RC poster

My first slash!!!

I got my first traxxas slash two days ago and I love it! me and my dad might go try it out this weekend at a local R/C track!

RC Enthusiast
    Your Dad is awesome!!!! Mom too!!!
    Will-
    SEMPER FI!!!!

RC poster
    You are my dad you fart.

RC Enthusiast
    Really!!!!
    Will-
    SEMPER FI!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Slashes are a lot of fun man, I have drove them but havn't got one yet but its on my list of RC wants lol... Welcome to the Forums NijaSB have a ? just ask someone will be more then glad to help ...be sure to post a picture in the slash forum of your first rc ride!!

Thats just funny stuff.... dad you rock admit it Nija he got you a slash suck up a little might score some RPM parts
    Last edited by Timber211; 06-27-2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: adding comment
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Qualifier
    Slash's are one of the best rc's I am 16 and i have two of them. An 2wd and an 4wd and they are both very fun!! Enjoy and welcome to the forums!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceroad2 View Post
    Slash's are one of the best rc's I am 16 and i have two of them. An 2wd and an 4wd and they are both very fun!! Enjoy and welcome to the forums!!
    Totally agree
    I love my slash I got it for my 12th birthday 2 years ago
    Since then I've learned a lot in this hobby!
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Got my first one recently, I definitely love it . Took it off a steep bank at my house on my first run and its the sweetest thing to catch some air on that bank than my other two traxxas r/cs. I might get the 4x4 one next year.
    Did you say Traxxas?

Yes with or without lipos.

RC Champion
    I've had rc cars etc for a very long time, but didn't get a Slash until my 66th birthday 3 years ago.... So old guys have fun too... LOL

Welcome to the forum young man!
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    I just got my first Slash today, I have had my crawler for about 6 months but i have been eyeing the Slash since then. I LOVE it, it seems to take a pretty good beating too.

RC Champion
    I got my first rc 8 years ago when I was seven, traxxas stampede 2wd and let me tell you, it never gets old, it may go cold for a couple of months but like me, you will never be able to walk away from it. I got my first slash about 2 years ago and loved it, I know you will too.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

Welcome,hope you and Dad have a lot of fun.
    My slash trucks are my favorite,I have a few different brands and they all have a purpose,but for some reason the slash is the one I always fine myself upgrading and changing around.
    Maybe this is because you can do so much with them.
    On the track their not the fastest,but usually always make it to the end,and with a good driver they can compete.
    But when it comes to strength and durability,the slash stands alone at the end of the day.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Competitor
    love my slash too and only ran it once or twice thing is awsome

Make sure you are cleaning the motor and oiling the bushings regularly.

Sent from my Super-Kindle
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    I have the VXL Slash, one thing is for sure, I do not regret it. Fast, reliable, and upgrades are plentiful.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC poster
    Hi all - figured I would just add to this thread rather than start a new one. I just bought my son a 2wd slash and he will be getting it next week for his birthday. I think he knows he is getting it, but I think he will still be surprised. I figured I would go ahead and buy myself one too...you know...who wants to drive/race alone?? My wife just rolls her eyes haha. The last car I had was a Grasshopper - so I have been out of RC a VERY long time and all my son has owed is those New Bright ones from TRU.

I have been reading the threads - I see many many upgrades you all have done. So I will probably begin asking questions as I learn more and he learns more. Thanks for all the useful information out here.

RC Qualifier
    When I first started I figured I wouldn't replace anything until broke haha then when I started breaking stuff and had to drive to the hobbyshop and hope they have the part it's just a time killer etc., if I were you before you and your son go on that first bash session I'd pick up a few common spares that are likely to break, rpm a-arms, trx or strc aluminum casters and rear hub/bearing carriers, front rpm hub/carriers, strc or proline hinge pins "I guarantee after the first run you'll have bent stock hinge pins, no obviously I'm not saying go buy all that at once haha unless you want to but just giving you an idea of common things that break, if anyone has any add ons to the list of common things then fell free to list what I missed but I found these the most common for me

a-arms
    I have been very lucky in this area.
    I broke one set of control arms when I caught an airport hanger door at 72mph,think I had that one coming.
    Since then I have never lost another one,stock,rpm,or pro line.

RC Qualifier
    We have had more fun with our Slashes than any other RC ever! All y'all are gonna have a blast!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by NijaSB View Post
    I got my first traxxas slash two days ago and I love it! me and my dad might go try it out this weekend at a local R/C track!
    Did you get the brushed or the brushless one. Welcome to the forums.

RC Enthusiast
    Welcome to the forums and the addiction that is the Traxxas Slash! They are a great RC and a lot of fun! I've had mine for over a year and have not broken a single part!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill6680 View Post
    Welcome to the forums and the addiction that is the Traxxas Slash! They are a great RC and a lot of fun! I've had mine for over a year and have not broken a single part!
    Holy smoke conflagrations,,I have four and dont think there are many parts I haven't broke.
    How much,and how do you use yours.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Holy smoke conflagrations,,I have four and dont think there are many parts I haven't broke.
    How much,and how do you use yours.
    I've done the same!
    Brushed motor explains it all

Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    I've done the same!
    Brushed motor explains it all
    If you mean brushed motors arent powerful enough,I would have to disagree.
    This is not to say brush less is not the better way to go,however there are some very impressive brushed motors out there.
    In fact more power then the velineon and very capable.
    But I would have to concur that the titan is not one of them.

RC poster
    Billy-bones...any recommended Brushed motors - I am not ready to put down the $100 or so to go Brushless x2 cars just yet, so if the titan goes, I will grab another brushed I am guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone2004 View Post
    Billy-bones...any recommended Brushed motors - I am not ready to put down the $100 or so to go Brushless x2 cars just yet, so if the titan goes, I will grab another brushed I am guessing.
    Here are a few ideas,but some years back I ran a Trinity monster motor,and it was quite impressive.
    There was also a p94 and a d5 that are said to keep up with the velinen on a track.
    http://compare.ebay.com/like/300929154405

Here's a thread about the monster retro series,a 13t motor.
    Many but not all of these can still be purchased.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...Mash-13T-motor

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    If you mean brushed motors arent powerful enough,I would have to disagree.
    This is not to say brush less is not the better way to go,however there are some very impressive brushed motors out there.
    In fact more power then the velineon and very capable.
    But I would have to concur that the titan is not one of them.

I meant the stock Titan

RC poster
    OK - so I could not wait any longer and we gave my son his Slash (and me mine) early. We took them out on Sunday. Wow. I think our faces still hurt from smiling the whole time. I see things have come a loooong way since my old Grasshopper back in the 80's!! Man, we had a great time yesterday. Where we live is near a new development of homes and they have cleared a lot of the area for future homes - so it is all clay dirt and relatively smooth, mostly flat surface, but with enough looseness that donuts and roosts can happen anywhere...random piles of gravel are all around, so nice jumps to be had as well.

It started out on a sour note though with the the two extra batteries I bought - I put them on the Duratrax 245 charger I bought and pretty quickly it chirped and said END - so we figured maybe they came charged. I also charged the batteries that come with the Slash - figuring they are not great since they were "free", but good to have to keep the fun going. They took a good 45-60 mins to charge.

We put in the seperately purchased batteries first and literally within a couple minutes they were completely dead - in BOTH our trucks...so at least I knew it probably was not the truck since it happened to both of us. Feeling like a fool in front of my son after talking up these trucks for so long, we put in the batteries that came with the trucks next. Luckily those batteries not only worked great - we ran on them for a good 45 minutes of fun! A few wrecks, but not too bad. My son did go pretty much head-on by mistake into the belgium block that lines the paved part of the new streets in the area. I later see it looks like the front tie-rod (I think that is what it is - part#2632 I think?) broke on his, but other than that they came through unscathed. Tough trucks. I was impressed with the speed and acceleration from the stock brushed motor - can only imagine with 2S Lipo and a future brushless.

I re-charged one of the batteries I had the problem with and this time it took a full hour and I watched it charge - clicking the data button and watched its progress...it went to full (I think it is a 4600 mAh battery). I put it in the truck and it was late so I just spun the tires for a bit and it seems to be working..I will give it a longer run tonight to see if it dies again like before. They came from Tower Hobbies so I do not think I bought junk..hopefully I just messed up charging - even though the charger said it was done. We'll see. Anyway - long post, sorry - really enjoyed the trucks and thanks to all of you who post your info, advice and pics out here that got me back into the hobby and now my son. Love it so far and for 100% stock - I was really really pleased. It made for a great afternoon.

RC Champion
    Nice to hear you and your boy had a good time...

Hard to go wrong with a Traxxas Slash!
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis