just plain stupid imo. Unless you like high speed passes which get boring but then you could argue that if you just want speed youve bought the wrong car.
    Last edited by targetingxmod; 07-10-2013 at 08:01 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I do agree on a track in most cases the 4s guy would be able to have more access to his power than the 6s guy who is feathering the throttle for fear of flipping onto his roof. Same goes for bashing for instance just because you can buy 2x 4s lipo packs and go 8s , modify you battery compartment and run like your hairs on fire doesnt mean you can expect your drivetrain to keep up. Its all about balance in the end.

RC Qualifier
    I'm really liking the 5s for bashing, I definitely wouldn't go to 6s, it would be foolish in my opinion. I took the truck out for its maiden voyage after this rebuild. Ran awesome until I made the mistake of jumping off the top of a little cliff. Overshot the downhill and landed completely flat from 30+ feet up.

Snapped the front right rocker arm post clean off. Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to extract it so I will have to replace that half of the bulkhead

RC Enthusiast
    Must admit 5s sounds interesting earlier in the post i was a little distressed when i thought you were on 10s total!

Bad news about the rocker arm mate though its all part of the game as im sure you know. Thought of a revo being a shelf queen kinda upsets me so keep up the good work im sure if the revo had a brain it would be thankful that your using it how it is intended to be used.
    Erevo with xerun brushless system

RC Qualifier
    Just stripped out yet another spur gear running on pavement. Gonna swap back to mod 1 gearing like I used to run, just need to order up a bigger mod 1 pinion. I've finally got pictures uploading to photobucket now as well.

RC Qualifier
    So, details on the latest rebuild. (from a few days ago)

After I broke the truck, I decided that after sitting for so long, that I would go ahead and do a slight overhaul on it.

I started by disassembling everrrrythingggg. Did it in stages. Cleaned every single piece, cleaned and lubed every bearing. Replaced any worn rod ends with new ones.

I discovered that somehow I managed to crack my front aluminum diff cup. I was almost impressed. Replaced it with a plastic one, and put new fluid in both diff cups, and greased the ring/pinion.

I finally got my parts order in.

Finally got steel center driveshafts. I hate the blue boots but I don't want to spend the time to dye them like I did my others, since they are hidden under the truck anyway. Also had to get new 17mm adapters, so I went for the red ones this time around.

Rebuilt the shocks. Fresh oil, new seals, new springs.

Then finally I put everything back together.

So clean now, it was such a dirty oily mess before.

Last edited by AK SNO RIDER; 07-12-2013 at 06:39 AM.

RC Qualifier
    The finished product. It still needs new wheels/tires/shell. But those will all have to wait as I have other expenses.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AK SNO RIDER View Post
    Just stripped out yet another spur gear running on pavement. Gonna swap back to mod 1 gearing like I used to run, just need to order up a bigger mod 1 pinion. I've finally got pictures uploading to photobucket now as well.
    The HPP motor brace I installed (did the HPP wheel hexes at the same time) was the best upgrade(s) I've done. I honestly haven't stripped a single spur gear since installing it six months ago!!

Bash it like someone else has to fix it!

RC Qualifier
    I remember back when that brace was still in development. It looks real nice and I really should get one. I'm just trying not to spend very much money on RC right now. Of course we all know how that usually turns out...

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    You go out to the hobby shop or to the web shopping trying to waste 20dollars on rc parts, and on the end of the day, you don't tell your wife you just buy 200dollars on rc parts!
    Same thing everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by AK SNO RIDER View Post
    I remember back when that brace was still in development. It looks real nice and I really should get one. I'm just trying not to spend very much money on RC right now. Of course we all know how that usually turns out...

RC poster
    Same thing even in Sweden :-)

RC Racer
    If it gets real bad, you have to do some "creative financing".

RC Enthusiast
    What rims and tires?

I discovered that somehow I managed to crack my front aluminum diff cup. I was almost impressed. Replaced it with a plastic one, and put new fluid in both diff cups, and greased the ring/pinion.

That might be the first cracked alum carrier I have ever seen...........
    hummmm??
    truck is looking good by the way...
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nefoley View Post
    What rims and tires?
    They are the old 3.2" Proline Badlands stretched onto some Jconcepts Half-ups 1/2" offset wheels. (dyed black) both of which, unfortunately, have been discontinued

It's a killer setup and I can't believe they've both been discontinued. Really stupid of both companies if you ask me...