Thread: Motor swap

RC Racer

Motor swap

Is it possible or worth it to put two Vxl-3s systems instead of the two brushed motors ? And is it possible to water cool them with the brushed cooling kit ?

E-Maxx. Spartan. 4x4 slash. 2x4 slash x 3. Mini revo and summit
    E-Maxx kershaw 700`s 4x2 slash 4x4 slash vxl

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by bondjr00797 View Post
    Is it possible or worth it to put two Vxl-3s systems instead of the two brushed motors ? And is it possible to water cool them with the brushed cooling kit ?

It is definitely possible and I think they go in the boat with little to no modifications. I am not sure if the water cooling kit works. It probably does.

The problem with a setup like this though would be keeping the esc's cool. This is because with all that power, you won't be running full throttle often, and that puts a lot more stress on the esc's, and on top of that, you won't be able to water cool the esc's.

I have also heard that the Villain outdrives don't hold up very well when paired with a high-powered brushless motor like the vxl.

So to answer your question, it is possible, but it isn't worth it unless you already have the brushless systems lying around and don't want to buy a whole new hull and build a boat yourself.

RC Racer
    As a matter of fact I do have two I use in my emaxx as a v-twin Setup in the winter months. So no more snow means I can use them in the boat. Thank u for the intell

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by bondjr00797 View Post
    As a matter of fact I do have two I use in my emaxx as a v-twin Setup in the winter months. So no more snow means I can use them in the boat. Thank u for the intell

Ok. Well if you already have the Villain I would say go for it. If you don't already have the Villain, I would put those babies in a hull in the 35-45 inch range if you want to have an all around better boat.

RC Racer
    I don't have a villain yet but that was what I was thinking. Looks like I will look for a different hull. Thank u again for the help.

RC Competitor
    Yeah I think that is the best way to go. Let me know if you have any more questions.

RC Champion
    I have a Villain and I put dual brushless Castle 5700's in it with custom fabricated water cooling. Honestly the boat was too fast for the hull and really wasn't fun to drive anymore. I changed out the outdrives with Offshore electronic parts and carbon props. I can't say that the outdrives would break with the stockers, but the plastic yokes don't look too strong. I've since taken the brushless motors out and replaced them with HPI 550 12T with an HPI esc out of an E-Savage.. Basically the same as the Titans, but maybe a bit more rpm.. The boat will cruise all day at 25mph or so and is a pleasure to drive. I run a fan on the esc and water jackets for the motors.. I've seen a couple of other brushless conversions and all the dual setups had the same problems. major chine walk and too much speed for the smaller hull of the villain.. A singe brushless setup would work better and some of those conversions are hitting speeds into the 40's.. Plenty fast for a boat.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3