RC Racer

Should I get a blast?

So I got into R/C a few months ago with a slash and I'm trying to decide if I should get a blast. I had intentions on building a trailer for it to put on my slash but I had afew questions. How hard is it to make the blast brushless? Can I use the XL5 esc with the 3500 velineon motor? How easy is it to change to a 2.4 GHZ radio? And any other pros and cons for the blast.
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

In general, I'd only recommend getting a boat if you have easy access to water. I've seen many people over the years who have bought boats and rarely use them because they just don't feel like driving to a body of water suitable for running the boat. If you've got easy access, then a boat can be a lot of fun--I've always loved R/C boating!

As for the Blast itself, it's more of an entry level boat. People have installed brushless systems in it, but the hull really wasn't designed for crazy speeds. If it were mine, I'd just go with a mild brushed motor (with an ESC that can handle it) and call it good. The XL-5 ESC is a brushed only ESC, so it cannot run the Velineon motor; you'd want to buy the whole set (motor and ESC) if you really wanted to make the jump to brushless. Upgrading to a 2.4 radio should be easy.

Overall, the Blast is a great boat for smaller bodies of water. It isn't all that fast, but it's a great boat to learn on (and it can be upgraded pretty easily).
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    DERP! I meant the VXL 3s ESC! LOL. But yeah I have a nice spot but the only problem would be the dam that lets water into the river but even if it did go down it i dont think there would be damage cause its a small dam.
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Competitor
    What cooleocool said is spot on. I've been playing with one of these for the last two weeks and finally got to test it out yesterday at the lake. I bought mine without an esc so I had automatically had to buy one. I've got a brushless motor and esc on the way, so I swapped out my xl5 and titan 12t out of my rustler just for yesterday. I've also got an octura prop as well. I was pretty impressed, on nimh it was running probably 20 mph and throwing a pretty good rooster tail. The xl5 and titan I think is a good match, it's decently fast and fun but yet easy to control. It's definitely a beginner boat and I've heard that brushless exceeds the limits of the hull. I should find out for sure in the next couple of weeks.

RC Racer
    I got one a month or so ago. Drove it once and ordered an xl5 and Titan 12t motor. Also didn't like the stick radio so I bought a 2.4 receiver and linked it with one of my radios. Also wanted to have a little farther range just in case. I don't want to go swimming. I plan on driving it tonight with the new upgrades.
    (2) Slash 4x4 HCG