RC Champion

Why do I have to buy every model with a radio?

Traxxas since you have your 2.4Ghz Traxxas Link Tx that has memory for a bunch of models why are you forcing us to buy a new duplicate Tx that can run many models everytime I buy a new model? You guys are coming out with some great new models but I'll resign myself to having to buy them off ebay without radios if you keep forcing us to buy the same radio over and over even though the radios selling point is 1 radio that can run all your Traxxas models, well if it runs them all why do I need to collect a half dozen of them? If you're gonna force us to buy radios over and over at least make them look different so I can brag I have all of them lol
    www.thunder-roadhobbies.com
    Moline, IL

Ditto...

I bet the cool kids at Traxxas have something in the works for producing Bind-N-Drive RCs. More than likely they have their big brains squashed together trying to come up with another name for it, "Bind-N-Drive" is copywrited by Losi...

How about...
    Link-N-Race
    Link-Right
    Link-Ready
    Ready-Link
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    Give it a few years. They have to cycle their still pretty new 2.4 radios throughout the market.

RC Qualifier
    victoria BC bashing with my bud 1slash and racing with COR victoria
    you can save more money by just getting the model with the radio then selling it then if you bought it without it.
    1/16 revo
    slash 4x4
    some more but they wont fit

Quote Originally Posted by demons revo
    you can save more money by just getting the model with the radio then selling it then if you bought it without it.
    Yeah, but the issue is that we would only need the rx to bind with and don't need the extra tx and those alone don't go for much.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by slowenuff
    Give it a few years. They have to cycle their still pretty new 2.4 radios throughout the market.
    Why can't they sell both? Wouldn't be hard to stock store shelves with the standard RTR model and let us order a model with a link receiver and no radio through our lhs. If they were gonna force multiple radios on us why give us a tx that can store multiple models?
    Moline, IL

It doesn't help that Traxxas came up with it's own propritary radio system. Losi B-N-D RCs use a popular aftermarket radio system (Spektrum). Of course, it doesn't hurt that Losi and Spektrum are owned by the same company. Now there is an idea for Traxxas, come out with a really good aftermarket radio system based on it's new link system.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 10-27-2010 at 12:32 PM.

RC Champion
    Traxxas is a popular brand no doubt but I think selling both link n go, and full rtr kits will have a negative impact on Local Hobby Shops. It would mean they would have two order two versions of everything. Leaving them with less stock of each.

RC Enthusiast
    You'll still need more than one because the summit remote is different from the rustler's remote. Unless you only have one type of remote.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by slowenuff
    Traxxas is a popular brand no doubt but I think selling both link n go, and full rtr kits will have a negative impact on Local Hobby Shops. It would mean they would have two order two versions of everything. Leaving them with less stock of each.
    That's why I suggested stocking hobby shops with the RTRs and give us an option to order a truck without a radio.

In regards to the different types of radios the summit radio can run any of the Traxxas models, it's just a 4 channel link. The fact a rustler Link can't run a Summit isn't reason to not allow us to buy models without radios when the 2 channel Link runs almost every vehicle they make.
    Moline, IL

RC Qualifier
    Why not?
    Last edited by Snake eyes; 10-29-2010 at 03:21 PM.
    Speed only counts if you can make the next turn.

RC Champion
    Well since your question is so vague I'm gonna assume your asking why the typical Trx Link radio can't run a summit. Well technically they can run a Summit but they can't control the eaxtras the summit has, the locking diffs and two speed transmission. That's why the summit comes with a 4 channel link
    Moline, IL

RC Competitor
    ""Why do I have to buy every model with a radio?""

Look - it comes down to simple/basic economics.

You guys, as a group, are generally the ones that want to buy RTRs. You don't want to assemble kits, you want it ready to go out of the box. You want cheap. It's the kit-buyers, realistically, that are allowed the option of hand-picking their electronics and options. That's not YOU.
    Traxxas has made its name off the RTR market, and they make money off selling you the cheap radio that comes with each RTR - and it counteracts the expense they have to undertake for the assembly of the cars/trucks.

You're getting what you pay for, quit complaining. LOL

RC Champion
    my point still stands, why make the Traxxas Link radio an advertise how it can run multiple models if you cram radios down our throats. Sell us a model with cheaper non link radios if we can't get models without them.

Not to mention it wouldn't be too hardto give us an option to go to the Lhs and have them order a model that comes just like every other one except it doesn't have a radio and a couple bucks knocked off the price.
    Moline, IL

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Federally
    my point still stands, why make the Traxxas Link radio an advertise how it can run multiple models if you cram radios down our throats. Sell us a model with cheaper non link radios if we can't get models without them.

Not to mention it wouldn't be too hardto give us an option to go to the Lhs and have them order a model that comes just like every other one except it doesn't have a radio and a couple bucks knocked off the price.
    My point still stands - Traxxas makes money off the radio, and I guess part of the profit for that helps write off the cost of assembly.

If they had "options," it would require additonal packaging and inventory (or each model) which is cost prohibitive and thus would help drive up retail prices.

RC Qualifier
    u need to buy a radio with every model so u have an excuse to put up an extra shelf in your man cave to hold the extra radios
    erevo, ubuntu.com

RC Competitor
    Roflol ..

RC Champion
    Yeah I guess I'll be stuck buying any other Traxas models I want second hand
    Moline, IL

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars of Norway
    So, say yes to rollers
    Traxxas is in the RTR-business, not the "roller" business.

So in other words say no to Traxxas?
    The HUH? From what I see people are saying "YES" to Traxxas in massive numbers. The rest of the RC industry is struggling jut to keep up with Traxxas,,,or so it appears to me.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

So in other words say no to Traxxas?
    Ummmm.... No.

Friends, family and coworkers know I am a big RC junkie, when they come to me asking what is the best RC to start out on, I point them to Traxxas. Bang-for-the-buck, durability, and costomer service, Traxxas is very hard to beat. But, where some of us more 'seasoned' RCers get frustrated is wanting to get a new model and getting stuff we don't need, like a radio. Sorry Traxxas, the new 2.4 stuff you guys have come out with is cool, but you put it in the same clunky uncomfortable package. I love my DX3R, the RXs are very inexpensive, VERY comfortable to use and it has all of the programming features I want. If there were a truck I wanted and you guys offered it in two flavors, with or without a radio, I'd get the one without...

(Keeping in mind that Traxxas does have a few models that you can get as race-rollers).

With that having been said, sadly you just can't fix stupid. I can see all kinds of people buying the non-radio version because they saw the box with the shinny toy inside and failed to read the side of the box. And you know the 29 year-old highschool drop-out that is still living with his parents working behind the counter at the local hobby shop won't bother to warn his valued customer that the RC he is about to by comes sans radio...

JMHO...
    Last edited by Greatscott; 11-06-2010 at 09:29 AM.

RC Champion
    Say no to Traxxas would be the only way to get them to change the way they are offering these models, you're correct. However I like their products too much to do that, I'll just unhappily buy the model I want as opposed to go without it because of the radio. Or I'll wait until I can get a roller for said model off Ebay. I wish I could happily get the model without a radio from Traxxas but I can't and I'm not gonna boycott them or something over it. They aren't screwing us, they are just being inconsiderate to their repeat buyers which isn't a complete disaster, just a minor annoyance.
    Moline, IL

RC Champion
    i use tactics 2.4 radio for mine and a bunch of rx and they all bind, cheap as heck also.
    Alloutrc.proforum.org

RC Champion
    I think you guys don't see it the way I do.

I want and like having more than one radio. If my friend comes over and I have a revo, a slash, and a stampede, I can only use one car at a time. But if I use traxxas link, I can have 3 radios sitting on the shelf without worry about which radio goes to what model, or taking turns on the same radio (people ALWAYS ask me if they can try).

Or not, but for some people this is great and others- not so much. Thats the way traxxas made it though, and I can argue since all you need to do if you dont like extra radios is sell them or buy a different system.

RC Champion
    I don't want Traxxas to not let you buy a model with a radio. I just wanna be able to order a model without a radio. They will never stop offering RTR, it's their bread and butter
    Moline, IL

RC poster
    good question... i have one too. how do i start my own thread?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by stinger30 View Post
    u need to buy a radio with every model so u have an excuse to put up an extra shelf in your man cave to hold the extra radios
    as in, and i qoute, " he who dies with the most toys, wins".
    Master of Traxxas engine longevity....

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Ditto...

I bet the cool kids at Traxxas have something in the works for producing Bind-N-Drive RCs. More than likely they have their big brains squashed together trying to come up with another name for it, "Bind-N-Drive" is copywrited by Losi...

How about...
    Link-N-Race
    Link-Right
    Link-Ready
    Ready-Link
    They used ready link already right???