RC Competitor

single steering servo question?

So i am thinking of going single servo i found one for a great price but it says it is 240 oz will this be enough since 2 stock is 10 oz more? Thanks guys!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    IMO you want a single servo with AT LEAST as much torque as the stock duals, but ideally you'd want more. You can pick up servos with 280-300ish oz of torque for $65ish. The servo on a summit is not the place to cheap out. Its an extremely important part of the truck... without a decent servo you can get the tires to point where you want them to when things get tricky. If you don't have enough $$ for a good servo now... keep the stockers and save up. You won't regret it.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    IMO you want a single servo with AT LEAST as much torque as the stock duals, but ideally you'd want more. You can pick up servos with 280-300ish oz of torque for $65ish. The servo on a summit is not the place to cheap out. Its an extremely important part of the truck... without a decent servo you can get the tires to point where you want them to when things get tricky. If you don't have enough $$ for a good servo now... keep the stockers and save up. You won't regret it.
    I would agree there for sure. I tried a few different pairs.where I run is hard on servos,well hard on everything.
    Went to single high torque metal geared.upgraded a few steering parts to aluminum ( bellcrank and horn)
    Steering no longer a issue.I was running huge tires at the time so that played a part as well. Even with stock tires I was killing them. Single servo eliminated them fighting each other as well.been over a year since I had any steering issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    So the ones I am getting with 402inoz should be good...

I am going to be running a BEC with them to avoid brown outs... still only feeding them 6 volts though because I don't think I will need 493inoz...
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post

I am going to be running a BEC with them to avoid brown outs... still only feeding them 6 volts though because I don't think I will need 493inoz...
    That should do the job...lol if not, enough torque to twist whatever is in the way out of the way.i dont think a bec is ever a bad idea clean power to the servos makes them happier takes some load off the esc,that couldn't be a bad thing could it
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier

Depending on how u decide to wire up, if you power the receiver with the BEC at 6v and plug you servos in as per normal, be sure that you supply the external BEC with power by wiring it into the ESC BEC side power cables. ApPatently drawing power from the non BEC side will turn ur summit into a nice little smoke bomb. Good luck mate

I will eliminate the power running from the ESC to the Rx.
    The Rx (Rx's in my case.. yes 2) will be powered solely from the BEC.
    The BEC will be fed from a separate battery than the two feeding the ESC.

If anyone sees any issues with my method, please bring it to my attention...
    This is the first time I have gotten this far into the electronics of an RC.
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 02-29-2012 at 04:25 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I will eliminate the power running from the ESC to the Rx.
    The Rx (Rx's in my case.. yes 2) will be powered solely from the BEC.
    The BEC will be fed from a separate battery than the two feeding the ESC.

If anyone sees any issues with my method, please bring it to my attention...
    This is the first time I have gotten this far into the electronics of an RC.
    There's no problem with that but for high torque servos I rather put the bec directly to them and not through the rx. That way the esc bec powers the shift servos and rx which is hardly any pull and the steering gets direct power from the bec and the voltage doesn't have to be routed through the rx and share with the rest of the electronics. If your interested in that I could find some diagrams how to wire.
    Lock, Stomp, and Steer. No Fear

RC Qualifier
    If I were to do my wiring again I would do it the way described above. But wither way will work

I wouldn't mind a diagram...

RC Qualifier
    I wouldn't mind a diagram...

You can hook 2 servos up instead of one. But if your running a bec already I think one quality high torque servo is best.
    Lock, Stomp, and Steer. No Fear

RC Qualifier
    What servos would you guys recommend for the single servo setup? I am really looking into replacing my servos as I am getting tired of hearing the servos fight eachother and all the buzzing
    "Duct tape and superglue are my spareparts"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by slashbasher24 View Post
    What servos would you guys recommend for the single servo setup? I am really looking into replacing my servos as I am getting tired of hearing the servos fight eachother and all the buzzing
    i used the Savox 1230 sg with 500oz of torque. It was not hard to do, I run Mudslingers and it turns them quite nice. I also installed the alum steering saver. The splines on the savox bolt right up to the servo horn. I installed mine on the passenger side, you might want to get a wire extender because the wire is barely long enough.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlinMike View Post
    There's no problem with that but for high torque servos I rather put the bec directly to them and not through the rx. That way the esc bec powers the shift servos and rx which is hardly any pull and the steering gets direct power from the bec and the voltage doesn't have to be routed through the rx and share with the rest of the electronics. If your interested in that I could find some diagrams how to wire.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but all the power and ground connections on the receiver are wired in parallel, so the receiver isnt powering anything, power is just passing through.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Champion
    yes all power is in parallel

now how the recevier takes that power and uses it for itself an does the pulses to the servo/esc is beond me
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Qualifier
    What alum steering saver is used? I have seen many but I don't know what are the best? Any other servos ppl use? I just want to see my options for this....I should probably start a new thread....

RC Champion
    the savox servo is cheap at around 50 buck part # ? then there is the hi tech servo part #hs-7980th its about 180 buck

savox and hitech ar par in par for specs but the hi-tech can take higher voltage so it can put out more torque
    and is of better quality

RC Qualifier
    Hitec 7955 - around $95

Do it!

RC Qualifier
    What alum steering saver is used? I have seen many but I don't know what are the best? Any other servos ppl use? I just want to see my options for this....I should probably start a new thread....
    I bought the integy one first but there was a ridiculous amount of play so I trashed it and got the Hot Racing one.

RC Qualifier
    Ok so im thinking of doing one of the servos mentioned here but will I need a BEC? I don't want any of the brown/blackouts that I have read about and would like to pic a servo that would avoid that....Thanks guys!!

RC Qualifier
    Hitec 7950 is a good servo.

http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/...-servo/product

BEC - Castle 10 amp.

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html

you want the little blue one. If you use a BEC make sure and remove the red wire coming from the ESC to the Rx, the plug that plugs into the Rx.
    http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...ec_wiring.html
    Last edited by Edstoys; 07-28-2013 at 04:22 PM.
    Endeavoring to persevere !

RC Qualifier
    Im looking to stay under 100 dollars if possible...with servo and bec (if needed) combined and maybe the servo saver you prefer with that specific servo

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tjtoed View Post
    I bought the integy one first but there was a ridiculous amount of play so I trashed it and got the Hot Racing one.
    Hot Racing makes a good one but if you can find one and want one that will last get a ST racing concepts servo saver.
    http://www.teamstrc.com/index.php?ro...product_id=149

RC Qualifier
    Im looking to stay under 100 dollars if possible...with servo and bec (if needed) combined and maybe the servo saver you prefer with that specific servo
    That is going to be very hard to do if not impossible for the 3 components, BEC (depends on the servo), with Hi-7950 should not need one then comes the servo saver which you basically have 3 choices Integy(waste of money and will end up having to replace) Hot Racing, and ST Racing concepts. These are the 3 I am familiar with but there may be more out there.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah im looking to not get a BEC if possible (last resort) because I don't really want to screw with the wiring and lose too much waterproofness in my truck. so the servo and servo saver are what my main focal points will be.
    So the hitec and savox are the brands to go with? I have come across a servo on hobbypartz but pave said to not cheap out on this but it has pretty good specs the d221 I think

RC Qualifier
    I run a Savox 1283sg on the stock esc with no BEC and have had zero issues.
    Most aftermarket servos are not waterproof though.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah the servos are really easy to waterproof though so im not too worried about that...thanks tj

pssssssttt....300th post

Im looking at the savox SA1230SG servo...500 oz-in at 6.0v and 75 bucks I like! haha anyother suggestions?
    Last edited by slashbasher24; 07-28-2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: more more more

RC Qualifier
    Yeah the servos are really easy to waterproof though so im not too worried about that...thanks tj

pssssssttt....300th post

Im looking at the savox SA1230SG servo...500 oz-in at 6.0v and 75 bucks I like! haha anyother suggestions?
    That's the one I wanted but the local hobby shop was out. They were having a one day sale so I settled on the 1283. I think it's 440 or so and turns all my wheels even the big and heavy mudslingers without so much as a thought. My main reason was to get rid of the dual servo setup.

RC Qualifier
    I have the 1230 with integy servo saver and steering arm. Threw in a BEC for good measure, but not required.

Works great for me.
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

RC Qualifier
    Ok sweet if my lhs has this servo I will def get it...read a few reviews and it seems to hold up fairly well and its really easy to waterproof and ill run w/o the bec for a while and see if its needed

RC Champion

pssssssttt....300th post

that's the servo just couldent remember the part#......or price