RC poster

need to upgrade... best setup between a mamba & stock dual motors?

I just smoked my brushed motors so I gotta upgrade.

I dont want mamba power as it is way overkill for me since I already have an erevo brushless.

Any suggestions for a reliable brushless combo somewhere in between stock and mambas that wont break the bank?

RC Racer
    I see a lot of people on here talking about the hobbywing set ups, everyone seems to like them and I don't think they are too pricy.

RC poster
    So I've spent the day looking at quite a few different motor combos but I still need some guidance.

Do I need 150A setup?

I'm gonna assume the weight of the emaxx puts extra stress on the 120A setup and may potentially have heat issues.

can I get by with a 120A setup? Also, what KV rating should I look for in a motor.

RC Racer
    Yes you can get by 120 a but i would recommend 150 a or 160 a motor 2000 kv depends on the brand

I run a 150a esc and 1650 kv 6 pole brushless gearing is spur 68 pinion 19 battaries 2x3c 6400 mah

U can use the MM as a guideline

RC Qualifier
    i run a 120 amp with 2100 kv on 2 2 cells get about 40 out of it. stockgearing

RC poster
    thats about all the speed I really want out of it. A little faster than the stock duals & reliability from going brushless. I know if I go mamba, I'm gonna be breaking stuff left & right. What brand parts are you using?

RC Qualifier
    Few people realize that the MMM is a 120A ESC (continuous). Problem with the cheap Brushless combo is that their amp rates are very questionable while Castle products are very reliable.

If you want an upgrade here are two options in between stock and the MMM:

1) Go with a dual 700 or a single 820 motor. You can keep your ESC. You will spend $70 to $80 (using the Kershaw kits as reference). I currently have the dual 700 in mine and it is very fast and tons of torque. On the other hand it drains the batteries very fast. My E-Maxx is fully upgraded with tons of aluminum and it is very, very heavy;
    2) The Novak Diablo Combo is designed for the E-Maxx and you can get for only $165 (shipped) at Tower if you are a member. If you are not a member you pay $190. That is almost the same as the cheapo combo setups. It is a sensored system so great low speed handling with no cogging and you get the support from a US based company.
    Not enough space here

RC poster
    so I had someone offer me a used mamba max system for $175. I'm probably gonna go that route. Is it risky getting a used mamba setup? These are pretty reliable right? or am I asking for trouble going used?

RC Qualifier
    Hard to say. Castle is very reliable but ultimately it all depends on how it was used by the previous owner.
    Not enough space here

RC poster
    So just to update...

I discovered that my brushed motors were fine. The smoke I saw last week apparently came from my slipper clutch being way too loose. Dumb newbie mistake. :/

As soon as I went with the Mamba Monster I saw smoke again and the car actually was slower. I pulled the cover off and saw that the slipper clutch was barely holding the power. DOH!

All good tho... After a quick adjustment, the truck is a beast! Also, everything was so easy to swap since it originally came from a brushless edition. Literally took like 5 minutes. I don't know why I was even considering something less than the mamba setup. I was afraid it was gonna be a handful for my kids, but the truck is still easy to drive below 50% throttle and a monster when I slam it.