RC poster

letting smoke out of the velineon 3XL3S

Typical charge after use, then plugged the battery in, power up the handheld then press the onboard controller power-up switch...all kinds of blue and red led's start flickering under the waterproof cover, then sizzle and smoke comes out of the 3XL-3S unit. ***?

RC Qualifier
    I hate to tell you but it's fried.

Sent from my pocket while riding a dirt bike using Tapatalk 2
    It Breaks, You Build It Again........KCCO

RC Champion
    You are going to have to get a new one, it happens to everyone at some point.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by sawtannerdoit View Post
    Typical charge after use, then plugged the battery in, power up the handheld then press the onboard controller power-up switch...all kinds of blue and red led's start flickering under the waterproof cover, then sizzle and smoke comes out of the 3XL-3S unit. ***?
    Were you in water or very wet conditions prier to this?
    Traxxas says water proof,but sooner or later as stated above it has to happen.
    As a rule I would say 3s kills,but sounds like it would have happened on any battery and the extra voltage had nothing to do with it.
    If it was in fact water,as I said Traxxas says water proof,so they should stand behind it if it's not that old.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Make sure you send it into Traxxas. It will be worlds cheaper to send it in there for $60 than buying a new unit for retail. My ESC did the same exact thing once, got a replacement within the week.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

Quote Originally Posted by sawtannerdoit View Post
    What waterproof cover are you using? Maybe it got hot.

Sent from my Super-Kindle
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Were you in water or very wet conditions prier to this?
    Traxxas says water proof,but sooner or later as stated above it has to happen.
    As a rule I would say 3s kills,but sounds like it would have happened on any battery and the extra voltage had nothing to do with it.
    If it was in fact water,as I said Traxxas says water proof,so they should stand behind it if it's not that old.
    Yes, water and wet conditions prior to, but went through a good wipe down and dry-off period during and after the charge period (I didn't reinstall the charged battery for 2 days). Maybe I should contact Traxxas to see what they say. This vehicle is only about a year old.

Thanks B-Bones!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BanditTransit View Post
    Make sure you send it into Traxxas. It will be worlds cheaper to send it in there for $60 than buying a new unit for retail. My ESC did the same exact thing once, got a replacement within the week.
    I will do it. I think I will need an RMA or something so will contact them. I expect I will need to send them the motor and the ESC.

Thanks BT