RC Qualifier

Tricks Of the Trade

I've been wanting to tell you guyz about a few tricks that I came up with a while back that might help out with making your Emax's a bit more reliable.

The first involves the Traxxas bearings that come with our Emax's. I have (in the past) used the Traxxas, and the more expensive hoop-dee-doo bearings, but neither proved to be reliable. The worst of the bearing problems would be when a bearing went bad in a differential. When that happened, the spent bearing would cause the differential to take a major hit. I usually had to replace everything except the spider gears.

What I found, by examining both the spent and new bearings, was that the (especially fromTraxxas) bearings had very little greese in them. When the greese wore out (which was quick), then when the bearings got hit with moisture...it was just a matter of time before they failed.

What you can do is before they fail, or before you put new bearings in is; you can use an Ex-acto knife to take off the blue bearing covers, clean the bearing with kerosene, and re-pack the beaing with Bel-Ray water proof greese. I started doing this over 4 years ago, and I haven't had a bearing or a differential problem (I don't shim my differentials) since. The worst bearing problem I have had is: this year, I had a bearing lose one of its' blue covers. The bearing didn't fail, but I re-packed a new one and replaced the old one.

I also, used the same greese inside my differential's inner cup, and for the differentials' main gears' lubrication. I found that you can adjust the differentials' slip by mixing the Bel-Ray greese with graphite in the diff cup. In my rear differential I use a 50/50 mix, and the slip is preddy stiff. In my front differential I use 80% greese, and 20% graphite. In the past 4 years I haven't had a diff failure. This year (just for the heck of it) I took apart both differentials to inspect them, and all I found was a missing tooth on the main gear of the rear differential.

Anyway, I hope this information helps you guyz out. I've been wanting to give this to you for a while now. With that said, I'll say take care untill the next time.

P.S. If you want me to take pictures of how to take apart a Traxxas bearing, show a re-pack, and then putting it all back together again, let me know.
    Last edited by ReglarDude; 06-30-2013 at 07:56 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Grease

Great idea!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I know, I know...it sounds like I'm being goofy. But really, new bearings have hardly any greese in them. And when I say re-pack them, I mean, I really stuff'em as much as they can hold. I'm telling yea "Neut", not a single bearing problem in a little over 4 years. I like the Traxxas bearings best, because they're easier to take apart. I haven't had the need to shim anything, and I run my truck in almost every condition, but snow. Also, I like peeling out, and pulling wheelies, which (as I'm sure you know) is tuff on diffs. I would of said something earlier, but I haven't been a forum member long, and when I did join I was mainly using the Spartan forum.

In closing, the only problem I have had this year with my Max was a blown ESC (knock on wood), and you guyz helped me with that. Anyway, I wanted to return the favor, so give it a try. You won't regret it...promise!
    Last edited by ReglarDude; 07-01-2013 at 03:15 AM.

"Greese" is spelled "grease".

It makes sense... 1:1 bearings are packed full of grease.

RC Qualifier
    Nice do you think maaayybbee this would save more revo diffs?
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Competitor
    I'd like to see some pics for taking apart and reassembling bearings. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    I will do some pictures for you Dildano. And from now on, I will spell greese G..R..E..A..S..E for you Jimmie. (lol)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    bearings don't need to be packed with grease, it will only attract more dirt.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 07-01-2013 at 04:31 PM.

You are correct.
    He is suggesting to pack them with grease, not it in.