Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: MIP Clutch?

  1. #1
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wolfslash16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riverton Utah
    Posts
    4,419

    MIP Clutch?

    Hey guys, I was wonder what are your thoughts on the MIP clutch. My stock clutch is worn out, and I was wondering if this would be a good replacement. Is it worth the money, and is it any better than the stock clutch? How long does it last? Pros/cons? Also, what hole should I mount it in, the inner, or outer hole? Sorry about all the questions, I just want to make sure before I buy it. Thanks! Here is the clutch I'm talking about.
    http://www.rcplanet.com/MIP_Clutch_K..._p/mip1602.htm
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 06-27-2013 at 06:03 PM.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wolfslash16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riverton Utah
    Posts
    4,419
    Anyone?
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

  3. #3
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Putting the wet stuff on the hot stuff
    Posts
    9,847
    Nitronaught raves about it in the T-Maxx forum so it must be good.
    The Super Derecho

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    naptown
    Posts
    589
    I currently am running this in my slayer pro and also in my friends tmaxx 3.3. If I remember I'm going on my second season now with this clutch and love it. I'd have to check but I'm sure I installed it so it'd hit quicker/harder. They do also offer a small package with extra clutch springs too. I was going to switch to a buku clutch, but I don't race and the MIP clutch has been doing a great job!

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Nitronaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    18,588
    I've been racing with the MIP 2 shoe clutch on my RC's since 2005, bashing since 2004... You can't beat it for the price!!

    Trick with any 2 shoe clutch... The spring.. Unwind it a little so the 2 ends will want to weave into themselves...

    Then placement,,,,, crucial!!! Place the connecting point of the spring in the middle of one of the shoes, it will get the least amount of stress in this location...

    Lastly double check placement... Look face on towards the shoes, you should not be able to see the spring in the groove, if you can it probably will rub against the CB and you will be replacing that spring in a short time...

    They grab great, you can set the shoes to engage regularly or at a higher rpm which is what I prefer. At the higher RPM engagement is more positive and there's a nice hole shot you get off the line....

    The clutches also hold up longer than the stock 2 shoe.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wolfslash16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riverton Utah
    Posts
    4,419
    Ok, thanks guys! Hey Nitronaught, I've got some questions... what hole should I mount the clutch? The inner, or the outer? I'm not sure what the difference is. Also, do you have a picture showing what your talking about with the spring? I'm a little confused. Thanks!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. CarGuy7a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gettin' Lucky In KY
    Posts
    3,882
    The spring in the MIP clutch is much better than the stock spring. I ran my for a long time hooked normally without any problems whatsoever. I ran mine in the outer holes with the shoes in the leading position.

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Attica,IN
    Posts
    190
    Nitronaught are you using small needle nose to conect the spring, or connect it and slip it over the clutch?
    T-MAXX 2.5R
    Slayer Pro
    Revo
    Monster Pirate

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Nitronaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    18,588
    I unwind the spring to create enough tension for it to wind into itself when you put the two ends together. Then I place the connecting point in the middle of on of the shoes and basically roll it onto the shoes and into the groove.

    Works every time

    Hey Wolf, the outer most holes will make the clutch engage at a higher rpm and a lot more positive engagement... I use them and I do not reverse the trailing edges, grabs good.

    And any time I take my CB off, it sand down the glazing on the shoe with some 1000 grit wet sandpaper.....
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 07-31-2013 at 11:48 AM.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. CarGuy7a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gettin' Lucky In KY
    Posts
    3,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Hey Wolf, the outer most holes will make the clutch engage at a higher rpm and a lot more positive engagement... I use them and I do not reverse the trailing edges, grabs good.
    Actually that's backwards. The inner holes will increase rpm's before clutch engagement but it won't engage as hard. Outer holes engage harder at a lower rpm.

    http://www.miponline.com/store/media...tch-01-366.jpg

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Nitronaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    18,588
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a View Post
    Actually that's backwards. The inner holes will increase rpm's before clutch engagement but it won't engage as hard. Outer holes engage harder at a lower rpm.

    http://www.miponline.com/store/media...tch-01-366.jpg
    Nope, your reading it wrong....

    Think of it like a lever. The weight of the shoe and centrifical force is what causes them to open. IF it is on the outer most hole it takes more centrifical force to move the shoe to engage with the spring on.
    Since there are higher RPMS when the shoe engages it engages more positively....

    They make the instructions say the first set of holes is for the heavy clutch, second set is for the lighter setting.

    The first set of holes are the ones closest to the outside. Ask Peter at MIP if you doubt.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. CarGuy7a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gettin' Lucky In KY
    Posts
    3,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Nope, your reading it wrong....

    Think of it like a lever. The weight of the shoe and centrifical force is what causes them to open. IF it is on the outer most hole it takes more centrifical force to move the shoe to engage with the spring on.
    Since there are higher RPMS when the shoe engages it engages more positively....

    They make the instructions say the first set of holes is for the heavy clutch, second set is for the lighter setting.

    The first set of holes are the ones closest to the outside. Ask Peter at MIP if you doubt.
    I know how the centrifugal force works. I've raced go carts for 10+ years and we used identical shoe clutch setups. The way the instructions read are correct. The hole closest to the center of the shoe will require more RPM to sling out the lighter portion of the shoe. Essentially it's changing the pivot point of the shoe. The more towards the center of the shoe the mounting point is the higher the RPM needed to engage it and vice versa. The dark dot on the instruction sheet is where the pin is placed in the shoe. The outer most hole will require less RPM to engage it because the shoe portion will be heavier. Example, cut a shoe in half at the outer hole and weigh the larger portion, now do the same with a shoe cutting it at the inner hole and weigh it and you'll notice it's much lighter. Given the same spring strength, it will take more inertia to sling out that lighter piece than it will the larger piece.

    I don't doubt this because I've done it a thousand times in the past. We use to use mounting positions and various strength springs (which we don't have on the MIP clutch) to make the clutch "engage and stall" the way we wanted.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 08-02-2013 at 12:04 AM.

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Nitronaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    18,588
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a View Post
    I know how the centrifugal force works. I've raced go carts for 10+ years and we used identical shoe clutch setups. The way the instructions read are correct. The hole closest to the center of the shoe will require more RPM to sling out the lighter portion of the shoe. Essentially it's changing the pivot point of the shoe. The more towards the center of the shoe the mounting point is the higher the RPM needed to engage it and vice versa. The dark dot on the instruction sheet is where the pin is placed in the shoe. The outer most hole will require less RPM to engage it because the shoe portion will be heavier. Example, cut a shoe in half at the outer hole and weigh the larger portion, now do the same with a shoe cutting it at the inner hole and weigh it and you'll notice it's much lighter. Given the same spring strength, it will take more inertia to sling out that lighter piece than it will the larger piece.

    I don't doubt this because I've done it a thousand times in the past. We use to use mounting positions and various strength springs (which we don't have on the MIP clutch) to make the clutch "engage and stall" the way we wanted.
    Sorry for my delay in response, but I just wanted to verify things w/MIP.. Their response took almost a week...

    I too am well aware of clutches and have been dealing with them since I was 12. The type for clutch, how the springs are set, wet clutches... Kinda got me a bit off canter there...

    I'm not too big to admit when I'm wrong, but you are 100% correct according to this email I just got from MIP support

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt from MIP racing support
    , Sorry for the long delay on your question. If you use the holes closest to the edge of the part the clutch will engage at a lower rpm. We like this setting for long or "open" tracks. The holes that are furthest from the edge will engage at a higher rpm giving the vehicle more"snap" on the bottom end. We use this setting for small or "tight" tracks. Hope this helps and again I apologize for getting back to you so late.

    On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 11:48 AM,
    MIP Clutch Kit, Traxxas Revo #1602


    I have this kit and the instructions doesn’t seem to be very clear as to which set of holes are referred to as set 1 and which ones are referred to as set 2. IT is my understanding the hole closest to the edge is the one used for a higher RPM engagement, the hole closer to the center of the shoe is used for an earlier rpm engagement…. Is this correct?

    Thanks in Advance.
    It is the very inside hole for higher RPM engagement. I apologize for the misunderstanding on my part, but I can assure you I was speaking from a previous email I wish I could have dug up from MIP.

    I also did a test with a CB on this weekend tried the 2 different holes. The engagement will happen at a higher rpm on those inside holes, and they will give a good snap when they engage....

    I've often shortened the spring a little, not much to help with a later engagement...
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 08-14-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

  14. #14
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    126
    I have used the MIP clutch on my nitro stampede and nitro RS4. I've never had any problems with them and they've lasted about 3-4years each.

  15. #15
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. CarGuy7a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gettin' Lucky In KY
    Posts
    3,882
    It would be cool if they would offer some different tension springs to further add the tuning of this clutch. I know you can flip the shoes into a leading position and it will offer 2 more adjustments totaling 4. 2 following and 2 leading. I always just ran mine in the outer holes. I never did use the inner holes. I'm half tempted to slap that MIP clutch back in and try it. I currently run the M2C racing 3 shoe aluminum clutch.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •