RC Qualifier

How much do ERBE cost to run

Been looking into getting an ERBE and want to know how much these beasts cost to run when you guys use them, such as peices most frequently broken and the cost of tires and how fast they burn thru, thanks, as always
    8 traxxas models and counting....

RC Enthusiast
    it really depends hugely on weather you intend to run a 6s setup ...do you want to get the huge 7" plus wheels? all i break are half shafts now and then. and a diff every 20 runs or so you'll ofcourse trash a body post here and there you'll need to stock a few of those. and the wing mount will get broken but not very often ..i recommend lock tighting the center support for the wing mount. mine is pretty cheap to run when i first got it i went out and bought a ton of spare parts and i still have most of them collecting dust in my basement...the e revo is very....very tough...you'll be amazed.. the shaft shafts are 10 to 15.00usd the differentials 20 to 30.00 .. if you bash really hard you may want a set of bulkheads they to are inexpensive. i would also recomend ditching the stock wheels/tires and getting a rev 3.3 wheel set..those tires are really nice excellent tread and compound for all terrain driving.

RC Racer
    The only cost you will have after set up cost ie batteries and charger is breakages. so if you break nothing $0

RC Qualifier
    I plan to run on pavement, sand/gravel, and grass, im planning on buying the ERBE from tower hobbies with the 6s lipos im going to buy 4s to run it on normally but to show off im going to use 3s and maybe 3s occasionally, so how much do you guys pay for wheels and tires and what are the best for the terrain above, thanks guys

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    I enjoy running mine on 4s, its plenty fast for me and less breakage lol. as for wheels, I like the geode due to its 1/2 offset which make your truck wider and for tires I like the stock maxx tires or you can go with PL badlands.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-5671...item5af23776ac

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Line-3-8...item2ec809c509

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TRAXXAS-...item232c1986ed

I like to buy mine separately cause I want to taped them tires
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Qualifier
    Any other opinions? All are welcome

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    I enjoy running mine on 4s, its plenty fast for me and less breakage lol. as for wheels, I like the geode due to its 1/2 offset which make your truck wider and for tires I like the stock maxx tires or you can go with PL badlands.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-5671...item5af23776ac

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Line-3-8...item2ec809c509

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TRAXXAS-...item232c1986ed

I like to buy mine separately cause I want to taped them tires
    yep those are it..the last link...in my opinion the best general basher tire on the market. but they get eaten by paved surfaces fairly quickly as does the other suggestion. there are some onroad 40 series tires though far better for paved surfaces "obviously"

Quote Originally Posted by discipleofchaos View Post
    yep those are it..the last link...in my opinion the best general basher tire on the market. but they get eaten by paved surfaces fairly quickly as does the other suggestion. there are some onroad 40 series tires though far better for paved surfaces "obviously"
    I got a phaltline on blast wheels taped for street run.

RC Qualifier
    about $20.00 per week. The cost of diff internals. More wrenching then running. of course I had it set up for pure ballistic speed
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC Competitor
    I have had one for about 8 months now, so far, I have only broken a rear steel cvd, running on 4s. It was a stupid thing I tried to do, and it resulted in a $10 replacement. So it depends on how hard you run yours, I run mine in between of babying it and pushing it to its limits.

RC Qualifier
    Like i said i dont plan on beating it to death, plan on just running it normally some small jumps and stuff, im trying to figure out what i want to do im 16 years old and want one of these like you wouldnt believe, but 750$ is alot of money to me so i gotta choose wisely, i want one by summers end but once i get one im afraid its just going to sit because i wont be able to afford to run it, on tower hobbies im buying the one with 6s lipos because the lipos are cheaper that way and i know i will eventually buy some , but i plan to run it on nimh or 4s till i get used to it, what are the best batteries?? And street wheels, ive heard xo1 tires are the best for street but i figure you guys knw way more than me so lemme know, thanks guys

Sounds to me like you need to start with a Brushed Revo... Then when you have the extra $$$ and the experience upgrade to BL....Just an option......
    Lipos
    ESC
    Motor

I run my brushed trucks (SumRevo & Summit) more than my BL Revo. Longer run times & the heavy off road'n...
    Last edited by 87 GN; 07-14-2013 at 10:15 AM.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

Quote Originally Posted by LocatedGecko7 View Post
    And street wheels, ive heard xo1 tires are the best for street but i figure you guys knw way more than me so lemme know, thanks guys
    No, you don't want XO-1 wheels/tires on this MT, it looks funny for a BIG truck with small tires (or maybe its just me not liking the looks ). go for something much bigger like the road rage or phaltline.

RC Qualifier
    If you don't bash it and run on 4S you will not spend much after you get all you need. Truck, Rx/Tx, Batteries and Charger. On 4S the stock tires will do the job so save that money to eventually buy replacement parts. I'd say you will spend $10 to $20 a month to keep your truck (considering no upgrades purchases).
    Not enough space here

RC Champion
    My erevos were built using rpm arms and knuckles right off the bat.
    I ran 4s and nothing broke on the cars.
    Hpi Dirt bonz for off road and some on road, and proline road rages for pure on road.

ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Racer
    I personally opted to "not" go the 6S route due to what I read on these forums. Money for parts isn't my issue. Time to do the work replacing/repairing is though. What good is a 6S lipo if you don't use it? And they do go bad over time even if you don't use them. If you do use 6S on your ERBE, you will most likely be spending quite a lot more money on parts. The power/speed of 4S is not a lame set uo by any means.

There are lots of other, less expensive lipo options than stock. So getting the ERBE without batteries is well worth considering. If you decide at a later date you want more power/speed, then buy 6S.

My 2 cents, Bill

RC Qualifier
    True, but what good is a ERBE with no batteries from the start, its pointless cause then id have to go buy my batts and not have them with the truck, something to consider though, and what are the run times of dual 4s batteries, like how long do you guys run for before your first battery pair is out of juice, debating on getting two sets of 4s lipos

RC Qualifier
    I get something like 30-45 min on a pair of 5800mAh 4S batteries, but that greatly depends on how hard i run the ERBE on the surface i run on. 6S 5000mAh gives me about the same runtime, it really depends on the situation. I have had situations with only 15 min runtime and once i have had 2 hours of runtime on the same pack of batteries.

True, but what good is a ERBE with no batteries from the start, its pointless cause then id have to go buy my batts and not have them with the truck, something to consider though, and what are the run times of dual 4s batteries, like how long do you guys run for before your first battery pair is out of juice, debating on getting two sets of 4s lipos
    Are you referring to running 4S packs in parallel or 2S packs in series? Runtime depends on size. My large packs yield 30-40 minutes, but as WesleyK says it depends on how hard you run (and how hard you talk.)
    I believe you are supposed to be able to substitute packs that come stock with the ERBE for different packs.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Qualifier
    alright if i was you.... Id get a roller or a e revo with blown motors for cheap. Get a tacon 4074 motor or bigger and xerun 150 amp esc and some value hobby lipos. Thats what i did now I have an erbe for less than $400!!! and even less because I didnt get a tacon motor because they were out of stock at the time. It has 4 2s 5000 mah 40c lipos and traxxas 2.4 ghz tx/rx castle motor and xerun 150 amp esc all for around $400

And when i run my packs (2 2s 5000 mah) in series I get 30+ min of runtime. And a top speed at avout 40 ish
    Last edited by Socalirevo; 07-14-2013 at 02:31 PM.

RC Qualifier
    So i think i have made my decision, im going with the ERBE from tower hobbies that comes with the nimh batts, i dont have a lipo charger rite now so im eventually going to get 4s lipos and between my nimh and lipos im going to upgrade as much as possible, then ill go for the 6s in about a year for fun, and by that time hopefully my ERBE can handle the tear of 6s lipos, you guys think this is a good plan, for a 16 yr old kidd anyways...

ERBE with nihm batts is a better choice than the Brushed version at least all you have to upgrades are the lipo batts. and when shopping for lipo and lipo chargers, choose wisely don't just buy something that's cheap cause its what you can afford, save up the $$ and do it right.

If you run the NiMH, keep the gearing stock. The NiMH do not supply the power needed to keep the MMM happy, when gearing up.....
    Smoked ESC..

Mamba Monster setups frequently hit 100+ amps in peaks. We strongly suggest using 5,000 mAh or larger LiPo cells with a discharge rating of at least 30C (or high quality 25C batteries such as Traxxas® Power Cells®). Our experience suggests using only mild gear ratios with NiMH cells. Do not attempt to use NiMH cells in extreme setups.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5466148
    Last edited by 87 GN; 07-14-2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: ed

RC Qualifier
    So u guys think that the ERBE with the nimh is a good choice to start off with, and i was thinking, since the mm2 isnt waterproof i was thinking about buying a traxxas motorand esc to use in winter so i can bash in the snow, if i do end up doing that should i go with the vxl3s or will that one not fit/not work/not powerful enough, and are the stock revo tires good on a nimh setup, thanks as always.....

The VXL-3s is too small to run the Neu/CC 1515 motor reliably for long especially in a vehicle this size.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    ERBE with nihm batts is a better choice than the Brushed version at least all you have to upgrades are the lipo batts. and when shopping for lipo and lipo chargers, choose wisely don't just buy something that's cheap cause its what you can afford, save up the $$ and do it right.
    This is pretty much what I did with about the same reasoning. I bought the ERBE with nihm thinking I would have at least something to run it with until I decided on lipos. However, I ended up getting my lipos before the ERBE showed up, I never even ran the nihm and sold them to help compensate. So personally, I think this is a good plan. If I had it to do over, since I have chargers, I would have opted for the ERBE without batts.

I have a few different chargers, one of which was less that $40. It takes a little longer to charge my 5200 mah packs (3.5A on a 5A charger), but that's ok. It's a very good charger for the money and will charge any type of battery.

Another 2 cents

So u guys think that the ERBE with the nimh is a good choice to start off with, and i was thinking, since the mm2 isnt waterproof i was thinking about buying a traxxas motorand esc to use in winter so i can bash in the snow, if i do end up doing that should i go with the vxl3s or will that one not fit/not work/not powerful enough, and are the stock revo tires good on a nimh setup, thanks as always.....
    the MM2 is water resistant "water proof"

RC Qualifier
    87gn, the mamba monster i thought the system was not waterproof, ive been told the esc is not waterproof, meaning the mamba monster that comes in the ERBE from towerhobbies is not water proof, maybe i have the systems mixed up, idk 87gn these trucks are your specialty..... I could be wrong......

MMM not water proof
    MM2 water proof

Same kind of ESC one is water proof the other is not..... Two different ESC Castle Came out with the New MM2 about three months ago..

Here is some good info If you do run lipos you will need Castle Link to set up the LVC.

AOD's Links Revo

Erevo 101:
    EREVO FAQ

Lipo, LVC, Brushless & Battery charger/charging guides & purchasing links:
    TUTORIALS

Refer to this to setup the Mamba Monster ( MMM ) esc for maximum performance:
    CASTLE LINK GUIDE

Refer to this to find parts, upgrades, batts & chargers etc:
    USEFUL LINKS

And direct from Castle Creations ( the esc manufacturers ):
    MMM FAQ

Driver's ED Manual

LED warning light meanings
    Last edited by 87 GN; 07-14-2013 at 09:28 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Whoa, hang on i have to program this esc on a computer?? How hard is this to do because im horrible with computers, that makes me a bit nervous and hesitant on buying one

RC Champion
    You don't HAVE TO program it on a computer, but if you do it gives you more options. If you go the nihm route, don't cheap out on the charger or lipos. I would even buy for the future. Buy a charger that you can use for at least 5 years.
    Slash MT, 1/10 Summit.

Get the field card and it will be a lot easier, I have seen them for around $30 on ebay. Well worth it to tune the esc to your liking. Also just to add my .02 it has been my experience that even good nimh packs don't last very long when used in hi load systems, make sure you are using a temp gun on the batteries and esc
    Don’t handicap children by making life easy

RC Qualifier
    So i dont jave to use a computer but it makes it easier? I think i might just buy 4s lipos once i upgrade the driveshaft and diffs but what else normally gets broken on 4s? Like what should i replace while i still am running nimhs?

These trucks are "toys", hobby grade.... That is why I suggested the Brushed Revo, until you get up to speed a little more. Then when you have the extra $$$ and some know how buy a BL system. The brushed Revo is still a pretty decent truck, for speed & power, it is also water resistant.......
    Running lipos in a Brushed Revo really makes a difference in performance.......

RC Qualifier
    Idk, i think im buying the brushless erevo that way i can upgrade it to lipos eventually and i can enjoy upgrading it gradually
    Like all of you guys have done..