RC poster

constantly stripping spur gears?

about a year ago, i upgraded my brushed 1/16 summit with a vxl setup off ebay. i believe the setup was taken from a new in box 1/16 mustang/onroad version of the chassis.

are the output shafts different for different models of 1/16 vxl motors? this one's shaft is about 1/4-3/8" too short, so my pinion's setscrew is always at the end of the shaft to get the proper mesh with the spur gear..

i also upgraded the battery to using a single 11.1v 3s lipo.

the plain and short of it is that the truck is way to stinkin' fast. it's to the point where i too easily loose control of it driving it down the street, which is really taking the fun out of driving it.

the truck started with a 50t spur and a 24t pinion, i have since purchased the 55t spur(traxxas), and 15,17, and 20t pinions(all robinson brand).

the problem i'm having is that when i use anything less then the 20t pinion, no matter how tightly i set the gear mesh, i WILL strip the spur gear.

i believe the solution is to find either a longer vxl brushless shaft, or to find a longer set of pinion gears..

any ideas?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I think the motor shaft lengths are the same... kind of an industry standard, but the motor mounts and plates are different from the brushed to the brushless.

Are you sure the pinion and spur are the same pitch?

Meshing too tightly is not a solution... it can actually cause more issues than what you are trying to solve.

Sounds like 2S would be plenty for you in the voltage department.

It is extremely difficult to strip out a properly meshed spur with the proper slipper settings... something is definitely awry.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I think the motor shaft lengths are the same... kind of an industry standard, but the motor mounts and plates are different from the brushed to the brushless.
    thanks for the reply-- i was unaware there was a difference in mounts, i'm looking up the replacements now.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I'm not 100% that the mount is going to make a difference or not...
    How about some pictures of what you have?
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.