RC poster

What are some of the first upgrades you guys have done?

I just bought a new nitro slash. What are some upgrades to consider? I just can't leave it stock XD

RC poster
    Too bad no one has responded to this thread. I too am new to the R/C Nitro community and it would be great to hear some ideas of upgrades for beginners such as myself. I hear few people tell me to upgrade my servos. Your thoughts and would brand should I go with. I have a Nitro Slash 2WD.

Thanks!

RC poster
    Usually Radio and servos are a great way to upgrade your RC, depends if your racing or bashing. When I was racing I loved Hi Tech servos and JR Spektrum radios and will probably go that route once I receive my slashes. Tires look like ok for bashing but need a softer tire for racing and better handling, proline or J concepts have better tires and will drive better just with new tires.

RC poster
    Awesome! thanks for the advice, bud.

RC poster
    No problem, I hope to receive my 2 slashes tomorrow and start the break in process, can't wait to start playing with the set ups.

RC Enthusiast
    I replaced my castor blocks, front bulkhead, bell crank, front shock tower, stub shaft carriers, and steering blocks with aluminum after market parts. It seems to hold up to the wrecks a lot better. I am upgrading to aluminum control arms very soon too.

RC Enthusiast
    Tires! One of the best upgrades you can do IMHO.
    Nitro Slash 3.3

RC poster
    So i hear the Servos aren't waterproof on the slash? Im getting one after christmas and wanna upgrade those. Any suggestions for waterproof ones that aren't too expensive?

RC poster
    My Slash thought it could take on a mailbox so I went ahead and upgraded to aluminum castor blocks... now I'm thinking about getting some new tires...

RC Champion
    My first suggestion. The rear shock tower. Get and RPM one for the N,Rustler. It is the same. Easier to just give you a list of upgrades in order of what I would do.

(1)Rear Shock Tower. RPM (might as well get the front shock tower too.
    (2)Tires. Badlands for loose track. Goosebumps for hard to medium tracks. G-Locs for the street. Get E-Rustler fronts for all 4. Same as all 4 for the 4x4 pede. makes rear of truck a little wider.
    (3)Castor, Steering Blocks, Bearing Carriers, Front and Rear Bulkheads, and Rear A arm supports. ALL Aluminum.
    (4) Servos. 2075's are great. Waterproof and provide more than enough torque.
    (5) Drive Axles. Look for steel telescopic cvd's. Rears for the XO-1 will work. Real nice too.
    (6) THS Pipe. Jato and N.Rustler pipes both will work. Jato pipe gives better top end. N.Rustler pipe gives better bottom end.

That is the mods I have done. And then some. My car is not a N.Slash but it specs out the same. I built it before the N.Slash was released. It basically an extended chassis N rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerman View Post

(5) Drive Axles. Look for steel telescopic cvd's. Rears for the XO-1 will work. Real nice too.
    The XO-1 CV axles are nice, but need to note that they use a 6mm stub axle while the Nitro Slash uses a 5mm axle.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TireSlinger View Post
    The XO-1 CV axles are nice, but need to note that they use a 6mm stub axle while the Nitro Slash uses a 5mm axle.
    I see they now sell them for the Slash, Rustler, Stampede, Etc.
    I am personally not using them. But they do look nice.
    Changing rear bearings and hubs to allow for 6mm axles is no big deal. Techno makes a kit. Just Saying!!

RC poster
    nice truck, what all did you have to do to put on that os engine?

The .21TM is designed to fit where the 3.3 fits.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    I've done a few upgrades to my slash. Definitely need to go ahead and get aluminum castor blocks, and steering blocks, and you'll be very surprised at the resilience that they have. Go ahead and buy a few suspension pin sets because they don't last very long. Ive also ditched the ultrashocks for big bores, it takes hard landings a lot better now, and new tires all the way around. But you really don't need a whole lot of upgrades to make this truck nasty.... its already to nasty for its own good, and its tougher than nails. my truck has received and lot more than its fair share of hard and uneven landings. even landing on the roof of the truck a few times. It amazes me when it takes a bad landing and you hit the throttle and your truck takes back off again. You will find yourself asking why did my truck not just blow into a thousand pieces.