RC Competitor

Something Smoked, but what was it?

Hi,

Today I was running my Summit around on concrete and a bit of light grass. My channel was clear and the only other person running their car was a toy RC and it was IR controlled. I noticed toward the last few minutes of my run, it seemed liked I was getting some interference. I had no control of the vehicle momentarily, but then I regained throttle. The steering was still stuck. I drove it and engaged forward and reverse, and the next thing I saw was smoke pouring out from under the body, so I grabbed a compressed air can and cooled off the parts (ESC, motor, etc.). No more came out. I carried it back inside, but haven't taken a look at it.

I don't have any mods and it is a brushed Summit. I was running with two stock NiMH Power Cell 1200mah batteries with parallel connector.

My three questions:

1. What most likely failed and smoked?

2. Will this be covered by warranty even though the purchase date was Sept. 20, 2012?

3. If I have to repair it myself, what will the repair cost be?

Thank you for your time.
    1/16 Blue Summit
    "It's life, not drama." -Me

RC Racer
    Maybe the hot glue from the lights came loose....

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    1) Probably the servo

2) Your warranty expired long ago... 30 days after purchase. Traxxas does have a life time exchange program though...

3) Cost of the servo... $20ish depending on what you decide to do. I suggest upgrading... the stock servo is not known for its' strength.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Found it!

You were right Jimmie! I noticed the burnt insulation on the wire this afternoon. Everything's charred! The speed control is fine. Was able to salvage the gears. Don't know why I would need them. But I really don't mind the stock servo. I've only have to replace the gears once, and I like the waterproofiness. So I'll stick with the stock.

I didn't even think about the hot glue on the lights melting! Very possible, but not this time.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by wpfo3453; 06-24-2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Screwy Pictures
    1/16 Blue Summit

RC Racer
    Wow Jimmie...ur good! wpfo, I agree with Jimmie on upgrading the servo. He speaks from experience.

RC Champion
    Dead servos have a very distinct odor too.lol.
    I've smelled it on numerous occasions with the last being 2 days ago when the one on my daughters Fiesta gave up the ghost.
    Luckily I had one spare left and she was up and gong again in about 10 minutes.
    Need to restock the toolbox now.lol.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    Too late, the servo already got here! Works just dandy now. Next time it burns out, I'm upgrading!
    1/16 Blue Summit