Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: parents

RC Enthusiast

parents

after the fire incident my dad got mad and said no more rc any ideas as how to convince him otherwise?

RC Enthusiast
    Get him to see how much fun they are
    this costs too much money

RC Champion
    You'll have to read up and learn why, some systems won't work and prove to your dad that you have a better understanding. Next time it could be the house that burns down, or someone could be seriously hurt.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Qualifier
    He must have a good reason. It might help to explain that you understand why it happened. Reassure him you'll use a proprer motor on the next RC so hopefully this unfortunate event doesn't repeat itself.
    Last edited by Little Smokey; 07-07-2013 at 04:11 AM.
    Mini Revo VXL 7107
    E-Maxx 3903 - He Lives!

RC Qualifier
    Last fall I plugged my two 3s LiPo batteries into my Tekin RX-8 and the ESC immediately began smoking profusely. It was perplexing since the prior run went fine with no problems which would lead me to believe the speedo would burn up like that. I disconnected and removed the batteries but the odor of burnt electronics filled my room and my mother was deeply concerned with the safety of LiPo batteries in the house.

The way to continue on with your parents' approval is to establish trust in that you are a responsible operator of your cars, both on the street and in the house. Keeping them clean, monitoring the charging processes, and communicating that while safe there is always the remote risk of failure like you found, and that you can be trusted to do your best to mitigate the likelihood of such a failure in the future. At worst you can offer to run an extension cord outside the house to charge your batteries, and only hook up the batteries to your cars outside the house so if there is a catastrophic failure it won't take out the house; perhaps over time they'll see you honoring their wishes and let you bring it back in.

Just know they don't implement restrictions on you to cause trouble - they just don't want to see you injured.

RC Enthusiast

parents

hey guys after the fire incident my dad said no more rc.Any ideas as how i can convince him otherwise?

hey guys after the fire incident my dad said no more rc.Any ideas as how i can convince him otherwise?
    I would just use nimh for awhile, they won't blow up.

EDIT: Seeing the comment below, I agree for the most part. Nimh's can be more dangerous than lipos in some cases. But Nimh's is normally safer to use.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 07-07-2013 at 08:27 PM.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I would just use nimh for awhile, they won't blow up.
    So wrong. Nimh cells are much more likely to explode than lipo. I've seen lipo packs swell, smolder, catch fire, but not explode. Seen many nimh batteries blow up like a bomb though.

RC Enthusiast
    no he said no rc period

no he said no rc period
    Oh ok, tell him the fire was one and a million, because things like that are VERY uncommon.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Racer
    I would rather a firecracker(nimh) go off in my house rather than a strobe(lipo) strobes are straight fire

Quote Originally Posted by Stampered4x4 View Post
    I would rather a firecracker(nimh) go off in my house rather than a strobe(lipo) strobes are straight fire
    I would rather none of the above to be completely honest.

RC Champion
    Bad thing is...he's the Dad.
    He pays the bills...he makes the rules.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

There's always more to the story. As a father I'm interested in the story and the truth.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Just explain to him that it was a very uncommon thing. When my friend broke mine , my mom said she would not put up with that and said it has to go(as in other people breaking it). But fortunately my dad has a t max and understood and clamed her down.

RC Enthusiast
    u know you guys should relly come talk to him in person.lol

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    So wrong. Nimh cells are much more likely to explode than lipo. I've seen lipo packs swell, smolder, catch fire, but not explode. Seen many nimh batteries blow up like a bomb though.
    After seeing this, I'm curious which one is more likely to start a fire, a lipo catching on fire or a Nimh exploding. I was thinking of trying lipo on my first build on my first Traxxas r/c. I read a thread earlier this week about keeping the lipo charged for proper storage. Does Nimh only explode if its very hot? I always thought Lipo was more dangerous.

And kaydog I hope it works out between you and your father .
    Did you say Traxxas?

Yes with or without lipos.

RC Qualifier
    Not sure how old you are but as you get older you will realize that they will ventrally get over it. (Not to be mean to you parents out there.) just tell him its a one in a life time thing and chill for little while. Dont really mess with rc cars for a bit till he calms down. I know its not what you wanted to hear.
    It Breaks, You Build It Again........KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by SouperkNight View Post
    After seeing this, I'm curious which one is more likely to start a fire, a lipo catching on fire or a Nimh exploding. I was thinking of trying lipo on my first build on my first Traxxas r/c. I read a thread earlier this week about keeping the lipo charged for proper storage. Does Nimh only explode if its very hot? I always thought Lipo was more dangerous.

And kaydog I hope it works out between you and your father .
    I would say that a lipo fire would generally be more dangerous considering the intensity of the fire. I've seen nimh cells explode and catch fire, but the flames are nowhere near that of a lipo fire. Regardless, either battery can catch fire and cause major damage if not handled properly.

Nimh cells don't necessarily have to be hot to pop. I saw a high-end matched nimh pack explode a few feet from a guy's face at the track. Wasn't abnormally hot or anything out of the ordinary right before it happened.

RC Qualifier
    Show your dad some nitro's and how you can use just alkaline batteries if you want to. I've never heard of anybody catching fire or blowing up from nitro. It is a combustible liquid so there are some dangers, but he can fill up a 500ml bottle for you and you could go have fun for a couple of hours.

RC Champion
    Double G.. I agree with you.. As a parent I'm always watching what my kids do.. probably always will.. I've had one, make that two fires in my house from r/c cars.. The first was a drone hooked up wrong and blew out everything including the 3 inch hole thru the fuselage of the plane..If you saw the sequence to hook up the drone you would see how easily that could happen but they are experimental and not a commercial product.. the second was funny enough a Castle Creations ESC just gave out with quite a show. hooked up the lipo battery, went thru the tones and then instant flame show with lots of stinky black smoke.. Neither one was enough to make me worry about the house burning down, but definately an eye opener for sure..

Kaydog.. I am curious as to what happened that your father banned you from r/c... You haven't mentioned anything about what happened. Was it a lipo fire (rare) or maybe a smoking esc..(not as rare)?
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Enthusiast
    well cenracer1 go to the emaxx page then look for the thread fire

Link: fire!!
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 07-08-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Added link

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Tell him you need to keep them stored in an Ammo Box. I'm sure he'd like to go into an old Army Surplus Store.

BTW read up on charging, using, and caring for Lipo. If you can walk the line you can take care of them like they should. I've been using them for over a couple of years w/o any casualties.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    kaydog.. I read the thread, sorry for the loss.. I know its tough being a kid and most likely having your parents buy you the r/c stuff.. but after looking at the thread, I'm surprised it was just the battery that went. I can understand being a parent myself the frustration of spending alot of money on a "toy" only to see it go up in flames.. even if it was just the battery. that battery sounds like on the traxxas batteries, but I wouldn't count on them replacing it.Try and save up for a 1/8th combo , show your father you are responsible and possibly he will change his mind. I've been doing this r/c thing since the mid 1980's so unfortunately I'm used to it.. just yesterday I threw away a 2 week old receiver that suddenly stopped working. It happens and its part of the hobby.. Nothing last forever unfortunately..

RC Qualifier
    The other problem with a lipo going flaming fire ball is the toxic fumes that it emits in the process. I had a good matched nihm short across the poles, and explode. Have been running lipo's for a few years with no problems ever. Had one swell pretty good and get warm, just followed the manufactures rules for disposal.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Enthusiast
    cenracer they told me that if i want it i must pay for the parts which is a good policy

RC Champion
    No matter how uncommon any type of fire happening in a rc, these things do happen and it's normally the lack of knowledge that is the cause.
    Accidents do happen also, even with all the experience. But having more knowledge lowers the risk, everybody has to learn somewhere.
    Stay within the limits of the rc vehicle and it'll run for years. A few parts might need swapped out along the way, but thats normal.
    If they're ok with you buying parts, make sure it's the right parts your getting.
    In a couple years you can start experimenting with different set ups.
    Failure is the best learning process, but it's an expensive one.
    Good luck dude, and hope it works out for you.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Champion
    kaydog... Thats what I try to do with my kids.. I don't enforce it on my girls 6 and 8 with their r/c cars, but with my 18 year old son I do. He understands this and has no problem with it.

From the above-referenced thread/link:
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXXXMASHER View Post
    A 4Tec is considered a 1/10th scale, too. An EMaxx is considered a 1/10th scale MONSTER TRUCK. Would you put a high revving four cylinder engine in a full size monster truck?? I think not. Kinda the same deal. You can word it any way you want, but with all due respect, if you try to run an EMaxx on a VXL system all the electronics will heat up (and fail) trying to push a 10 plus pound truck around... Based on experience, it's usually better to spend more $$ for the right stuff from the get go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Chicken View Post
    Sorry to hear it. The guys are right though. Once you get a battery to handle the load, the next things to fail will be the motor or the ESC. You are just overloading the VXL-3s system in that truck.
    Couldn't agree more:
    Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    No matter how uncommon any type of fire happening in a rc, these things do happen and it's normally the lack of knowledge that is the cause.
    Now there is a little more to the story. According to your profile, you are 12-years-old so you are in the beginning of gaining wisdom in life. Your parents are much smarter than you think and if they are good parents they know what is best for you and are not doing this to be mean.
    Did you do your research before throwing a VXL into the E-Maxx? If so you wouldn't have done it. You've now learned an expensive lesson in that research helps a lot. I'm not into the electric scene much but I do have knowledge in nitros and automobiles in knowing that it is best to match the right engine and right gearing to get the best results. Anything less--just to save a few dollars--will cause premature failure or damage and cost you more in the long run. Do it right the first time for lasting results.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Tell him you need to keep them stored in an Ammo Box. I'm sure he'd like to go into an old Army Surplus Store.
    Ammo box? Can you explain this more because I think kaydog's dad will be saying "What?" if he tells him about this. There has to be more to this than just acting as a storage container for batteries.
    Did you say Traxxas?

Yes with or without lipos.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kaydog View Post
    cenracer they told me that if i want it i must pay for the parts which is a good policy
    Kaydog I have 3 kids and 8 grand kids. My oldest grandson is 12 years old. I have some r/c Summits that we run around and all the grand kids have a very strict routine with running the r/cs. I have this routine so they will learn what they are doing. As said earlier, Your parents really know better than you and you should learn to respect that. The one thing I look for is are you willing to learn and practice what you learn. Parents want their kids to be self reliant. But they can only let you be self reliant if you show them that you can be. To that end research and educate yourself so you can be trusted.

Batteries are not simple. They require care and protection. With the lipos they require more care. Once you understand what and why you are doing your dad will probably give you more room to have the R/C hobby. Search the Traxxas forum on lipos and there are some great threads.

I use a really good charger that will balance charge, and has storage mode. I always store my Lipos in a fire proof lipo bag, and when I charge or use storage mode i have the batteries in the storage bag. No Exceptions. Ever. If you really enjoy the hobby you should be willing to pay for it. My grandsons use their allowance, gift money and Grandpas chore money to pay for their stuff. Trust me if you pay for it you will take better care of it and you will also pay attention (educate yourself) to what you buy. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you. Remember your Parents are looking out for your best interest.

RC Qualifier
    Hopefully you were using the lipos and charger under close adult supervision...
    Stampede 4x4 VXL.......Slash Raptor 2wd

RC Enthusiast
    my uncle bought this i havent changed anything except the battery

RC Enthusiast
    brick 57 i respect my parents alot all i want to know is how do let my dad know im responsible

RC Enthusiast
    my dad would get hwas in the military for 5 years

RC Qualifier
    brick 57 i respect my parents alot all i want to know is how do let my dad know im responsible
    Show him. You may have to get away from R/Cs for a while and show him you are responsible in other areas, school, scouts, chores, what ever it is your into. If you can stay with the R/C then great, but show him you have learned and can be responsible with what you have learned. Maybe start with something simple and build up from there. Can you get a more simple R/C car and show him you can handle that and he might allow you to move up from there. You sound like your an old soul and are way ahead of most 12 year old's. Do you and your dad talk a lot? If you can talk with your dad ask him what he would expect from you and then show him that you can do it. There is an old saying and you might as well learn it at an early age - "It's what people do and not what they say that is important in life". Talk with your dad and show him you are up for the challenge. Who knows - he might get involved with your hobby and it could be a learning lesson for both of you.
    Last edited by BRICK57; 07-09-2013 at 04:09 PM.

after the fire incident my dad got mad and said no more rc any ideas as how to convince him otherwise?
    I've seen a second posting so I've merged them... No need for two posts of the same subject....

To the O.P.

Either something is not being completely told here OR your parents are scared of the potential hazards of a battery fire....

I'd suggest showing them what is called a lipo bag, pull up and print some documentation on how to safely store your batts...

If you are going to do something that is not standard/stock, keep the experiments outside.

Most of all get the information together and communicate with your Dad. I'm a Dad, I'm also prior military. But I also listen to my kids when they approach me the right way... And yeah I've made decisions and reversed them after better communication....

Act responsible, keep your room clean, your chores done. Do something extra without being asked and then talk with him... He's probably got a lot more on his mond than just your RC.. But he'll listen when the time is right... We are taught in the military in order to be a good leader, you must be a good listener and follower.
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Does you dad share the hobby with you?
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

If you made it through 10-15 years of age without starting at least one small fire in the house you didn't have that much fun growing up. I am not saying that starting a fire is a good thing, but lets face it, you are in the "lets try this" mode and just don't think about what happens if it fails or goes wrong.

This is what us big kids call a "life-lesson". Simply put, think about what might go wrong before you do something. This is thinking about what would happen immediately, and what would happen long term.

Reading this, I thought of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW3PFC86UNI
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    rag6 he doesnt really but he likes to drive them