RC Racer

Anyone running Big Joe Tires on the T Maxx

I'm very disappointed and concerned with my most recent purchase. I just dropped 600 bucks in upgrades on my T Maxx and part of the upgrades included a the 17 mm conversion. To go with this upgrade I decided on "ProLine 1103-13 3.8" Mounted Big Joe Tires & Wheels 17mm Rims Hex For T-Maxx". After such another large investment going back into this car it makes me sad that my first impression of these wheels and tires is not good.

Well late last night I put the finishing touches on the truck and went to mount the new wheels and tires, let's just say I know now why they call them "Big Joe's"!!! More importantly than the obscene size is the obnoxious weight issue. Luckily I also just installed a 500 oz. Savox High Torque Steering servo, and it has zero problems throwing these beastly tires around.

I spoke to the LHS briefly and his Big Joe inventory was out of stock, because in his words "they are a very big seller and very popular with the T Maxx owners"

Anyone running these wheels on the T Maxx have any input? Before I go and run these tires I want to know more about them in case I decide they need to be sent back.

I also changed my gearing around, I just installed a 56t spur gear and went from a 22t down to 17t bell.

With the bigger tires is this correct gearing set up?

Yep the Big Joes are big and heavy. You did correct in gearing down but a 17T bell is a little overkill unless you want a lot of torque. The weight of the tires and the torque with the 17T bell will be rough on the drive train. Center & wheel axles, diffs and transmission will take the most abuse. I would run the slipper a little more loose than normal with that gear and tires.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man View Post
    Yep the Big Joes are big and heavy. You did correct in gearing down but a 17T bell is a little overkill unless you want a lot of torque. The weight of the tires and the torque with the 17T bell will be rough on the drive train. Center & wheel axles, diffs and transmission will take the most abuse. I would run the slipper a little more loose than normal with that gear and tires.
    I wanted lots of torque I really just wanted a wheelie machine, I have installed new steel drive and axle shafts, I also just installed a Forward Only Transmission, I will loosen the slipper clutch a bit.

But the bottom line am I OK with these wheels and tires, or should I consider sending them back? If people are running them and like them then I want to keep'em I don't want to spend money on sending them back if I don't have to....

RC Champion
    Wow the big joes are really big/heavy tires. Sure robs performance.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyleb View Post
    Wow the big joes are really big/heavy tires. Sure robs performance.
    Why on Earth do they even make these tires available then? For my LHS to tell me they are so popular I'm not getting any responses from anyone saying how great they are!?!?!

RC Competitor
    I run them on my summit I love them they grip and they are just cool lookin. They are heavy but they look cool doin it

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2