RC Enthusiast

I've got a race and need some help

Me and my buddy are real competitive. I have a spartan vxl-6s with 3s lipos, 5in dual pickup rudder, alum water jacket,dual water outlet, splash guard, 69mm turn fins, and adjustable trim tabs. Well he said "Don't worry Ive got something for you". I know its a catamaran of some type. What else can I do so I don't have to worry about him beating me. I was thinking about getting a CNC prop but don't know which one. Also what else is there to do get a new esc and motor? I've got 2 weeks before he will be ready.

RC Enthusiast
    The fastest boat doesn't always win. Sometimes a better driver can beat a much faster boat. Practice a lot.

RC Champion
    Do you know how fast your Spartan will go the way it is? And I mean lap after lap without a blow over or chine walk.....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    In keeping with what has already been said. Get out and run your Spartan as much as you can in the next two weeks to become familiar with your boat.

It is probably plenty fast enough already to get into trouble.

Get a feel for how it accelerates, how it corners, how it comes back on plane coming out of a corner, how fast you can go before chine walk, etc.

Not sure what kind of racing you are doing, straight line drag race, or circuit racing, but racing is a whole new can of worms compared to just having fun on the pond. It takes a skilled, attentive skipper to stay out of trouble and have a successful run, win or lose.

The only person I have raced against is my daughter, and more often than not, one of use zigs instead of zags, and it ends up $$ and downtime.

Even if you are both experienced with land based racing, get to know your boat. it is your best shot at victory.

hog

RC Enthusiast
    Very true I plan on running the boat every day until we race. He didn't say what kind of race he wants to do but we are racing in a aqua range so there are some floating islands.

RC Champion
    What prop are you using?

Remember that practice does not make perfect, perfect practice does!!!!! Maintain control and you will prevail!!!!!

If you can achieve high 40's to low 50's..... Not too many other boats can do that.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    Stock prop. I was talking to a guy at the local hobby store and he said I would gain 5mph if I switch to a metal prop.

RC Champion
    That's about right....maybe a bit less.

I would recommend a metal prop but for now I'd run what ya brung....And if ya lose the metal prop for sure.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks. For all the help and responses.

RC Enthusiast
    If you look to professional racing ( NASCAR, Indy, Formula 1) all the cars are set up for max speed for qualifying but on race day a good stable and reliable setup is your best shot. Sacrifice a few mph to the stability gods. And once again practice running like you will be racing.

Remember it's not wether you Win or lose ...

Who am I kidding
    Second place is just the first loser.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok so I was out running the boat making trim changes and what not and the lipos puffed. I've only ran the boat 3 times what would cause the lipos to puff?

RC Enthusiast
    What are the specs on the lipos.

RC Enthusiast
    Traxxas power cell 25c 11.1 3-cell 500ah part #2872

RC poster
    The catamaran may be quicker getting on plane,but suffer while sliding through the turns, so you may start out behind but if it involves turns you'll catch'em.

RC Enthusiast
    The spartan has a reputation for being hard to trim out but I have run mine in some pretty rough water and as a general rule a deep v hull should handle rougher water better than a cat. I am not saying you can just mash the throttle and go 50 mph across the tops of waves but a cat is more likely to blow over or stuff the nose in the rough stuff.
    Last edited by Zorro42; 06-29-2013 at 10:13 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Comes to find out he bought a pro boat 31. We were out yesterday with them and mine was running awesome(until lipos puffed) but he couldn't get his to stop porpoising.

RC Champion
    Does he have version 1 or 2?

The v2 will run on 6s and also has a 1800 kv motor and those boats need to be trimmed a bit to achieve the speeds they claim.

You should be able to out run him.... Though I have seen some of them reach 50 mph....

Good luck!!!!
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    You should have him outgunned. But not by much. Driver skill and luck will probably determine the winner most times. Have fun. The race to upgrade and modify is now green flagged. Fortunetly this forum has a ton of info if you take the time to read it you can escape the mistakes of others.

As for your batteries I have heard of people running those without issues but IMHO a higher c rating is needed for your spartan. Lots of high speed full throttle running (like in racing) may be overtaxing those batteries.

RC Champion
    Just wondering what the outcome of the race with your buddy was?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis