RC poster

Traxxas Villian Lipo Conversion

Hello, i just got a villian ex and have been thinking about seting it up to run 2 2s lipo batteries. I am looking for increased runtime more than power increases. right now i use 2 venum 3600 nimh batteries and i only get 10-15 minutes. I have been searching and searching for some instructions on how to do this correctly. I have purchased a(1) Novac 2s low voltage cuttoff module, but an uncertin how to install it. This model is the 14.4 V with dual batteries and only one esc. I have been on forums that say you need 2 of them, and i have been on other forums that say one is ample. can anyone tell me how to do this correctly so i can rest easy knowing that i wont wreck 2 $65 batteries?

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks.

RC Champion
    the batteries are going to be wired the same.. Not sure of the lipo cuttoff module.. I am not a fan of them in a boat or worse in helicopter which I fly as well.. When they cut off, they stop.. Hope you like to swim. A better solution is a visual lipo battery monitor.. I run these on my Villain and they are lit blue with good voltage and will blink red when the battery gets lower and go to solid red when the battery is around 3.3 volts.. you only need one on the balance lead of one battery. I've run these for a long while and never had a problem.. Just out of curiosity, what is the Mah rating of your lipo's? You want at least 5000mah and if possible higher.. Brushed motors are not very efficient and run times suffer.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC poster
    Well that makes since to me. Can you attach a link? all i can find are the ones you plug into the battery to check.

How long do you think the 2s's would run the boat? should i think about doing the water cooling for the added run time? How hot is 2 hot for those motors (stock 550's) Sorry for all the questions i just want to make sure that i keep it running.

Thanks
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-10-2014 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Removed link to banned products.

RC Champion
    here is the kind I run.. Not sure if the brand is the same, but they all work the same.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Ship-Hob...item416aee676e

I don't know anything about those batteries, they are cheap enough, but you can get better batteries for alot less than that. I won't spend more than $35 for a set of 2S lipo's.. especially in a non racing boat. Water cooling won't really increase your run time, but it will allow you to run longer without cooking the motors.. How hot is too hot? Brushed motors can run hotter than Brushless, but to a point. If you have a temp gun see what it says.. If not, can you hold your finger on the motor for more than 3-4 seconds.. If not you are getting hot.. Temp guns are the preferred method.. I would try and keep brushed motors under 200 degrees.. brushless must be under 180 degrees... Water cooling is easy to do, traxxas even makes a nice little kit complete with everything you need for the job.. I build my own, but its not really that much different.

RC poster
    Thanks for all of your help. What batteries do you recomend? got a link for the ones you are talking about?

Thanks again!

RC Champion
    Due to forum regulations I can't post a link to the batteries that I love to run. There are many out there that work fine and the cost is reasonable. SPC comes to mind as well as a few others.

RC poster
    Back again with Questions. I have been running my stock ex with 2, 2s 5000 venum lipos with a low voltage alarm on one battery. seems to work very well. i have 14t spur geers on the stock 550 motors. I ordered some 12t gears and the motor water cooling kit. getting the water tight box in and out is a pain, ended up breaking one of the steering line grommets. those are on the way too. come to find out the stock cooling was not working as there was a tiny rock stuck in the hose 1/2 way to the esc, but i have never had a heat issue that i know of, have stoped and checked on multiple occasions.

questions. the 14t spur gears, the temps is running cool on both the esc and motors, have never had an issue. will the 12t gears heat them up that much more?
    are the metal props that some sites sell a significant improvement? is it really worth the $$$ when replacement props are $5 or less?

Thanks in advance.

RC Champion
    You should be able to get a bit more speed out of the 12T than the 14T and the difference on the motors shouldn't be an issue. just keep an eye on the heat. I don't run the stock props and haven't for many years. I run carbon props that are modified Octura brands sized just for the boat but they are expensive as well. the metal props are great as well due to the lack of flex, but its not an issue with the brushed motors. My carbon fiber props don't flex, but I can't find them anymore.

RC poster
    Now im confused, i thought the 12 t would be more top speed also. But after thinking about it, the biger the spur gear on the motor, the faster the driven gear will be spinning. so it would seem that the 14t would be more top speed than the 12T. did i just waste $10?

how do you see that going down cenracer1? again, appreciate your quick responses!

RC Qualifier
    You are correct but the load on the motor matters also so you could get more speed with the 12t. It is trial and error when you get close . Water conditions (and prop) effect it also. The 1:1 race boats change props depending on conditions and race course. Don

Dropping two teeth from the pinion gears will reduce motor and ESC temps, but it won't speed the boat up.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    I just re read what I wrote. At work and the phone was ringing off the hook. I wasn't thinking about the stock prop that you are using. I run larger props and they have to be geared down for more speed. Running the 14t would make my boat much slower as any motor just cant turn the prop as efficiently. Of course their are exception with this as pitch and size of the prop have to be calculated to get the max rpms that the prop can handle. Over spin a prop and see what I mean. lots of bubble and noise and not a lot of go...

RC poster
    Thanks for the feedback guys, i did order the props set form OSE http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...aded+rtr+props. I will start with the 12t, and go from there.

The Cap nuts that came with it seem like they are subject to rattle loose, i used a liberal amout of thredlocker (271) on them, do you think they will rattle loose? should i just put nylock nuts on? The caps look so good though, but i would rather not loose my new prop(s).

Also, has anyone put some trim tabs on their villain? any feedback there would also be appreciated. thanks again!

RC Champion
    Same props except mine are carbon Octura's.. those are aluminum. I haven't had any issue with the nuts coming loose or falling off. mine have a small rubber O ring that keeps tension on them, these don't but I don't think its a problem.

As for trim tabs, I run them on mine for several reasons. Lighter lipo's make the front end want to ride high in the water. Brushless motors have more power along with the larger props make the boat want to wheelie as well. The Tabs keep the front end down and really help with the stability. Mine are adjustable type with a small strut that I can change around but honestly once I found the sweet spot, I haven't touched it in two years. You can make simple ones from sheet aluminum. One thing to consider if buying some, the transom isn't very wide and with the twin drives there is not a lot of room for them. Mine are only 1 1/4 inches wide. I had to cut them down from 2 inches and also take some off the top due to the low overhang in the rear. A lot of work but worth it.

RC poster
    Thanks for the info cenracer1. Any chance you can post a pic of your trimtabs? I got some stock spartan ones for free, i was hoping that i could make those work. i would like to know where you put them. thanks.

RC Champion
    Can't get pics up for a while as my boat is in Martha's Vineyard, Ma but I'm in NJ... I left it at my inlaws and won't see it until late July. You can use the Spartan Tabs, but they will have to be cut down to fit. mine are mounted from the edges of the prop shaft to just about the end of the transom(left and right sides) . They will have to be tweaked, but they should fit. I got mine from offshore electrics and I asked Dave? (owner) What he recommended.. They sit on an angle that follows the flow of the boat. I know they can be mounted flat, but this was easier and works just fine.

RC poster
    Well, I gave it a shot last night, had to grind the corner away on the stock spartan tabs, got it as close as i could to mirror the boat lines. im hoping it will work well. looks good though.

Now i will put the cooling on and go play!

RC poster
    Got the cooling put on. Kept the 14t spur gears on for now. Time to go shake it down.

RC Champion
    came out great.. I hope you ran some sealant behind the tabs and sealed the screw holes. Water finds a way of getting into the strangest places and the double hull makes it impossible to remove. Looks very similar to how mine came out. You should be able to bend the tabs for tuning purposes.

RC poster
    Well, had it out on the water during this holiday weekend. Put 6 ot 7 runs on it. Worked great! Even in the rough water, the bow was noticably more stable than before. the lipo battery and Prop combo make the boat capible of jumping out of the water if you want to. I will say that the counter rotating props make this thing super stable in the rough, the boat was catching air on some of the waves and took it like a champ! I feel i have reached the limit for this hull. Any faster would be just too much for it. Had no heat issues at all either. The hightest temp i read all weekend was the esc at 130 degrees f.

Yeah, i used some 3m all weather adheive on the backside of the holes before i tigntened the nuts down. that stuff is amazing, i use it for everything. As for the double hull, mine has drain holes right under the corner of the windsheld. with the cover off, i can hold it upside down to get what ever water that was in the hull out. By the 3rd day, my steering servo had enough and no longer had enough power to turn the outdrives. So i will be ordering one of those soon. any suggestions? I see traxxas has a waterproof one. does it work well?

Man i love this thing, so much fun! Now i just need a bigger real boat so i dont have to keep steping over/around it all the time.

RC Racer
    Any servo should work as long as it mounts, the Traxxas 2056, or 2075 servo would be a good upgrade, they're both waterproof.

2056:http://traxxas.com/products/parts/servos/2056

2075:http://traxxas.com/products/parts/servos/2075

Nice looking boat!
    Last edited by Devon_4; 07-08-2014 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Typo
    If Dust Aint' Flyin', You Aint' Tryin'!

RC Champion
    Traxxas 2075 is the best bet if you are going to run Traxxas.. Its just a good inexpensive digital servo that happens to be waterproof. I run a Hitec waterproof servo that's not digital, but only because I had them laying around. 2056 IMO isn't strong enough to hold the faster boat in the turns for the long haul. Glad you are enjoying your boat. My wife is heading to Martha's Vineyard this weekend and hopefully she will bring mine back with here so I can run it again. The season doesn't last forever.

RC Champion
    The traxxas 2075 is a good servo. Very good looking boat btw! I wish I could've found another boat similar for my brother as I am building a spartan jet boat.
    Revo 2.5 upgraded to 3.3.

RC poster
    Thanks for the info guys. I will see what i can come up with on ebay tonight.