Thread: slipper ?

RC Competitor

slipper ?

Hello , Was doing a tear down last night to do a well needed cleaning. After removing engine .i spun the spur gear ,not smooth seems to be like a rough spot in one spot kinda like a flat spot on a tire, took off spur and does same .Any one with any ideas what might be wrong would be highly appreciated .Yes still running reverse.

RC Racer
    Make are there is no dirt in tranny maybe?

RC Champion
    Chipped tooth on an internal gear probably.

RC Competitor
    Hello and thanks for response I believe u r right chipped tooth ,me never tore trans apart before ,is it hard to do my self or should I but new trans . thanks

Do it yourself. Nothing will spring out.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    ok thanks will tear it down if mess up can go get new one .since taking it apart is there different gears people r using to make more torque or top end I am running os 21 with ths pipe with pro line road rage maxx 40 series tires. thanks
    Last edited by stang2005; 07-06-2013 at 09:03 PM.

RC Champion
    You won't mess it up they are simple to take apart.

Quote Originally Posted by stang2005 View Post
    ok thanks will tear it down if mess up can go get new one .since taking it apart is there different gears people r using to make more torque or top end I am running os 21 with ths pipe with pro line road rage maxx 40 series tires. thanks
    You'll find better results by changing the spur gear and/or clutch bell. Inside, the first gear is the same between short, standard and wide gearing; the only difference between the three is the 2nd gear. I'm not looking for top speed so I went with standard gearing.
    If you get confused putting it back together, use the exploded view. I'm to the point that it takes around five minutes to remove the tranny and have it completely apart. Another five to have it back in but I also make sure I have the washers where they are supposed to be.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    THANKS GUYS took apart last night ,not bad at all did have a couple chipped teeth ,I am good with top end but always looking for more torque or bottom end .am running 14 tooth bell with a 40 tooth spur on a new os 21 but some have said that is to low gearing for it so am playing around for best combo for it. will attempt to put back togather when new parts arrive and will have more ? or I will get it right ,let u know soon .THANKS

RC Champion
    I switch between the 38t spur and the 36t spur. I always use a 14t clutch bell. I like the 36t a bit more because it is faster on the top end but still has good acceleration.

RC Competitor
    Thanks I will try the 36 first I also have 38 will try also .THANKS

RC Qualifier
    Here is my 2.5 chassis with an os21 running hpi dog bones with 15/36 gears and a "stock" second gear, running trx 20% fuel

O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Competitor
    Cool Video THANKS.couple more days for my gears to come in.just got my new os21 broken in now its time to fiddle with tuning. it seems that the 15 /36 seems to be most popular for 21s .going from a bashing set up to a street set up just bought some proline low profile road rage tires and rims.what temp is your 21 running at? is that a ths pipe u r running can,t tell in video? THANKS

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by stang2005 View Post
    what temp is your 21 running at? is that a ths pipe u r running can,t tell in video?
    Temps stay right around 210-230* and I'm running the trx single chamber pipe with the stinger bored out slightly.
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Competitor
    Thanks for reply nitro newbie.so ya i did it everhthing togather runs great.But new problem on reciever no blue light unless move truck find sweet spot it stays on solid blue running or not but it flickers when moving but loses its bind with radio for few seconds then will connect agaain it will go in and out sevdral times during a tank of fuel.it always has been solid blue and never had radio reciver problems untill droppex in new trans can anyone help