Thread: Little help

RC Racer

Little help

To start, I have the 5707L with all of the stock Castle electronics. Yesterday I was running my spartan at my local lake and all of the sudden it would only turn right. I swam out and retrieved the boat. When I opened it up I noticed that the servo had turned so far clockwise, that it had gone from say normally 6 o'clock to now almost 12 o'clock. If that makes sense. The steering linkage was bending and looking pretty ugly. I unplugged the batteries and manually reset the servo, then restarted the boat and everything performed as usual. I'm not sure why this happened, but I'm 99% sure the rudder did not hit anything. I was plenty deep enough and there was no damage or marks to the rudder. I was able to run the boat for another 5 min or so and then it happened again; however, this time the servo didn't over rotate. It was maxed out to its normal clockwise limit and not responding to the controller. The motor was responding fine. The boat had taken on some minor water due to the windy/choppy conditions, but nothing major. I called it a day and opened up the receiver box. In my receiver box I keep a piece of a sponge that is cut to fit in the dead space and it was slightly moist, but definitely not wet completely. Maybe a few drops were in there. Just to make sure I put it in a bag of rice when I got home. I just went out to test it after over 24 hours in rice bag and its not right. With everything connected in the idle position, the servo is twitching. It responds to the controller to the max clockwise direction, but won't go to the max counter clockwise. It only goes about half way in that direction. While its twitching in idle, it stays a little off center towards the clockwise direction. I'm assuming that my receiver or servo is bad, but I'm hoping that someone can send me in the right direction so I'm not guessing. Sorry this is so dang long, but I wanted you to know what I know.
    Last edited by Carnes99; 07-02-2013 at 10:45 PM.

RC Qualifier
    If I think I have a servo or a reciever problem, I can try a couple of things, but I usually do is this: I disconnect the ESC from the reciever, and plug in my steering servo at the reciever port that my ESC use to be in. Then, I plug in a 6 volt DC battery pack in the battery port of the reciever. Now, when I use my transmitter's trigger throttle my steering servo will work. If my servo acts normal; I know it's a reciever problem. If my servo acts the same as before; I know I have a sevo problem.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarDude View Post
    If I think I have a servo or a reciever problem, I can try a couple of things, but I usually do is this: I disconnect the ESC from the reciever, and plug in my steering servo at the reciever port that my ESC use to be in. Then, I plug in a 6 volt DC battery pack in the battery port of the reciever. Now, when I use my transmitter's trigger throttle my steering servo will work. If my servo acts normal; I know it's a reciever problem. If my servo acts the same as before; I know I have a sevo problem.
    I think I can try this, but I don't understand how this proves which one is bad. You're still not isolating the servo from the receiver.

RC Champion
    If you have any other servo, just plug it into the #1 slot on your receiver and give that a try.

Sounds like you may have stripped some gears in the servo.

Twitching thou is more of a receiver issue. Do you have another Traxxas receiver to test with?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarDude View Post
    I disconnect the ESC from the reciever, and plug in my steering servo at the reciever port that my ESC use to be in.
    I understand! Doh! that proved that my servo is bad, because its acting the same on channel 1 as it is on channel 2. Thanks for the help RegularDude! Off to go buy a servo. Unless it can be dried out? Seems like it should last longer than 4 trips out though!

Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    If you have any other servo, just plug it into the #1 slot on your receiver and give that a try.

Sounds like you may have stripped some gears in the servo.

Twitching thou is more of a receiver issue. Do you have another Traxxas receiver to test with?
    I have some servos for my cars, but I don't have another receiver. The external gear is not stripped, but maybe internally. I thought twitching would be the receiver as well.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-03-2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    Well, I replaced the servo and she's back up and running. I bought one at my LHS for $27 and I'm sending the original back to Traxxas for warranty. At least now I'll have a spare for future problems. Thanks for your help guys!

RC Qualifier
    You're welcome. I'm glad everything turn out okay.