Thread: Engine upgrade

RC Enthusiast

Engine upgrade

Okay So I have decide I am done with the trx 3.3 stock engine on my revo, I need some opinions who have had both a picco .26 max and an o.s. .21 engines right now my problem with my 3.3 is it can't hold a tune so I would like to know which one holds the best tune and is more reliable and won't give me near as much
    Problems as the stock engine any editionial details about both engines pros and cons would be fantastic too
    Thank you in advance for the replies. God bless.

RC Qualifier
    Save your money and get a losi 3.4 carb, it will make the 3.3 perform like it should.

RC Racer
    I went with the dynamite .19 cause it was cheap.. Ran really good never needed to be tuned. Then i traded the truck for a baja. But had i not, I'd be completely happy with it. That 3.3 is the worst engine I've ever owned. I can tune a engine been doing it since I was a kid.. Never seen an engine that's such a headache, esp today. 2 strokes are a simple design. Traxxas definitely found a way to over complicate something for no reason.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    Save your money and get a losi 3.4 carb, it will make the 3.3 perform like it should.
    its 40$ on ebay i see, Losi Carburetor: 3.4, LOSR2123?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I went with the dynamite .19 cause it was cheap.. Ran really good never needed to be tuned. Then i traded the truck for a baja. But had i not, I'd be completely happy with it. That 3.3 is the worst engine I've ever owned. I can tune a engine been doing it since I was a kid.. Never seen an engine that's such a headache, esp today. 2 strokes are a simple design. Traxxas definitely found a way to over complicate something for no reason.

Yes, every word you just said i 100% agree with you but i dont think they make it complicated accidentially, they like money and know how to make everything they make complicated so they do that to get even more doe.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Yzrider06 View Post
    Okay So I have decide I am done with the trx 3.3 stock engine on my revo, I need some opinions who have had both a picco .26 max and an o.s. .21 engines right now my problem with my 3.3 is it can't hold a tune so I would like to know which one holds the best tune and is more reliable and won't give me near as much
    Problems as the stock engine any editionial details about both engines pros and cons would be fantastic too
    Thank you in advance for the replies. God bless.
    I have picco .26 max and the power and speed difference from the 3.3 is crazy! Only problem is the carb is very finicky. It took me about 2hrs to get the carb to be able to open and close completely. Now I know y everyone says picco carbs are junk, but the motor is fantastic. I broke it in per instruction, break in was a breeze, and the motor holds a tune and I only have to turn 1/8 hsn every once in awhile. Takes awhile to heat up to temperature which I found out, so when tuning make sure u get up to temp first. OS is overall great motor minus the price. I had one in my jato broke in per instruction, hardly ever tuned it, no carb problems, no mods to make it fit, excellent for racing. If u like to just bash or race get the OS. If you don't mind doing some mods or adjustments and want power and speed go picco max. My next motor will be LRP .28. Same price as picco but better carb, and amore power. And if u get picco get trx bb kit., ofna mount stinks, strips out like crazy. If Broken in correctly both motors u like will hold a tune well but OS is very very forgiving.
    Last edited by Revoreese; 06-29-2013 at 04:18 PM.

RC Racer
    I was gonna dump crazy money into the revo but i decided to go cheap with it with the .19 because I knew anything besides the 3.3 had to be less of a headache. I am putting an sh into my tmaxx cause I can't stand the traxxas engines. Its cheap i already own it, and it works 100% of the time.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoreese View Post
    I have picco .26 max and the power and speed difference from the 3.3 is crazy! Only problem is the carb is very finicky. It took me about 2hrs to get the carb to be able to open and close completely. Now I know y everyone says picco carbs are junk, but the motor is fantastic. I broke it in per instruction, break in was a breeze, and the motor holds a tune and I only have to turn 1/8 hsn every once in awhile. Takes awhile to heat up to temperature which I found out, so when tuning make sure u get up to temp first. OS is overall great motor minus the price. I had one in my jato broke in per instruction, hardly ever tuned it, no carb problems, no mods to make it fit, excellent for racing. If u like to just bash or race get the OS. If you don't mind doing some mods or adjustments and want power and speed go picco max. My next motor will be LRP .28. Same price as picco but better carb, and amore power. And if u get picco get trx bb kit., ofna mount stinks, strips out like crazy. If Broken in correctly both motors u like will hold a tune well but OS is very very forgiving.
    Well now that you mention a different motor than the picco i kind of would rather have the best one so i dont have to replace it for a long time, i plan on selling my revo by the end of august because i am ready for a bigger ride and need a way to school other than a bike i want to get the most amount of money i can but spend very little i plan on putting alot of money into this truck because just a few minutes ago i figured out my engine header had been snapped in half, so If the LRP .28 can hold a tune better than the picco for the same price then i would much rather have the LRP or i was thinking about the losi 3.4 carb for my 3.3 and is there a better tune pipe than the stock one?

RC Racer
    No, my picco holds a tune well, I mean the lrp carb is a lot better in the sense of setting up throttle linkage and throttle carb. The picco carb has to be turned in an angle in order to have the carb throttle open and close completely. If this angle is not near perfect it will not work. when installing i had to remove the motor numerous times adjusting the carb position. it took hours lol. Many people experience this with the piccos, but after gettin it right it is a great motor. There are a lot of threads about carb binding on piccos, and people take the carbs apart and do mods to it. I'm just saying on my next motor I don't want to deal with it and want even more overkill lol. Get a big block pipe too if u get picco or some big block. I have THS exhaust, it's good but it restricts the power bc it's not a big block exhaust.

RC Champion
    i plan on selling my revo by the end of august
    If you plan on selling it, in roughly 60 days, don't waste your money on a new engine.
    Believe 1/2 of what you see,and 0 of what you hear

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Oomp View Post
    If you plan on selling it, in roughly 60 days, don't waste your money on a new engine.
    well it depends on how everything goes with this new stuff, im not going to be buying an engine i think i will just buy that Losi 3.4 carb for 35$ i just want the most money i can get out of it because there is nothing wrong with it EXTREMELY well taken care of i just run it really hard to break stuff but i always replace with the upgrade.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoreese View Post
    No, my picco holds a tune well, I mean the lrp carb is a lot better in the sense of setting up throttle linkage and throttle carb. The picco carb has to be turned in an angle in order to have the carb throttle open and close completely. If this angle is not near perfect it will not work. when installing i had to remove the motor numerous times adjusting the carb position. it took hours lol. Many people experience this with the piccos, but after gettin it right it is a great motor. There are a lot of threads about carb binding on piccos, and people take the carbs apart and do mods to it. I'm just saying on my next motor I don't want to deal with it and want even more overkill lol. Get a big block pipe too if u get picco or some big block. I have THS exhaust, it's good but it restricts the power bc it's not a big block exhaust.
    I think i'm just going to try the Losi 3.4 carb and see how that goes if all is good no problems then i will sell unless i really need the money, its a fun toy when it runs though, but im sick of spending 3-4 hours every day trying to get it to hold a tune.

RC Qualifier
    If it will start and run good until it warms up, then won't hardly idle or run. You need a new piston and sleeve and the Losi carb won't help any. If it still has good compression and your tuning skills are decent, the Losi carb is the best upgrade you can buy for the 3.3. My Slayer had the worst 3.3 to tune that I have until I installed one of those carbs, now it's the easiest. Not only is it the smoothest running and most powerful 3.3 I have now. I don't have to touch the needles unless there's more than a 20 degree temp change and even then the adjustments needed are very few and very small. I'm expecting five more any day now to go on all my other 3.3 powered trucks.

RC Racer
    ^^^^^you could ship one of those my way
    T-MAXX 2.5R
    Slayer Pro
    Revo
    Monster Pirate

RC Champion
    i just want the most money i can get out of it because there is nothing wrong with it
    That kind of helps make my point. If you spent $175 on a new engine today, installed the engine tonight, and tried to sell it tomorrow, you will take a loss. It will not raise the value of the truck $175.

If you want to get the most $ you can out of it, you don't want to spend any more $ on it at all.
    Believe 1/2 of what you see,and 0 of what you hear

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    If it will start and run good until it warms up, then won't hardly idle or run. You need a new piston and sleeve and the Losi carb won't help any. If it still has good compression and your tuning skills are decent, the Losi carb is the best upgrade you can buy for the 3.3. My Slayer had the worst 3.3 to tune that I have until I installed one of those carbs, now it's the easiest. Not only is it the smoothest running and most powerful 3.3 I have now. I don't have to touch the needles unless there's more than a 20 degree temp change and even then the adjustments needed are very few and very small. I'm expecting five more any day now to go on all my other 3.3 powered trucks.
    iv checked that already its okay.