RC Enthusiast

picked up jato 3.3 roller

Hey guys (and Gals)

I picked up a mint shape jato 3.3 roller, complete minus the engine.

I have noticed quite a few differences between the TMAXX and Jato setups.

Namely, the Jato doesnt have any kind of Optidrive setup, whereas the Tmaxx does. What is the main purpose of the Optidrive system? DO I need it, should I add it etc?

I see a big battery box over rear bumper...but theres another one in middle of chassis. Do you guys run rear battery packs to get more weight over rear wheels?

I have a brand new 3.3 motor sitting in my shop (was keeping as spare for Tmaxx). So I plan to install the new motor and do the break in procedure..

Just looking for opinions on optidrive, etc.

RC Racer
    Optidrive is for reverse. Jato's do not have reverse so i wouldn't worry about it
    T-MAXX 2.5R
    Slayer Pro
    Revo
    Monster Pirate

RC Enthusiast
    makes sense.... it seems to be nicely upgraded, but i was shocked to see the stock drive shafts (plastic) after shearing off several with my tmaxx, i went to steel shafts right away

RC Enthusiast
    quick update on the jato

Installed steel drive shafts and a wheelie bar. Bought the proper flat rechargable battery pack and now its under the motor for better balance.

The previous owner has rear shocks on the front, so now I know why it wanted to rebound so crazy on woops... changed all the wheel bearings and replaced front and rear tie bars.

Proper flywheel finally came in so now I can install the new 3.3 motor i was keeping as a spare for my tmaxx.

Has anyone ever successfully mounted a gopro to their jato? I barely fit mine in my tmaxx, so figure its hopeless unless mounted externally

RC Competitor
    here is mine mounted to rear shock tower
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGk_37-U67HJEyjWdtjWblw
    Last edited by RYCRKT; 08-02-2013 at 04:29 AM.
    JATO, MERV, 4-TEC, & NITRO-VEE

RC Competitor
    i run a rear battery pack in my jato 3.3 to get the power to the wheels and it makes it wheelie better but on accelaration you wheelie straght up and you cant accelerate as fast
    T-Maxx 2.5r
    Stampede xl5