RC Qualifier

is no one running nitro

i feel like the tmaxx/nitro is dyeing and everyone is going electric and i mean everyone, kinda feel sad. i went to the race track today with my maxx for a lil mt race and i was the only nitro out, out of about 35 cars everyone was electric even the other mts what has the world come to
    men drive nitro

RC Racer
    Electric Is just easier looks like. Easier to maintain sell parts and don't have to buy gas just 2 batteries.

RC Qualifier
    I'll stick with Nitro thank you
    Desmosedici RR

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    nitro fuel here is ridiculously over priced, for $57 a gallon. I can burn that off easily with in less than 2 weeks if I play conservatively. I don't hate nitro, I've had my fare share playing with them. if the nitro fuel cost $35 a gallon I will consider building my t-maxx back or revo lol.
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 06-30-2013 at 09:40 PM.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Champion
    If traxxas would come out with a gas t-maxx. Id sell all my electric's in a second. Only reason i went electric cause i was burning a gallon of fuel a week. 29 dollars for a gallon, 20 dollars in gas to get to hobby shop, the rest of my money on rc stuff i didnt need, lol.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    nitro fuel here is ridiculously over priced, for $57 a gallon (here) I can burn that off easily with in less than 2 weeks if I play conservatively. I don't hate nitro I've had my fare share playing with them. if the nitro fuel cost $35 a gallon I will consider building my t-maxx back or revo lol.
    57 a gallon boy they're gettin you guys good! I just bough another gallon up here in Thousand Oaks at Martys and it was 24 bucks!
    Desmosedici RR

RC Champion
    Yep same up here almost 60 a gal. I can burn through that in a weekend where I'm at their is do much room to play and had 2 nitro's. selling off my nitro's and going to electric I was able to get a few summits, emaxx, rustler and get myself a good collection of accessories. I love the smell of nitro just to expencive

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    I have two reasons for going electric.
    1. the place where I live are old folks and they don't like the noise and bashing area are always border lined with no trespassing allowed. I can go to the park but the noise attracts to easy with kids and then they start asking me if they can run it or they run along with the truck and i'm afraid of hitting them, you know how it is when you hit a kid, their parents will sue you just like that now a days, when really they should watch after they're kids. some public parks do have restrictions, I guess cause I was told to leave once.

2. the mess I have to clean is just a air compressor blow away
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Champion
    Latitude:N 37 15' 47.0002" Longitude:W 115 47' 34.8713"
    everyone i race with and bash with uses 1/8th scale buggies and short course trucks, its why i have a hyper7tq and buggy8-e... i rarely see anyone with a true monster truck anymore, but i do still constantly see nitro buggies and my hyper7tq gets a lot of use still to date...... my maxx is put up in a display case prolly for a long long time

mainly i have switched out to 1/8th buggies and 450 class helicopters is all i care about right now..
    Traxxas is good, but so are other Manus

RC Champion
    We went nitro when we got back in the hobby in October last year since we didn't know about brushless and lipos.
    I got out of the hobby in 1990 and back the it was nicad and brushed motors and my cars only ran about 10 minutes per charge.
    By December of last year, we had accumulated 16 nitro vehicles and had ran through 16 gallons of fuel.
    In December after reading about brushless I decided to switch and started building myself an erevo.
    By march I'd sold all of my nitro, my brother sold most of his and converted his Revos to electric.
    My sisters boyfriend sold his nitro Revos about a month ago. So we are all 100% electric now.
    We have 20 electrics now, rustlers, slash's, slash 4x4's, emaxx's, Revo-e's, 1/8 scale buggy's and truggy's, mini summit, and a full size summit.

This pic was during the changeover from nitro to electric,
    Last edited by Zepher; 06-30-2013 at 11:35 PM.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcar View Post
    If traxxas would come out with a gas t-maxx. Id sell all my electric's in a second. Only reason i went electric cause i was burning a gallon of fuel a week. 29 dollars for a gallon, 20 dollars in gas to get to hobby shop, the rest of my money on rc stuff i didnt need, lol.
    I have NEVER seen Nitro fuel go for more than 40 a gallon. I pay 25…

RC poster
    From what I've read, it's a pendulum. 5 or 6 years ago electric was big as well. Then Nitro, now electric. I'm sticking with nitro, . I want to maintain my edit. I want to smell the burning fuel. I want to HEAR WHAT I"M DRIVING. I hate electric. I hate how you have 10 - 30 minutes of drive time, depending on the battery before you have to charge. I hate tht batteries are 100+ bucks each. Electric RC cars are a prime example of how this country is getting lazy. Whats one of the biggest reasons people will give you to go electric? "OH its not as much maintenance, you dont have to tune them" LAZINESS!!!
    Last edited by Double G; 07-01-2013 at 08:18 AM. Reason: content and language

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo91 View Post
    From what I've read, it's a pendulum. 5 or 6 years ago electric was big as well. Then Nitro, now electric. I'm sticking with nitro, I want to maintain my edit. I want to smell the burning fuel. I want to HEAR WHAT I"M DRIVING. I hate electric. I hate how you have 10 - 30 minutes of drive time, depending on the battery before you have to charge. I hate tht batteries are 100+ bucks each. Electric RC cars are a prime example of how this country is getting lazy. Whats one of the biggest reasons people will give you to go electric? "OH its not as much maintenance, you dont have to tune them" LAZINESS!!!
    Not sure where u buy your batteries but you can get a good lipo for about the same price as a gal of fuel. And way more runtime than 30 min. To each their own. If nitro was not so expensive where I live and I did not have to drive 30 min to find a good place to bash so I was not upsetting the neighbours I would probably still have a nitro. Selling off my last nitro was a great choice as the money went to buying my 3 year old her emaxx
    Last edited by Double G; 07-01-2013 at 08:19 AM.

RC Racer
    From what I've read, it's a pendulum. 5 or 6 years ago electric was big as well. Then Nitro, now electric. I'm sticking with nitro. I want to maintain my edit. I want to smell the burning fuel. I want to HEAR WHAT I"M DRIVING. I hate electric. I hate how you have 10 - 30 minutes of drive time, depending on the battery before you have to charge. I hate tht batteries are 100+ bucks each. Electric RC cars are a prime example of how this country is getting lazy. Whats one of the biggest reasons people will give you to go electric? "OH its not as much maintenance, you dont have to tune them" LAZINESS!!!
    I have to agree with your frustration. My local track doesn't allow nitro at all anymore. I took my Nitro Sport 3.3 to the track about a month ago with the intention of whooping up on some electrics and throwing down some fast laps. Unfortunately the owner says "oh we don't allow nitros anymore". I asked him "since when?" He said 'It's been about 6 months now". I just shook my head in disgust and put my track equipment back in my truck and went home. I guess now ultimately my intention is to break down and buy an electric short course truck or something. I dont know much about electrics besides lipo batteries and brushless motors and even then I dont know what to buy or what is necessary or required to operate them. Whats popular and such. The ol' saying...."If you cant beat em, join em" comes to mind. Only when its all said and done and I have a better understanding on how to get the most out of an electric rc. I plan to run circles around the competition.
    Last edited by Double G; 07-01-2013 at 08:19 AM.
    Traxxas Nitro Sport w/ TRX 3.3 Racing Engine

RC Qualifier
    Most of my hobby shops stopped selling nitro cars. The ones that still do, sell only a few. Some of them thought that traxxas discontinued the tmaxx 2.5!
    And we thought toy grade RC's where cool...

From what I've read, it's a pendulum. 5 or 6 years ago electric was big as well. Then Nitro, now electric. I'm sticking with nitro, . I want to maintain my edit. I want to smell the burning fuel. I want to HEAR WHAT I"M DRIVING. I hate electric. I hate how you have 10 - 30 minutes of drive time, depending on the battery before you have to charge. I hate tht batteries are 100+ bucks each. Electric RC cars are a prime example of how this country is getting lazy. Whats one of the biggest reasons people will give you to go electric? "OH its not as much maintenance, you dont have to tune them" LAZINESS!!!
    I love nitro too and also have a brushless vehicle. Your "facts" are skewed a bit. Two very decent batteries cost me about $40 and provide a good amount of run time each. For the price of about 4 gallons of nitro you could buy quite a few batteries and a decent charger and run all day.
    There is still maintenance involved with electric and with the higher end systems there is software to be able to link your computer and work on timing, braking and so much more that I still don't understand. I would highly suggest you do research before trying to pass along opinions as facts.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Well said! I run both and have for a long time. yesterday I decided it was nitro day only and played with the Tmaxx and Nitro 4tec.. ran around for a while, but everyone else had electrics where I was.. Went home and came back with my brushless Slashes, Brushless Rustler and touring cars.. Funny enough I had more fun with them. When I was done, I just take out the battery and put them away. I still love nitro and always will... As far as being easier and being called lazy.. hardly.. programming the esc via a laptop is the same as tuning a nitro engine, just cooler..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Champion
    well about 2 years ago i re-joined the hobby and was strictly electric but then it got boring...even with 3s Lipos...so i grabbed a non-traxxas nitro buggy and i feel somewhere deep down that i may be a nitro-head. i'm still in the process of mastering the tuning and it doesnt bother me. its just something about that sound and smoke that made me fall in love with nitro...i'm 50/50 on the electric vs. nitro arguement i guess

RC Qualifier
    hearing my tmaxx 3.3 rev up and then shift into second is awesome and its realistic. I can only imagine electric to be boring.

I burned about 7/8th of a gallon Saturday and Sunday at the local off road track, and about gallon with my on road stuff.
    I was the only 1 of the approx 15 or so people this weekend that were on the track running Nitro.
    To me it’s not about someone being lazy or how plug & play electric is, it’s about the instant power/torque that brushless and lipo can produce that makes it so desirable.
    I will probably always have/run a nitro rc of some type, its in my blood. But, if you have ever pulled the trigger attached to say a 1717 motor and 6/8S you can’t help but get a smile on your face (and it does make noise, just a different noise).
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC poster
    Hi. My problem with nitro was that i couldn't run it whenever i wanted. I needed to drive out of the city ~35miles to run my revo 3.3 i just drove it a half of a gallon and i was sick of that thing to drive somewhere to run it.. now i have e-revo and my nitro revo. But honestly i liked a smell of a nitro and a sound..but when i got e-revo i am driving everywhere and almost everyday.. and i am happy with that finally i can fully enjoy and get into a hobby even thinking to sell my nitro revo..sad but it's true. Btw i am living in norway...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

RC Qualifier
    I loved nitro when I first entered the scene. I picked up a 1/16 erevo vxl on 2s and it just wasn't enough. I now have a 3s Stampede 4x4 that I have fallen in love with. I was against electric until this truck joined my fleet. Complete beast.
    Big Air Don't Care

I Love NITRO!!!!!!!
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    I Love NITRO!!!!!!!
    Amen brother!

If I'm ever the last person on the planet to run nitro, there I'll be, alone, running my nitro.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    Amen brother!

If I'm ever the last person on the planet to run nitro, there I'll be, alone, running my nitro.
    He meant the old American Gladiator.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man View Post
    I burned about 7/8th of a gallon Saturday and Sunday at the local off road track, and about gallon with my on road stuff.
    I was the only 1 of the approx 15 or so people this weekend that were on the track running Nitro.
    To me it’s not about someone being lazy or how plug & play electric is, it’s about the instant power/torque that brushless and lipo can produce that makes it so desirable.
    I will probably always have/run a nitro rc of some type, its in my blood. But, if you have ever pulled the trigger attached to say a 1717 motor and 6/8S you can’t help but get a smile on your face (and it does make noise, just a different noise).
    i don't think it could be said any better than that.. unless you've experienced the power of electric systems and the huge smile watching the tires get blown off the rims.. you really cannot have an opinion... I love nitro and always will.. but most of my running has switched to electric and I don't see that changing any time soon.. For the record.. I will always keep my Tmaxx and Nitro 4tec.. Those two vehicles at least to me represent what nitro is all about.. P.S. there is something intoxicating about the sound of a Brushless motor sounding like a dentist drill on steroids.. different.. YES... Cool... definately..

RC Champion
    well i guess i win this debate i have nitro trucks, electric trucks, nitro buggies, electric buggies, and 450 sized helicopters flybarred and flybarless, and a few planes, and a revolt 30fe mono on its way in the mail as we speak....

hahaha

this vs. this threads are crazy, cause unless you have boats, big collective pitch helicopters, trucks, buggies, sct's, ect., nitro and electric both, then your still missing out on some serious rc goodness......

just proving a point that someone can be bias all day long and all it does is make them miss out, me i love all rc's and all manufactures of them... if not i wouldnt have the beautiful helicopters and planes and boat on the way that i have...

**award winning answer** ===>one of everything please when it comes to rc

such as on urc.com forums and many others they constantly bash traxxas and i fight with them all the time i love my tmaxx and mini e-revo.... ill never sell them.. but i do also love my ofna buggies and my align and blade helicopters, my typhoon 3d and cox extra 300, and my mgt8.0, they are all good

its crazy to me when someone has like 6 of the same vehicle or similar, sell some and get a heli, or a plane, or a different land vehicle class then you already have, or a boat, ect, mix it up...

and with heli's and planes you get into proper computerized radios that do amazing things
    Last edited by kuskye25; 07-04-2013 at 12:43 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kuskye25 View Post
    well i guess i win this debate i have nitro trucks, electric trucks, nitro buggies, electric buggies, and 450 sized helicopters flybarred and flybarless, and a few planes, and a revolt 30fe mono on its way in the mail as we speak....

hahaha

this vs. this threads are crazy, cause unless you have boats, big collective pitch helicopters, trucks, buggies, sct's, ect., nitro and electric both, then your still missing out on some serious rc goodness......

just proving a point that someone can be bias all day long and all it does is make them miss out, me i love all rc's and all manufactures of them... if not i wouldnt have the beautiful helicopters and planes and boat on the way that i have...

**award winning answer** ===>one of everything please when it comes to rc

such as on urc.com forums and many others they constantly bash traxxas and i fight with them all the time i love my tmaxx and mini e-revo.... ill never sell them.. but i do also love my ofna buggies and my align and blade helicopters, my typhoon 3d and cox extra 300, and my mgt8.0, they are all good

its crazy to me when someone has like 6 of the same vehicle or similar, sell some and get a heli, or a plane, or a different land vehicle class then you already have, or a boat, ect, mix it up...

and with heli's and planes you get into proper computerized radios that do amazing things
    you sound like me.. I have just about everything. Obviously I have a Tmaxx and Nitro 4tec.. But I also have a couple of brushless Slashes, Brushless Ruster,3 Brushless Touring cars..Brushless 1/16 rally, and no for the good stuff.. Nitro airplanes, brushless airplanes.. 2 helicopter walkera 4#3b brushless and a Trex 450 clone.. One of my favorites is my Brushless Thunder Tiger Ducati bike and my Traxxas Villain boat.. I still have a couple of Kyosho Buggies and my USA-1 Nitro Monster truck.. There are a couple of others as well.. I like diversity... most of the older stuff is no relegated to shelf queen use due to the value.. Oh, almost forgot.. I still have my HPI Baja 5B gas buggy...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cenracer1 View Post
    you sound like me.. I have just about everything. Obviously I have a Tmaxx and Nitro 4tec.. But I also have a couple of brushless Slashes, Brushless Ruster,3 Brushless Touring cars..Brushless 1/16 rally, and no for the good stuff.. Nitro airplanes, brushless airplanes.. 2 helicopter walkera 4#3b brushless and a Trex 450 clone.. One of my favorites is my Brushless Thunder Tiger Ducati bike and my Traxxas Villain boat.. I still have a couple of Kyosho Buggies and my USA-1 Nitro Monster truck.. There are a couple of others as well.. I like diversity... most of the older stuff is no relegated to shelf queen use due to the value.. Oh, almost forgot.. I still have my HPI Baja 5B gas buggy...
    +1000 amen dude.... i love to see when people get into land/water/air vehicles all at once, its just so rare, its what its all about, and your never bored with RC, and honestly it gives you huge incite into a lot of things that you can apply to all your RC's that you wouldnt have done before

my biggest thing with only having land vehicles is that it started making me bored as i wasnt being challenged anymore on driving, just sometimes on building and maintaining... get a 450 size FB/FBL heli and youll never lack in the challenge department, as im sure you well know

and its funny how you say "and now for the good stuff" "planes and heli's" they really are the highest end rc's you can get involved in, from building to diagnostics to crashing/learning to fly to rebuilding again, they just are the best of the best, i can only do circuits and figure 8's and stuff like that but keep at it and someday ill be doing stuff like you see people on youtube saying they think are fake videos...
    Last edited by kuskye25; 07-04-2013 at 01:23 PM.

RC Champion
    I wish I could say I can do that stuff on youtube like some of those video's but trust me... Its not me.. I was better a while back, but I don't have the time to devote to them anymore. I just grab then a couple of times a month to keep the muscle memory going in my thumbs and impress the occasional onlooker..LOL
    Lately my son and I have become more involved with FPV.. specifically flying wings and quad copters.. while the flying wings zip around at 100mph taking video and flying by camera only, the quad copters are almost like cheating. you really don't have to fly them anymore.. The GPS, Stabilization and computers do all the work. Program the flight you want and hit enter on the laptop.. the copter takes off, flies around and lands exactly where you want. We are developing a business for them.. Much more him than me.. There is tremendous potential for the applications that these things can do.. And just for anyone who is wondering.. We don't and won't spy on anyone.. there are more important things to do with these.. And the pictures/video that these gopro cameras can now take is unreal... I have some really cool pictures that one of the flying wings took during a controlled approved flight up to 7000 feet..I can't post them due to copyright/legal reasons from the client, but they are stunning...

Anyway.. I like to keep my r/c hobby diverse.. I have a rule with myself.. If I get bored, I won't do it anymore.. I just don't have the time to waste at this point in my life with work/kids/family obligations.. I wish I did however.. but 30 years later, I still live and breathe r/c.

RC Competitor
    when i bought my maxx i knew that electrics were better.(at least in my opinion) faster, cleaner,easier. but i still got a nitro because i wanted something to tinker with and of coarse the noise. who doesnt love the sound of 30,000 RPM! also, since i got back into the hobby, people are that used to be in it are just giving me old nitro stuff. picked up a rc10gt and an rc10gt2 with spares for 80 bucks. even got a O.S. CV-R .18. and, i just picked up a Mach .15 for free. its locked up but so what it was free. i love nitro and as long as im in the hobby ill prolly always have one. i would love a brushless short coarse truck. those thing as awsome. My nitros do get on my nerves every now and then. hope here doesnt get sick of having to run after their truck when it dies? i know i do. but im still a fan
    its a good thing i like taking things apart.

RC Racer
    i have wondered this myself i love the smell the sound and even working on the nitro engines i pay 30$ a gallon for nitro fuel but it lasts me a month i just cant stand how electrics have no sound it doesn't feel right to drive them
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl