RC Racer

Why do a lot of people complain about revo nitro tuning?

I am a 42 year old novice. I have a revo 3.3 which I love to just bash around. When it comes to a crash a good part of the time i can't even fix myself. Having said that, in terms of tuning it runs like a top! I seem to read a lot of complaints online about getting it to run right. I have mine dialed in and barely if ever need to make any adjustments. Seems extremely easy.

RC Qualifier
    No complaints here. There is a learning curve for nitro. Some people just don't take the time to read up on how a nitro engine works and how to tune it. Once you figure all that out, it is extremely easy IMO.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Champion
    +1 all day long.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Racer
    It just takes time and looking/listening for signs of lean/rich settings. You get the hang of it after awhile.

RC Qualifier
    I agree they are not bad to tune.

RC poster
    What's some good tips on making sure your nitro is tuned properly? Should it have a dark thick cloud of blue smoke or a light thin cloud, also My revo 3.3 and rustler 3.3 on the traxxas link is showing it's running over 300F which seems bad as it should be running around 270F is this normal for traxxas link to read wrong or could my settings be off, any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

RC Racer
    Well. I am not an expert but here is why I do know. The smoke should be a think cloud of light blue. You are definitely running too hot. Try and play with it by turning the back needle left which will richen up the model which I think may cool it down. Also look on the support section there is a whole section on tuning nitro. I think you have to turn the black needle down then back it out like 4 turns until you are running right. But a I said I am not an expert. Despite that mine is running like a top. Also are you using the correct fuel and glow plug?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Stygian View Post
    What's some good tips on making sure your nitro is tuned properly? Should it have a dark thick cloud of blue smoke or a light thin cloud, also My revo 3.3 and rustler 3.3 on the traxxas link is showing it's running over 300F which seems bad as it should be running around 270F is this normal for traxxas link to read wrong or could my settings be off, any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    If the temp sensor wire for the Traxxas link is to tight on the head it will read to hot and if it's lose it will read to cool. The only way to really get it right is to adjust the tightness on the head using a hand held infrared temp sensor, when they say the same temps you know it's right, or close enough anyway.

There are three main things to look for with a good tune.
    1: Engine temperatures- The engine will perform the best and last the longest if kept between 220-250deg. A lot of people will say that as cool as 210 and as hot as 270 is safe, but I find if they get to much out of the 220-250 range they don't last very long.
    2: Smoke trail- You want to see a decent amount of smoke when hard on the throttle, but I wouldn't call it thick. Definitely more than a thin stream. If raw fuel is coming out of the exhaust it's to rich and if there's hardly any smoke when you're giving it gas it's to lean.
    3: Performance- Start tuning at the factory preset of 4 hsn and 1 3/4 lsn, this should be a little rich unless it's freezing cold outside or your on top of a large mountain. Slowly lean the hsn 1/8 turn at a time until you don't notice an increase in performance, then richen it about 1/8 turn. Don't keep leaning it until the performance gets worse, stop as soon as it don't get better, or should I say stays the same. Then make another high speed pass, stop and pinch the fuel line about 2" from the carb. It should rev up a little after a couple of seconds and die after another second or two. If it takes more than 4 seconds to die, the lsn is to rich. Lean it 1/16 turn between high speed passes until it dies between 3-4 seconds. If it doesn't rev up or takes less than 3 seconds to die, the lsn is to lean, richen it. If the idle is to high or low, set the idle screw. If not, don't. Make another high speed pass to see how the hsn is performing if you had to adjust the lsn it may have affected it a little. If you had to lean the lsn, you may need to richen the hsn a little and the other way around. If you have to adjust either needle more than once, make the adjustments smaller and smaller until you get it dialed in. Only adjust the idle screw when the idle is to low or to high, don't let the idle gap close to less than .5mm or open more than 1mm. Most of my Traxxas carbs liked to be about .7mm. Keep the gas tank as close to half full as you can while tuning, if you tune at a full tank it will get to lean when the tank is almost empty. If you tune when it's almost empty it will be to rich when it's full.
    Last edited by Mark Ball; 07-09-2013 at 05:35 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    If the temp sensor wire for the Traxxas link is to tight on the head it will read to hot and if it's lose it will read to cool. The only way to really get it right is to adjust the tightness on the head using a hand held infrared temp sensor, when they say the same temps you know it's right, or close enough anyway.

There are three main things to look for with a good tune.
    1: Engine temperatures- The engine will perform the best and last the longest if kept between 220-250deg. A lot of people will say that as cool as 210 and as hot as 270 is safe, but I find if they get to much out of the 220-250 range they don't last very long.
    2: Smoke trail- You want to see a decent amount of smoke when hard on the throttle, but I wouldn't call it thick. Definitely more than a thin stream. If raw fuel is coming out of the exhaust it's to rich and if there's hardly any smoke when you're giving it gas it's to lean.
    3: Performance- Start tuning at the factory preset of 4 hsn and 1 3/4 lsn, this should be a little rich unless it's freezing cold outside or your on top of a large mountain. Slowly lean the hsn 1/8 turn at a time until you don't notice an increase in performance, then richen it about 1/8 turn. Don't keep leaning it until the performance gets worse, stop as soon as it don't get better, or should I say stays the same. Then make another high speed pass, stop and pinch the fuel line about 2" from the carb. It should rev up a little after a couple of seconds and die after another second or two. If it takes more than 4 seconds to die, the lsn is to rich. Lean it 1/16 turn between high speed passes until it dies between 3-4 seconds. If it doesn't rev up or takes less than 3 seconds to die, the lsn is to lean, richen it. If the idle is to high or low, set the idle screw. If not, don't. Make another high speed pass to see how the hsn is performing if you had to adjust the lsn it may have affected it a little. If you had to lean the lsn, you may need to richen the hsn a little and the other way around. If you have to adjust either needle more than once, make the adjustments smaller and smaller until you get it dialed in. Only adjust the idle screw when the idle is to low or to high, don't let the idle gap close to less than .5mm or open more than 1mm. Most of my Traxxas carbs liked to be about .7mm. Keep the gas tank as close to half full as you can while tuning, if you tune at a full tank it will get to lean when the tank is almost empty. If you tune when it's almost empty it will be to rich when it's full.
    Thanks a lot for all the tips. From what you have said I have it tuned pretty well maybe a little adjusting on the HSN. The temp. issue is bad though. I just got a Jato 3.3 and broke it in yesterday after I broke it in I did the normal maintenance required then filled it up and let it rip it got up to 340F according to the traxxas link, but while breaking it in it only got up to 260-270 this worries me a lot as I don't want to burn up the engines, also I live in Arizona so I don't know if that will have anything to do with the temp of the engine being hotter than it really is. Do you know of a diagram that shows what to tighten/loosen on the head for the temp?

Quote Originally Posted by benalexe View Post
    Well. I am not an expert but here is why I do know. The smoke should be a think cloud of light blue. You are definitely running too hot. Try and play with it by turning the back needle left which will richen up the model which I think may cool it down. Also look on the support section there is a whole section on tuning nitro. I think you have to turn the black needle down then back it out like 4 turns until you are running right. But a I said I am not an expert. Despite that mine is running like a top. Also are you using the correct fuel and glow plug?
    I am using 20% top fuel and the glow plug that comes stock.
    Last edited by Double G; 07-10-2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: merge