RC poster

Noob 2.4 questions

Hey guys,
    Hope I'm not asking a redundant or already answered question. I have a Mini E-Revo VXL with the new style 2.4 radio (2 channel), and I also have a 5th scale Baja 5B. I want a 4-channel radio for the baja for a kill switch and the ability to turn LED lights on and off, but I would also love to have the transmitter work for both of my vehicles. I have found a 2.4 4-channel on fleabay dirt cheap, but it was for the funny car, which has the burnout and stage switch up top. Would that be a useable channel for anything besides the funny car? All I need is an on-off switch for the kill switch. I hope that my question is not considered support for another brand, since all I'm asking about is the radio and that channel. Thanks for any help or insight!
    -CMoorer04

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I think it will work... but I cannot say for sure because I have never had one of those in my hands. I am pretty sure though that it is a "standard" 4/5 channel Traxxas controller... where channels 4 and 5 are halves of one another.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Well the third channel on the 5th scale is all that's really important (nobody wants to fit hit by a 40lb runaway RC car), but I know as soon as I get a 3channel radio I will run across a deal for some LED's and will want to run them off the receiver. I may get something for the MERV and need the third channel, but that's very unlikely. Regardless, thanks for your input Jimmie and if anybody else has a comment or suggestion I would greatly appreciate it!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    All the channels have power even with a 2 channel radio... you just cannot control them.

If you want to control them, you would need the extra channel radio as well as a receiver controlled switch (aka RX Switch). This device takes the controllers signal and flips a switch on and off for lights, fans, ect.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Thanks for the input Jimmie. I ended up not pulling the trigger on the funny car radio, but it's nice to know that if I find another one cheap that it will function usefully. As far as plugging/unplugging the lights from the receiver it would be slightly more difficult than on the MERV, since on the 1/5th scale the throttle servo is integrated and you have to mess with linkages on and off, which is more than I'm willing to do for some cute little L.E.D's. Regardless, thanks for the wonderful info and insight!