RC Qualifier

Properly tuned jato 3.3 wont wheelie

Hello, my jato 3.3 will not wheelie! Alright so i'm pretty sure i have it tuned properly. It doesnt bog on take off, running 215F It also has a thick blue trail of smoke, and is pretty fast. The slipper is 1/2 a turn out from all the way in. Im running 56/24 gearing, it is shifting good and the tires are anacondas, farely new about 85% tread left, im driving in a paved parking lot. My batter is in the middle, i have tried putting it in the back, it just makes it sag more in the back. Do you think it is because of my back shocks? They were shot and i had some extra shocks laying around from my rustler vxl, so i threw the back rustler shocks on my jato, and put 2 black clips on each (i forgot what they are called but i put the biggest ones they make on) This is just temporary untill i find some new shocks i like.

RC Qualifier
    When I use 4" tires the rear and front spring tensions really effect whether it wheelies or not. If the rear is to stiff it just spins the tires and if it's to soft it seems to absorb all of the energy in the squat. If the front is to soft it takes to much of the power to lift it enough to even start to get it off the ground. When I want to wheelie on command, I put on Street Fighters with 55 or 56/20 gears and blue springs on back with the front up all the way. She'll wheelie all day at ant speed in any gear, even at half throttle.

Oh yea, 215 is a little to cool. I would recommend closer to 250 for best performance and engine life, but I know every place in the world won't support those temps. If it runs cooler while in the throttle than at idle, lean the hsn a little and see if it may perform better and bring up those temps. If it cools off while idling, lean the lsn. If where you live is keeping the temps low, try running a body with less ventilation or even a thin rag around the cooling head if it's really cool outside.
    Last edited by Mark Ball; 06-22-2013 at 07:10 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Alright, what are some good springs that will be handle just top speed runs and will make it wheelie, but not and insane amount? And what shocks do you use? I was thinking the lrp performance shocks.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    2400kv rusty ~ 4100kv merv
    Revo .26 X2
    Jato .21

RC Qualifier
    I use Traxxas GTR alum bodies, alum caps with TiNi shafts and alum rod ends. Which springs and oil that would be best for you depends mostly on the type of road your driving on and what type of driving your doing. The oil weight plays a big role in the equation. The bumpier it is the softer springs and heavier oil is needed. If it's smooth as glass, stronger progressive rate springs with a lighter oil will perform better. For most of us it's just a lot of trial and error before we find what's working best for what we're wanting it to do.

RC Competitor
    The GTR shocks are a good start. Get the heaviest springs and a 30 or 40 weight oil for the shocks. The springs are your preload and the oil is your rebound the thicker the oil the less responsive (sluggish ) the shock will be. If the oil is thin it will react faster letting the spring do its job you can also get different rebound discs for the inside that have lager holes for quicker response. TRAXXAS has a spring kit for the GTR shocks. You need to also get your shocks as vertical as possible. You may want to try another tire the anaconda tire isn't the best for wheelies the dirt hawgs are good for road or grass but not sand.
    JATO, MERV, 4-TEC, & NITRO-VEE

RC Qualifier
    Mark ball, you got a link to those? And its a bit bumpy.

Revo .26 X2
    Jato .21

RC Qualifier
    Ryc what about road rages? Ive been wanting to try those. Or street fighters i believe they are called.

Revo .26 X2
    Jato .21

RC Competitor
    They look good but dont have much traction on the street. I will find you links for the spring kits
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXUTH6&P=8
    http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?c=180
    JATO, MERV, 4-TEC, & NITRO-VEE