Thread: What esc?

RC Qualifier

What esc?

What is a good esc that I can use and not worry about it getting too hot? Also will that esc work with the stock motor? Thanks

RC Qualifier
    The seaking 180 amp is a popular choice for an aftermarket upgrade, and yes you can run stock motor with this esc.

Some have gone with the castle creations hydra ice esc, but you will pay a premium for these esc's.

Hog

RC Qualifier
    Hog what are the pros and cons of running the stock motor with the 180amp esc?

RC Qualifier
    Yea I came across those castle hydra esc's the other day. They def do come at a premium! Are they really worth the extra money?

RC Qualifier
    do any of you guys know what hydra ice esc would run cooler on 6s? the 200 or the 240?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hopduperevo View Post
    Hog what are the pros and cons of running the stock motor with the 180amp esc?
    Not necessarily any "pros or cons" but a couple considerations.

The 180 ESc is rated for higher continuous amp draw than the stock ESC, so if running 6S you have a bit more "cushion" on the amp draw.

The 180 ESC is still maxed out on voltage on 6S

The stock motor is a fairly high kv rating at 1800, and the can size is 34mm x 74mm (if memory serves). Which is to say, for a big boat like the Spartan it is moderately sized, and high RPM. It is a Castle Creations motor, which have a reputation for quality and reliability, and following these forums, I believe the new Castle motor has been performing well.

Some of us have opted for larger, higher torque motors, with a bit lower kv rating, to run in conjunction with the 180 ESC. The leopard 4082 1600kv has been popular, and is proving reliable. You can increase prop size a bit to compensate for lower RPM.

So really, no reason not to run the stock motor with the 180, unless you prefer to try running a bit different set up.

hog

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
    do any of you guys know what hydra ice esc would run cooler on 6s? the 200 or the 240?
    I haven't run either, but, In theory the 240 should run a bit cooler than the 200, just because the amp load is a lesser percentage of total continuous amp draw.

The 200 should be more than adequate, considering many of us are running 180 amp ESC's successfully.

I haven't looked at the hydra ICE ESC's in awhile, and the specs are not clear in my head right now, but I think the 200 may be rated for 6S, and the 240 is a high voltage ESC rated for either 10S or 12S. (someone please correct me if this is wrong)

One important consideration on the ICE ESC's - Some come with a BEC (battery eliminator circuit) that allows you to power your receiver and servo off the ESC, and some don't have a BEC, which requires a separate battery pack to power receiver and servo.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 06-24-2013 at 07:53 PM.

RC Qualifier
    The hydra 200 is rated for 50v and up to 12s and the 240 is rated at 33v or 8s lipos. As for temps both our boats run the 180 ESC's and the capacitors after a long 6s run usually are about 95 deg. and the motors about 85. Very cool.
    Last edited by SJS; 06-24-2013 at 08:30 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for clearing up those specs SJS.
    Was tired after work last night and didn't feel like researching
    hog