Thread: Rear power loss

RC Competitor

Rear power loss

Lost power to rear wheels last run I did. My first thought was rear diff. Just took it apart and it looks flawless. Any ideas what else it could be? Wheels look fine although showing some wear.

RC Qualifier
    Centre drive shaft - check the pin / grub screw connecting the long centre drive shaft to the rear diff AND the connection to the tranny.

RC Competitor
    checked the shaft and it seems to be ok. I put the back half back in and it turns the slipper just fine both ways by hand.

RC Qualifier
    If your front diff spins, your tranny spins, and this causes your rear centre shaft to spin then the problem is either in your diff, or the grub screws holding your drive shafts onto the rear diff aren't attached. Do the diff output shafts spin??

RC Competitor
    I already have the diff out thinking that was it. The output grubs were tight and I couldn't see any spin marks on them or the output shafts. The only thing I didn't visually inspect were the spider gears in the diff and the tranny. The rear center shaft will spin the tranny and it feels good. I will take a look at the spider gears in a bit. From turning the diff they feel fine, I don't feel any sort of grinding or feel it skip like a tooth or so is missing. I have a new diff waiting also. I might go ahead and shim it and put it in and all back together to test it out.

RC Qualifier
    what center drive shaft are you using? if it's the stock one did you make sure it's not stripped?

RC Competitor
    Ya its the stock shaft but it looks fine. I checked the spider gears and the are fine too. Its really got me puzzled now. Does anyone know if it could be something in the tranny?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Have you checked the rear diff, I think it is stripped, put the truck on the air and spin the rear tires, they should spin in opposite direction, if not something is not ok.

RC Competitor
    Ya the diff is out right now. Pulled it apart and all gears look fine no wear or missing teeth. The center drive shaft looks fine as far as I can tell. I put the rear part of the shaft back in and spun it. It turns the tranny and slipper etc. I held the front tires to see if the shaft slipped in any way but it didn't.
    Think I will put it back together tonight with a new diff I have and test it tomorrow. If it was something in the tranny would the front still work? What was weird was that when it happened the fronts just started spinning like crazy and the back had nothing. I just didn't hear any noise from the rear diff like I have in the past when I destroyed a pinion.

RC Champion
    have you checked the rear drive shafts that connect to the wheels? What about the hexes?
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Competitor
    Replaced the rear diff with the new one and all is well. I still have no clue why it had no power to rear wheels. The old diff looked to be in perfect shape.

RC poster
    Hey! i just ran into the same problem yesterday. I took apart the rear diff and everything looked fine. My front wheels had power but the rear ones didnt. Now after going though it i have power a little power in the rear but now in all 4 wheels it seems to have not enough power. I can put my hand on any of the 4 tires and they wont move. Any ideas could it be? the truck drives slow/ doesnt have enough power.

RC Competitor
    I would check the whole drive train. I haven't run into that problem before. Mine did end up being the diff I believe. I did change wheels too. The rear had slight wear on the hex but were still good.

RC Enthusiast
    my guess is your running too heavy visc. oil in your rear diff... i made the same mistake us a lower weight oil

RC Competitor
    Its stock oil

RC poster
    im running 2s 40-80c 7600 mah lipos. i checked out the rear diff. looked good.im just gonna take it to a hobby shop hopefully someone can just point out the problem. i took it apart 3 times already.