Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    63

    do you run without your driveshaft and spur cover?

    I personally dont like to run a cover on my spur, I feel that when something does get in there it just stays trapped and keeps getting run through the gears, not only that but none of my race vehicles have a sealed spur. but my real question is does anyone just run without a cover on their center drive shaft? I always have a small rock or two when I change a battery but I just pop it out, but has anyone gone a very long amount of time without one? have you worn almost completely through the shaft? thanks, just curious?

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. spenniepoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wales in the UK
    Posts
    5,706
    Me I could not just because I would feel uncomfortable that something would go wrong but that's me being me ......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nowhere, Québec, Canada
    Posts
    400
    To get rid of small rocks getting inside
    - Hot glue the two drain holes where the spur and pinion are.
    - Center Driveshaft Cover modification
    - Get a shroud cover, I personally like Dusty Motor shroud cover. (not recommended with stock motor, the heat will be an issue)

    I did all 3 and there's nothing that can get inside, except dust.
    ... for the fun of excess!

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    McKinney, Texas
    Posts
    811
    I currently have a clear cover for the spur gear but for the center drive shaft I removed the clear cover.

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    13,268
    Quote Originally Posted by emmanhello View Post
    To get rid of small rocks getting inside
    - Hot glue the two drain holes where the spur and pinion are.
    - Center Driveshaft Cover modification
    - Get a shroud cover, I personally like Dusty Motor shroud cover. (not recommended with stock motor, the heat will be an issue)

    I did all 3 and there's nothing that can get inside, except dust.
    I am planning to not run either, with a cover. Is the dusty shroud the best?

    If nothing but dust gets in, I AM IN.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    138
    I doubt you will wear through an aluminum shaft with a rock in your driveshaft housing. You'd have to be pretty negligent not to notice it if it was in there that long. The gear box on the other hand, I would never run without a cover. This isn't a race truck, it's a basher. There is not weight or performance advantage by not running a gear cover, so you may as well run one to protect your investment.

  7. #7
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,813
    I just sealed the center drive shaft with a piece of foam in the front. Works pretty well for me.

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nowhere, Québec, Canada
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I am planning to not run either, with a cover. Is the dusty shroud the best?

    If nothing but dust gets in, I AM IN.
    I thinks it's the best because it breath very well and is the only one that has a zip for easy access.
    NOTHING but dust!
    ... for the fun of excess!

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. O.G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South of St Louis
    Posts
    5,994
    I've been running mine without the spur gear cover, but I don't take it offroad. Well, sometimes I chase a squirrel or rabbit through the yard, but that's about it. No problems so far.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

  10. #10
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    I've been running mine without the spur gear cover, but I don't take it offroad. Well, sometimes I chase a squirrel or rabbit through the yard, but that's about it. No problems so far.
    That's hilarious!

  11. #11
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,813
    Yesterday a dog chased my stampede 4x4 at the bmx track. It was so funny to fool him around

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •