RC Racer

Fitting 2.8 Proline Trenchers on 17mm hex 3.2 Rpm Revolvers

Here is a how to video I made, in case you guys want to run trenchers but dont want to run trencher x or big joes and strip out your diffs every run. fyi, enjoy.

RC Qualifier
    did the same thing with some 2.8 sand paws with 3.2 revolvers ---- they work great ... I think the sand paws are better than sling shots in snow ---- no sand here

Great video btw
    MM2 E Revo -- Dewalt/MM Summit

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by buduck04 View Post
    did the same thing with some 2.8 sand paws with 3.2 revolvers ---- they work great ... I think the sand paws are better than sling shots in snow ---- no sand here

Great video btw
    Thanks dude! Yeah same idea, I figured I would post since the erevo cant handle the bigger tires.

I don't keep up on tires & rims very well... can you still buy 3.2 rims??

Nice looking combo non the less.......
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVCA5

The rpm revolver wheels are still available ... not too sure what other 3.2 wheels are out there
    MM2 E Revo -- Dewalt/MM Summit

Quote Originally Posted by makuloco2000 View Post
    Thanks dude! Yeah same idea, I figured I would post since the erevo cant handle the bigger tires.
    Perhaps you need more driving practice.
    My tire of choice for the ERBE is the HPI Terra Pin. At 6.7" diameter, it is a LOT taller than a 2.8" Trencher, significantly taller than a stock Talon or stock Maxx tire, taller than a Trencher X, and only 5mm shorter than Trencher 40-series.
    My trucks are not babied: I do things like this (a friend's video of my antics):

with them constantly and my breakage is very limited.
    Consider the possibility that it isn't the truck that can't handle the larger tires.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

nice save, right siding it... but yup poooor driving

you get a pic of that combo??

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Perhaps you need more driving practice.
    My tire of choice for the ERBE is the HPI Terra Pin. At 6.7" diameter, it is a LOT taller than a 2.8" Trencher, significantly taller than a stock Talon or stock Maxx tire, taller than a Trencher X, and only 5mm shorter than Trencher 40-series.
    My trucks are not babied: I do things like this (a friend's video of my antics):

with them constantly and my breakage is very limited.
    Consider the possibility that it isn't the truck that can't handle the larger tires.
    Your diffs dont have any problems? All that I have heard and my friend from work verified everytime he put big joes on rear diff done for. Tried hardened gears, and even shimming nothing! Thats the main reason I got rid of my EREVO in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    nice save, right siding it... but yup poooor driving

you get a pic of that combo??
    Until you've stood upon my rock and jumped off it, hold your judgement.

Your diffs dont have any problems? All that I have heard and my friend from work verified everytime he put big joes on rear diff done for. Tried hardened gears, and even shimming nothing! Thats the main reason I got rid of my EREVO in the end.
    Have I ever busted a diff? Sure - a few since 2009. Driveshafts too. Not many RC owners haven't. But your posts seem to have taken the breakage complaints to a whole new level, somewhat strangely even in a forum for a vehicle you no longer own.

that is some serious side wall action... looks pretty good actually.
    So how many times have you climbed the rock hill with the Summit??

OP good job on the vid,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    that is some serious side wall action... looks pretty good actually.
    Fits with your earlier question: those 3.2" Maximizer beadlocks work well for the Revo.

Truck looks good mate...I like your vid, Nice .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    Until you've stood upon my rock and jumped off it, hold your judgement.

Have I ever busted a diff? Sure - a few since 2009. Driveshafts too. Not many RC owners haven't. But your posts seem to have taken the breakage complaints to a whole new level, somewhat strangely even in a forum for a vehicle you no longer own.
    I have seen it first hand on other peoples erevo, I have owned one too so yes I can talk about them that way if its true. I have a stampede 4x4, with same esc and motor as erevo and running 5s no diff problems something is wrong there with the erevo bulkheads or something under load. If mine can take it, then the erevo diffs and bulkhead should be proportionally stronger for the weight of the erevo and larger tires right? But they aren't only the output shafts if I ma not mistaken, thats bad design in my opinion. Its call parts commonization across vehichles to save money on r and d I see it on the vehichles I work on everyday here at the ford dealer. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.
    Last edited by makuloco2000; 07-10-2013 at 09:08 AM.

RC Qualifier
    You do know your stampede only weighs 1.8kg in stock form right? Thats less than half the weight of the E-Revo, thats why the diffs are not failing with the same setup. I'm still on my stock diffs, and that is with 6S power. Sure, my diffs will eventually wear out, but i hope to have my LST2 diffs in by then.
    Last edited by WesleyK; 07-10-2013 at 01:20 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by WesleyK View Post
    You do know your stampede only weighs 1.8kg in stock form right? Thats less than half the weight of the E-Revo, thats why the diffs are not failing with the same setup. I'm still on my stock diffs, and that is with 6S power. Sure, my diffs will eventually wear out, but i hope to have my LST2 diffs in by then.
    Now don't go and start being all rational with Physics-supported logic. Some people don't want to hear that, rather they need to blame someone or something, anything besides the user.

OK, done with my rant. Good post WesleyK!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Now don't go and start being all rational with Physics-supported logic. Some people don't want to hear that, rather they need to blame someone or something, anything besides the user.

OK, done with my rant. Good post WesleyK!!
    Oooh, totally forgot about that Jakey, sorry! You're totally right, my explanation would be too logical for some . I too think the diffs might be too weak for 6S and ALL users(so including the users that bash without limits, always doing backflips etc), but in my own experience, they still hold up fine. And of course, other things break too, but every RC has its own weak points and i personally like working on the car so its not a big deal for me . I have been working on a full 1/8th semi custom driveline since i have my revo. I might have even more time in designing the driveline than actually running the revo, but thats what this hobby is about for me

RC Racer
    If you read my post you would see it is not stock but rather heavy from the motor, battery, larger tires, and heavy metal rollcage that was put on it, definitely not stock, but stock yes they are way light compared to an erevo. So if they are half the weight the diff should be half as strong as a erevo diff but they are not, they are the same diff is my point is all. Geez the people over on the erevo traxxas boards don't like when the stampede guys come over and poke fun. See here...

Last edited by makuloco2000; 07-10-2013 at 03:33 PM.

RC Racer
    All I know id my Vorza is really heavy, runs 6s and doesnt have diff problems because they made them strong for the weight and hence have a very strong spiral cut design.

RC Qualifier
    Yep, thats what i said, the E-Revo diffs are the strongest diffs traxxas offers atm, and they are not strong enough for some of the e-revo users. But it's completely logical that they are(without the i-bar?) strong enough for the stampede, even with the large motor and batteries and all they are still much lighter. You should try to set punch control, might help with the diffs. And if that doesnt help for you, there is always the losi mod

Nice stampede btw.

RC Racer
    Yep, thats what i said, the E-Revo diffs are the strongest diffs traxxas offers atm, and they are not strong enough for some of the e-revo users. But it's completely logical that they are(without the i-bar?) strong enough for the stampede, even with the large motor and batteries and all they are still much lighter. You should try to set punch control, might help with the diffs. And if that doesnt help for you, there is always the losi mod

Nice stampede btw.
    Thanks dude! Yes I did put the I bar in the diffs when I built the Megapede didnt want to take any chances.

RC Champion
    So that's how Traxxas Mods drive. I need to post up or shut up. #TerraPinsFTW!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ... So if they are half the weight the diff should be half as strong as a erevo diff...
    That is not necessarily true.

Quote Originally Posted by BL-Bob View Post
    So that's how Traxxas Mods drive. I need to post up or shut up. #TerraPinsFTW!
    Yep, that's it. I make no excuses, but I do offer this admission: the four crashes prior to this were much much worse. As a matter of fact, they are also recorded but not worth posting. I kept saying to my cameraman, "If it can make it back up here then I will try again."

Back on topic: The video in the original post is good. I may even do that for my Slash 4x4 since I run 17mm hexes. Actual 2.8" wheels with 17mm hexes would be great though.

RC Racer
    That is not necessarily true.
    I think about it this way the 8.8 axle is available on the f150 but only a 9.75 or larger axle is availbale on f250 on up. Ford know the f250 is rated at higher weight for towing and just the truck in general so it increases the size and strength of the diff proportional to the expected torque load. That is the way I think being a ford tech all day.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Fine, now start talking about relative shock loads imposed on the drive train that a full size vehicle NEVER sees. Without very careful consideration and supporting calculations, you cannot directly compare a full size standard truck to a RC truck, especially one as grossly overpowered as the brushless ERevo. Talk to a Mechanical Engineer about Strength Of Materials classes and applied Physics and it all will become much more obvious.

RC Racer
    Fine, now start talking about relative shock loads imposed on the drive train that a full size vehicle NEVER sees. Without very careful consideration and supporting calculations, you cannot directly compare a full size standard truck to a RC truck, especially one as grossly overpowered as the brushless ERevo. Talk to a Mechanical Engineer about Strength Of Materials classes and applied Physics and it all will become much more obvious.
    I was just saying that is the way I think of it as, not that it is the correct way. Either way its an issue I wish traxxas would fix already, I may buy one again then. I loved it otherwise, just hate being down when the car comes from the factory with this kind of power already, it should be able to handle it, is all.