RC Champion

Fuel Filter = Massive overheating

Anyone else experienced a similar problem? I purchased a nitro aircraft fuel filter for my T-maxx, slapped it on mid-run and kept running. Soon there was a cloud of white smoke coming from the engine and the temp was really high. It was a dual flow filter, meaning it could be installed in either direction and still work as intended. Sure it was an aircraft filter but it was the only filter at the store. My fuzzy logic told me that RC planes usually on average have larger displacement engines, so fuel flow wouldn't be minimized.
    And it was a large filter, even the inlets were large. Just a little confused. Thanks guys.
    Matthew 7:7

My only guess is the fuel filter got clogged?

EDIT: Do you have a link to the said filter?
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh 1/18 Rally/Teton T-Maxx

RC Champion
    Ah I don't have any idea what brand. It was a solid body/couldn't be disassembled, it was new, I could blow air through it easily. And I had just cleaned my entire "fuel system" before installing it. Stuff like this just kinda bothers me haha. Once I removed it the truck ran great.

RC Champion
    Like said above, restricted fuel flow somehow wich caused lean conditions, which made
    It hot and smoke. Did you get a temperature reading?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyleb View Post
    Like said above, restricted fuel flow somehow wich caused lean conditions, which made
    It hot and smoke. Did you get a temperature reading?
    Yes I understand, but I ran water through the filter in both directions before putting it on the line. I don't own a temperature sensor, never have but have gotten by with the spit test. But it was definitely overheating. I'm nearly positive the filter itself was in perfect condition, I guess aircraft filters are different? Strange haha.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The fuel tank has a filter, so you don't need another one, but in case you wan an extra filter, if it is a rc company who made, and tested it, they will tell you in the instructions that you need to lean out the LSN.

There is also a chance that there is an air leak cause by the fuel filter. that would lean it out a good bit as well.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

I ran a cheap duratrax 2 piece screw together filter once and threw it in the garbage after the first run with it for the very same reason you had with that one. When screwed together it completely shut the fuel flow off. Awesome design duratrax. I now run the Sullivan CT small filter and it works great. It has 3 stages of metal screen traps in it with the holes in the screen getting progressively smaller in each stage.

RC Qualifier
    I too ran the duratrax filter, could not figure out what was going on. Had about 5 gallons on an engine and thought man this thing is worn out. I was running hsn at 6 turns out and still running right at 265. I took the filter apart many times, and cleaned, just never suspected the filter. Took it off for some reason one day and wow, my truck ran normal, got about 4 more gallons through that engine before it was worn out. May have even lasted longer if it had not ran so hot for so long.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    The fuel tank has a filter, so you don't need another one, but in case you wan an extra filter, if it is a rc company who made, and tested it, they will tell you in the instructions that you need to lean out the LSN.
    Thestock TMAXX fuel tank does not have a fuel filter built in it. The Violator tank does...

+1 to the air leak. I've had a filter not seal correctly... Usually you can tell that because it's wet after use....

Not sure if an airplane filter is much different from what we normally use, but I've had great luck with the Mugen fuel filter...

Take the thing off and see if you are running like you were....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Thestock TMAXX fuel tank does not have a fuel filter built in it. The Violator tank does...

+1 to the air leak. I've had a filter not seal correctly... Usually you can tell that because it's wet after use....

Not sure if an airplane filter is much different from what we normally use, but I've had great luck with the Mugen fuel filter...

Take the thing off and see if you are running like you were....
    Gratias multas guys, I've moved the filter to the pressure line and it doesn't seem to be causing any issues. Maybe it'll help somewhat there.
    The filter was not leaking at all (very dry/clean, I would have noticed because I keep the trucks shiny). But maybe it was just a lemon internally.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a View Post
    I ran a cheap duratrax 2 piece screw together filter once and threw it in the garbage after the first run with it for the very same reason you had with that one. When screwed together it completely shut the fuel flow off. Awesome design duratrax. I now run the Sullivan CT small filter and it works great. It has 3 stages of metal screen traps in it with the holes in the screen getting progressively smaller in each stage.
    Thanks man, I just need to do a little research next time. But it was only 5 bucks so I tried it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by westoakmech View Post
    I too ran the duratrax filter, could not figure out what was going on. Had about 5 gallons on an engine and thought man this thing is worn out. I was running hsn at 6 turns out and still running right at 265. I took the filter apart many times, and cleaned, just never suspected the filter. Took it off for some reason one day and wow, my truck ran normal, got about 4 more gallons through that engine before it was worn out. May have even lasted longer if it had not ran so hot for so long.
    Huh, that is interesting Traxxas needs to come out with an inline filter that works.

Huh, that is interesting Traxxas needs to come out with an inline filter that works.
    I agree, or at least put a built in fuel filter in the tank.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh 1/18 Rally/Teton T-Maxx

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Just use that Mugen filter I recommended, cheap but does the job and the filement is able to be removed and cleaned... I use them on all 4 of my RC's and have for ages... Never had a single problem with them....

I find something that works,,, I stick to it .... Unless I find something better
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Champion
    I'm using du-bro filters on 3 of my trucks and they work like a charm. They come anodized in 4 different colors and are only $3

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Yeah or that, I just like to be able to remove it to clean it. Just my problem probably haha.

RC Champion
    @Nitronaught and Kyleb, Thanks for the recommendations! Will definitely look into the products.

RC Qualifier
    I just installed a racers edge medium blue anodized fuel filter on my tmaxx and has no effect on performance or tune. it runs like a champ. I recommend it. I also made body cutouts in windshield and rear window for cooling.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010 View Post
    I just installed a racers edge medium blue anodized fuel filter on my tmaxx and has no effect on performance or tune. it runs like a champ. I recommend it. I also made body cutouts in windshield and rear window for cooling.
    Awesome man thank you, yeah I have done the cutouts and they help a lot.