RC Champion

Aluminum Chassis Hop-Up + All Aluminum Rustler Rebuild

Well fellas about 2 years ago when I re-entered the hobby I set out to turn my Rustler into an ALL ALUMINUM BEAST! and so far I've reached about 85% of that goal until I started buying other traxxas vehicles and lost interest in my Rustler
    Here's a pic of her in her Sunday Best! its also in the Gallery

well after a month of plotting this comeback here we are and now i'm back with an Integy Aluminum chassis to experiment with. After seeing this chassis I quickly re-gained interest in my Rustler.

the only thing I don't like about this chassis is the fact that it has the "carbon fiber" upper deck.

so it's time to pull out ye ole' Rusty! looks pretty bad after the last time I drove it and ate asphalt big time.

time to do some replacement, clean-up and rebuild

bent the body posts so I had to order a new set...

Make no mistake fellas, there are consequences of running all aluminum,
    Warped Castor Blocks

iBASH

More updates on the Installation/Re-build process throughout today and this weekend.
    STAY TUNED!!!

RC Qualifier
    Ya you have to be careful with that much metal!
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Champion
    yea but to be honest with you the castor blocks and those body posts are the only faults I ever had with this rustler once all the aluminum was installed. this thing is like a tank. its seen the nastiest of crashes when I was out everyday trying to hit 70mph. only got to 63mph tho.

RC Enthusiast
    dopeness dude, im debating whether to do aluminum myself. your car looks rad

RC Champion
    thanks man...I say go for it...its VERY expensive to do one but in the end you'll love it!

RC Qualifier
    I'm not one to lust after Integy stuff, but that chassis does look nice!

RC Champion
    yea bro i cant agree with you more! i'm not into much integy aluminum unless i have to and i had to when i seen this thing. plus i have a dude that's a partner with integy that gave it to me for a sweet deal.

RC Qualifier
    Very nice Rustler.

RC Champion
    stripped her down!

RC Champion
    UPDATE

Realized my 3s lipo wouldn't fit so I had to uninstall the ESC lift kit(3725x) from the old chassis and install it onto the new chassis.

Like a Glove
    Last edited by G-Rustler; 07-10-2013 at 01:21 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Do you have any idea of what the weight of the alu chassis it???

RC Champion
    I have no idea my man.

RC Enthusiast
    your trucks gonna be like a terminator of rustlers

RC Champion
    Nice wheels+tires.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Qualifier
    Cool! I'm surprised you got that much speed out of it. My car lost almost 15 mph when I built an all aluminum rusty. I was getting about 40 mph out of my bone stock rusty but only got a little over 25 with the all aluminum one. Not sure where all my speed went.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by F-R Racing View Post
    Cool! I'm surprised you got that much speed out of it. My car lost almost 15 mph when I built an all aluminum rusty. I was getting about 40 mph out of my bone stock rusty but only got a little over 25 with the all aluminum one. Not sure where all my speed went.
    wow!! "a lil over 25" that's crazy. all the aluminum only takes away the acceleration but you'll still be able to hit top speeds with it. were you using a 3s LiPo?

"a lil over 25" is brushed motor speeds! with 19/90 gearing lol

I used 31/76 but I bought a robinson racing 33tooth pinion that will probably give me that 70mph but I never tried a high speed run with that pinion
    Last edited by G-Rustler; 07-13-2013 at 02:03 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    theres a 33 tooth , oh yeah i want it

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    wow!! "a lil over 25" that's crazy. all the aluminum only takes away the acceleration but you'll still be able to hit top speeds with it. were you using a 3s LiPo?

"a lil over 25" is brushed motor speeds! with 19/90 gearing lol

I used 31/76 but I bought a robinson racing 33tooth pinion that will probably give me that 70mph but I never tried a high speed run with that pinion
    no that was with a nimh battery. I also had 31/76 gearing. Same tires as you also. I must have had some drag somewhere. That's why I was curious when I saw another all aluminum build with g locs. And the weight can slow you down. I'm not sure where the misconception started that weight only hurts acceleration but its not completely true. If you get too much weight, it WILL slow you down. Put a cement block on your rustler and try to hit 70. It won't happen.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kelvin53778 View Post
    theres a 33 tooth , oh yeah i want it
    yep! quite a bit of the rc'ers don't kno about the 33 tooth pinion...check the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Robinson-Rac...item4d0adb44a7

RC Champion
    UPDATE

Well fellas here's her all mounted up.

Had bad experiences with a aluminum transmission case so I stuck with the stock traxxas gearbox. I kno its odd

these are the aluminum parts that I can no longer use due to the new chassis

No longer need the G-Locs and Jaco Foams

Will be moving up to 17mm adapters and 1/8th scale wheel/tires
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/390596516875...84.m1423.l2649

RC Champion
    hey who sells the best screw set that is hex and silver in color?

want to get rid of the black screws and aluminate this thing as much as possible

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    hey who sells the best screw set that is hex and silver in color?

want to get rid of the black screws and aluminate this thing as much as possible
    Maybe just sand it off?
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

This bad boy got completed pics bra? Saw the other with the body on and such.

Btw.... I just saw them Jordan's you got back there. That is one slick set-up bro. Your stuff is fresh. I rock all kinds of shoes myself. Love to see an update on this thread, unless I didn't find the right one.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Qualifier
    I know it's integy, but I really don't care.... That chassis looks Saaawweeeeett!! I like the way it curves up on the sides.. I really missed alot of good threads while I was gone.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by AbSoLooT1 View Post
    This bad boy got completed pics bra? Saw the other with the body on and such.

Btw.... I just saw them Jordan's you got back there. That is one slick set-up bro. Your stuff is fresh. I rock all kinds of shoes myself. Love to see an update on this thread, unless I didn't find the right one.
    sorry loot no updated pics man. it's still chassis'd out lol my plan was to purchase some 1/8th 17mm wheels/tires set but never got around to it. the motor/esc and shocks are stripped from her and placed on other builds. I'm in that P2DE phase right now

oh and the Jordans were my hobby since a kid along with RC'ing but I've lost interest in the past few years. thanks man.
    Last edited by G-Rustler; 10-28-2013 at 10:56 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltim0re28 View Post
    I know it's integy, but I really don't care.... That chassis looks Saaawweeeeett!! I like the way it curves up on the sides.. I really missed alot of good threads while I was gone.
    yea as soon as it updated on integy's website I called my buddy who has an inside connect with integy and he got it for me for waaaay cheaper than the website. the only thing I don't like is the carbon fiber upper deck. wish I could use the aluminum upper deck with it.

RC Qualifier
    That is a little awkward that they would make it completely aluminum except for the upper deck, and ten change the whole design of it so you can't even use the old all aluminum piece. Seems like they are headed down the FLM road where they really want you to use as many of their parts on the build as possible, so they make them where other brands won't fit. Looks great tho. I'm sure an all aluminum could be fabricated if you found the right person/tools to do it..

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltim0re28 View Post
    That is a little awkward that they would make it completely aluminum except for the upper deck, and ten change the whole design of it so you can't even use the old all aluminum piece. Seems like they are headed down the FLM road where they really want you to use as many of their parts on the build as possible, so they make them where other brands won't fit. Looks great tho. I'm sure an all aluminum could be fabricated if you found the right person/tools to do it..
    yea I was half passed ticked off that I couldn't use my aluminum upper deck anymore. went ahead and sold it thru package deal on ebay.

RC Qualifier
    RC Screwz kit for the traxxas rustler will do. It comes with almost all of the screws for your rig. They are stainless steel and won't rust and they are silver. I know you are most likely thinking that the traxxas screws are treated with rust. That treatment will wear off and rust will take the screw.
    Go Traxxas, Team Associated, and Losi!

RC poster
    Hi I would like to know: On the image of the chassis, it seems that the servo could only be screwed on one side (only 2 screws instead of 4).... Is it right?

RC Racer
    why all the metal you are going to bend in a crash i would like a break in stead of a bend

RC Enthusiast
    i live in south where there is lots of sun and surf along with good lookin women
    it looks great i just finished mine i used the same chassis but i also used the aluminum trani and the titanum links with gpm aluminum shocks . im waiting on my jaco foams and gears they have been back orderd . i went with the monster mamba 2200kv combo on 3s lipo for power

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by debs00 View Post
    Hi I would like to know: On the image of the chassis, it seems that the servo could only be screwed on one side (only 2 screws instead of 4).... Is it right?
    the servo screws on the upper chassis like the stock rustler chassis with 4 screws.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by tjk6789 View Post
    why all the metal you are going to bend in a crash i would like a break in stead of a bend
    It's aluminum not metal. I've been riding all aluminum Rustlers for about 4 years now with tons of wrecks/crashes and the only thing I've bent are the parts pictured above (castor blocks and body mounts) out of all my cars, this is the only one, once completed, that I didn't have to buy replacement parts for because nothing ever broke on it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mad fabricater View Post
    it looks great i just finished mine i used the same chassis but i also used the aluminum trani and the titanum links with gpm aluminum shocks . im waiting on my jaco foams and gears they have been back orderd . i went with the monster mamba 2200kv combo on 3s lipo for power
    To be honest, stay away from the Jaco Foams. Use GRP's,they are better. Jaco's tend to slide easily on the slightest amount of dirt on the road. They also aren't good if you're not going in a straight line, they make a chatter noise and skip around when you turn on them.