Hybrid View

RC Racer

Figuring out a big block motor...

I've searched all over the forum here and other forums, and they all lead to new era mount which is never in stock. just trying to get a clear idea of how I could install an os 30vg, lrp .28, or picco .28 p3. If anyone has done this with the traxxas big block kit please inform me of mods necessary to make it work. I plan on using roto start. if you have done this post pics or videos and info. I googled it for pics and all I see is new era or qconcepts. I called LHS and they said there is a way to put any motor in revo (obviously), but I'm trying to see some pics and info before I order a motor.

Thanks

RC Racer
    sent you a pm

RC Racer
    I got a Revo BB with a NE mount but just blowed my motor. Im asking the forum about motors so check it out and maybe we both can find a good motor. But you are needing a mount mainly.. cant get a NE anymore not even on ebay you just have to fined someone and bribe them like I did.
    Contact me about a good working linkage if you need ok. Good luck.
    Kyosho Inferno VE Race Spec

RC Competitor
    Will the HPI 5.9 fit in the Revo?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey76 View Post
    Will the HPI 5.9 fit in the Revo?
    With a NE mount.... yep.

RC Racer
    if your looking for a great engine that performs well and dont cost large look at a force .28,best bb i own so easy to tune and will flip your revo on its lid
    als check ebay for a losi 454 which i am lead to belive is a rebadged lrp .28
    p.s dont waste your time with a 5.9,why do you think all the savy owners have lrp's......

RC Competitor
    Cool will look into those. Was really just curious if it would fit.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey76 View Post
    Cool will look into those. Was really just curious if it would fit.
    Anything will fit with a big enough hammer and some duct tape...

RC Racer
    Great info, but which will fit traxxas big block kit without moving tranny or doing some crazy mods? The motors listed on the manual that don't require extensive modding aren't made anymore or really hard to find, for example the wasp .28. Please post pics and or info if you used a traxxas big block kit to fit a true big block in your revo! I already use a trx bb kit for my picco .26maxx so just true big blocks.

Thanks!

RC Champion
    Back in the day, a forum member (Over revO) ran a Picco .28, and had good results.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...picco+.28+mike

I couldn't tell you if he had to do mods of any sort. Perhaps you could search his name further and see if he has a build thread on the forum.
    Believe 1/2 of what you see,and 0 of what you hear

RC Racer
    Yea read that thread, he was using qconcepts mount... It's seems like those who use trx big block mount dont want to share
    Called gforce hobbies and they said you could fit those motors with traxxas big block kit but to keep roto start or pullstart u have to get the aluminum rear arm. He said rd logics makes arms that clear pull or roto start. Thanks guys.

RC Champion
    The real reason people are not posting is because the large majority of Revo owners have moved on. 5 years ago you would have gotten more responses. There was a lot more traffic, in general, on this forum then.

I have had a few different vehicle platforms over the years, and the bump box is the only starting method I will ever use. When I ran a BB, I used the TRX mount.

RC Racer
    Wow. People moved on...to what other motor styles or away from the revo? I'm just looking for a super quick motor, actually would be great if I didn't even have to use the bb kit. I want something with great top end but also snappy off the line. I already own picco 26max, so I'm looking to go faster than that.

RC Champion
    People moved away from the Revo. Looking at page one of the Revo forum today, it spans 10 days. When the forum was really active, there would be 2 to 3 pages of post's in one day. You had to find the last thread you posted on, and now it is always at the top of the first page (and not because it is bumped due to people posting in it).

I find it difficult to answer your motor question. I have owned a Revo since 2005. I have run small, mid (Picco Max), and big blocks in the Revo chassis. I don't bash, only used to race, and small blocks are where it's at when we are talking Revo chassis. I can only recommend the engine I currently run, the OS 18TZ. It is the best overall engine I have run in the Revo. It is bump start only, and requires mods that you don't want to do. Outside of that engine, it is the TRX 3.3. Outside of that, it is a crap shoot.

We also run an 1/8th scale buggy. Our engine choices are many for that chassis. We run a limited edition Novarossi .21 that I like a lot. Again, bump start only. And if I wanted to put it in the Revo, it would require mods.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oomp View Post
    People moved away from the Revo. Looking at page one of the Revo forum today, it spans 10 days. When the forum was really active, there would be 2 to 3 pages of post's in one day. You had to find the last thread you posted on, and now it is always at the top of the first page (and not because it is bumped due to people posting in it.

Just in the short time ive own'd a Revo and been posting in this section seen it slow way down... was wonering why myself just the other day am I the only one in here ? I finaly got one and no one else hardly around anymore...
    Oomp has been the most helpfull of all I think.

Ive settled on the LRP Z.28 spec 3...... maybe a little much on power from what I read but hey we are shoe horning a 454 in a Vega what do we expect right ? Long evil laugh........

RC Champion
    You mentioned in another thread that you had run an OS 18TM in another vehicle. Do you still have this engine? If so, I would suggest an OS 18TZ for your Revo.

If you bought a TZ ($175), you can swap the crank with TM, and you won't have to do any other mods at all. The TZ will then bolt right in to the stock mount, use the stock clutch, and stock exhaust (but you need the TM header, or equivalent). The throttle arm from the TM would have to be used also. As you already noted, the OS engines hold a tune well. The TZ does well in the Revo chassis.

OR, if say your TM was worn out, you could put a piston and sleeve for a TZ, into the TM block, and be done.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oomp View Post
    You mentioned in another thread that you had run an OS 18TM in another vehicle. Do you still have this engine? If so, I would suggest an OS 18TZ for your Revo.

If you bought a TZ ($175), you can swap the crank with TM, and you won't have to do any other mods at all. The TZ will then bolt right in to the stock mount, use the stock clutch, and stock exhaust (but you need the TM header, or equivalent). The throttle arm from the TM would have to be used also. As you already noted, the OS engines hold a tune well. The TZ does well in the Revo chassis.

OR, if say your TM was worn out, you could put a piston and sleeve for a TZ, into the TM block, and be done.
    Thanks man for all ur knowledge. A friend of mine my be buying the roller I have.

RC Racer
    Yea I think the lrp .28 is a great choice, that will be my next motor. All I hear is great things about it, picco carb is way too finicky.

RC Qualifier
    From experience, no BB will fit using the traxxas mount and a rotostart, they wont clear the rear a-arm. The traxxas mount requires a bump box aka starter box, Ive run a lrp, os, Force and picco all with the traxxas at one point but switched to a different mount for more gearing options. I have a picco p3 in mine right now using a qoncepts kit (now thats old school, just google it) Pretty easy install if your the slightest bit mechanically inclined. I've also been on here since 2005, and its insane how slow the forums are these days. Heck, the revo racing thread hasnt been update in years, or even the winners circle for that matter.
    My Revo: OS .18TM, 16/38 gearing, wide ratio 2nd speed, futaba throttle servo, new era shock ends, FOC, Pullstart, P3 rockers, Aluminum Pushrods, Plymouth HEMI Cuda' Shell, LT springs, GTR shocks, did i mention its got a HEMI!! And a wicked fast TRX-1!! (It'll smoke the Team Associated's B4)

RC poster
    I posted a new thread on this earlier, maybe yall would have an answer....are there any BB mounts in current production that would work with an LRP .30? Does anybody have a New ERA mount they would like to sell me?