RC poster

confused newbie ???????

I haved just ordered a Spartan RTR... I have joined this site to try and learn the do's and don'ts with this boat. The sales pitch for the boat is 50 mph, OK 30 mph stock ? This boat will have the castle ESC and the traxxas 540. The prop is a given , I think.. but I keep reading about making them run cooler. I see the 3mm line, water jacket, but I see diff opinions about a couple things . Batt's, I think the boat I ordered has nimh ? , I see 6s make u fly but no good for the ESC ??? stock esc , what batt's do I want ? 3s - 4s ???? I read about wiring, connectors, we r talking mostly stock at this point 6s would be great but not if it makes for a melt down.... I have read a lot of great post but some of the people here r building flat out race boats and no letting us know if it is a good set up for a stock hull ? Rudders ?, I read 4 in offset - 5 in offset, again wouldn't that be affected buy the power you r using ??? What offset for a stock RTR ?
    Thanks soo much from the newbie

RC Competitor
    Hi there and welcome to the forum. I hope I can help you out a little bit.

We will start with your water cooling question:

If you plan to run on anything above 4s, i would go as far to say as the alternate cooling pickup and line is a must. This can be done by either getting a rudder that has two pickups, or keep the stock rudder and add a pickup that mounts to the transom (back of the boat).

The stock esc has trouble on 6s because running the boat at partial throttle puts more stress on the esc. And with 6s, you will be running full throttle only about 60% of the time. That is why people burn up esc's on 6s.

To summarize, it is not recommended at all to run the boat stock with 6s, and I would agree with a lot of other people and say that even after the cooling modifications, 6s is too much for this boat.

My recommendation would be to immediately install the cooling modifications, and run the boat on no more than 5s.

Now for the rudder questions:

An offset rudder gives a couple advantages. The first one being the boat will turn better with an offset rudder. This is because the offset rudder will be cutting into undisturbed water. And undisturbed water will also mean that more water will go into the water cooling lines.

With the stock or "in-line" rudder setup, you have two disadvantages. The inline rudder will be cutting into disturbed, cavitated white water that the prop spits out so it is not turning through thick water. Also, if huge amounts of cavitation from the prop are present, your water cooling line in the rudder will get a lot more air inside of it, not water. The only advantage to an inline rudder is is creates less drag because the water it's cutting through is thinner.

An offset rudder is by no means necessary, but it will improve your performance a little bit.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask, we have some amazingly knowledgeable people on this forum who would love to help you out.

RC poster
    Stang, thank you a lot.. What offset do u recommend for a stock Spartan than, 4 or 5 offset ?

RC Competitor
    Performance wise the 5 inch offset would be better, but I bet that could also make it look pretty weird.

RC Qualifier
    For a stock "fun runner"
    4s, or go 5s max.
    Upgrade to an aluminum cooling jacket on the motor.
    That's really all that's needed for sport boating.

Other upgrades you could consider.
    X442 or P215 metal prop (balanced and sharpened)
    Additional water inlet and outlet, then split the cooling for independent cooling on motor and esc.

You inquired about batteries, the spartan is wired in series, so the voltage of your batteries will "combine".
    2 qty 2s batteries will give a 4s setup.
    1 qty 2s and 1 qty 3s will result in a 5s setup.

It is important your batteries are matched for capacity (ie, 4000mah, 5000mah, etc.) and also for discharge (or "C" rating) to ensure they discharge at the same rate.
    It is not imperative, but strongly recommended they are also from the same manufacture and "class". This is because different manufactures don't always test or rate their batteries the same way, and even from the same manufacture, a "super gold" class battery may perform differently than their "super platinum" class battery.

Hog

RC poster
    I have been running a 6s setup with cooling
    Upgrades and have had no problem I can run for about 30 mins

RC poster
    Hog, farmboy, thanks for the help.... I ordered some cheap 4S lipo's from online 50 c 5500mah [2] hope I did right ? I tried to order some parts from kintec and I just got a e mail , the order was refunded back to my card, doesn't say why, I tried to call that got me an hours worth of busy ???? Whats up with them, why the refund ???? Is their another more reliable Company that deals in parts for the Spartan ?

RC Competitor
    Team21, Spartan can't handle 8s. Two 2s will put you at 4s if that's what you are wanting to run.
    Watch this....

RC poster
    Oh, call me dumb guy.. I just ordered 2 4S 5500 mah and from what I now know that just won't work.. I simply thought they were parallel.. 1 4s one side ,, 1 4s other side. Don't work that way,, told you I.m a newbie.... Anyone want to buy 2 4S packs $100
    or would I be alright if I ran 1 4s on the light side of boat and a 2s of same 5500 mah on the heavy side of boat, after cooling up date ?

RC poster
    Alright I have to ask.... I have tons of nimi batt's laying around... what r my options with them ?

RC Racer
    I run a 3s on one side and a 2s on the other. So a 4s and a 2s should be fine.

E-Maxx. Spartan. 4x4 slash. 2x4 slash x 3. Mini revo and summit
    E-Maxx kershaw 700`s 4x2 slash 4x4 slash vxl

RC poster
    bond thanks for the quick reply.... I have 2S car lipo's from dirt oval 1/10 racing , will these work ? 2 at 2S = 4S .. I think now..

RC Competitor
    There are no dumb questions. The way I see it, we are all learning until we die.
    Watch this....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Team21 View Post
    Oh, call me dumb guy.. I just ordered 2 4S 5500 mah and from what I now know that just won't work.. I simply thought they were parallel.. 1 4s one side ,, 1 4s other side. Don't work that way,, told you I.m a newbie.... Anyone want to buy 2 4S packs $100
    or would I be alright if I ran 1 4s on the light side of boat and a 2s of same 5500 mah on the heavy side of boat, after cooling up date ?
    run the two 4s in parallel and that will give you 11,000mah which means tons of run time.

RC Champion
    Batteries wired in series, add the voltage and average the MAH
    Batteries wired in parallel, add the MAH and average the voltage

If going with 5s long term, I'd probably recommend buying 5s batteries and wire parallel
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    What is the MAH and C rating on your 2S car batteries?
    Boats draw considerably more amps than cars, and your batteries may not be up to the task.
    hog

RC poster
    And again I am not thinking.. I odered the 4s, 550 mah batteries already so I will hook them up parallel and leave it as 4S..
    My car batteries are 3000 at 25C .. 2S so if in series they would be 4S at 15 volt again thanks so much

RC Qualifier
    3000 mah 25C batteries would have a max discharge rate of 75 amps.
    Even running 4S this would be very border line in the Spartan. Peak draws would most likely exceed the discharge the capability of the batteries.
    There would be a high risk of damaging those batteries.

NOTE: when I was running my Eagle Tree data logger, on 6S I was seeing peak draws in excess of 180 amps. (180 ESC and Tacon 3674 1700kv motor)

hog

3000 mah = 3 amp/hour
    3 amps x 25C = 75 amp max discharge
    Last edited by hog; 06-25-2013 at 07:51 AM.

RC poster
    Hog, I will wait for those 4S to show and see how well they perform , but again thia boat is for sport and not a race set up. I am wondering , if I use my old nimh can I run 2 7 cell packs in series ? Whgat would the limits be ?

RC Competitor
    Ive had my Spartan castle version since Dec 2011 stock setup apart from full telemetry system RPM/Temp/Volt running 6s, only cooling upgrades ive done is aluminum water jacket never had one issue with over heating and only for sport use

RC poster
    I have read many post about keeping these boats cool... The Spartan comes with a single water pick up that needs to be drilled to a bigger size for the water to flow better, or u can buy a 5 in set back rudder with dual pick ups at $30, next option is a water tube pick up for $8 , but more drag, or buy a replacement dual pick up rudder blade at $50, wow!!!!!! Is that a way to make fast moneyand no one has them in stock except Aus. Also while I'm crying, benchmark offers a ski platform to bolt on the back to help keep water out if need to back up part # ST-5708BA, well try and find one in stock .... good luck , none to be found.
    new topic ; Batt's try and buy batt's , how frustrating. Hobby king, no stock, hobbypartz, no stock, E bay get what u can. I have a bunch of 4800 nimi's at 25 C, can I make 8 cell packs in series and come out to be 20.8 volts compared to 2 3S lipo's at 22 volts, is the weight the concern ????? Just asking befor I do something really dumb. AGAIN

RC Qualifier
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ST-5707-Trax...item1c3408d90c heres the whole kit i bought and have had no issues with overheating http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...atural&cat=172 and they have the blue one to
    Last edited by hopduperevo; 06-30-2013 at 07:33 PM.

RC poster
    I will ask but I know I saw it mentioned some where. I have a lot of deans plugs laying around, r these useable with a ^S or r the bullet conn's 5.5mm from OSE what I need ?
    Thanks for the link it helped and they now have it in stock