Thread: track ideas

RC Qualifier

track ideas

ok so me and spyder71 has been working on a small track, I have a spot in the woods that connects to my property and we cleaned it out down to the dirt and have a few layout designs, so we were trying to figure out a low budget border, and all we figured out was the black pipe you normally see but my brother at work came up with an idea, of green 20oz mountain dew bottles put together, and I can get about 20 to 25 a day at work from everyone so I will update this as it progresses but the idea is to run a string thru them in about 10-15 foot sections and attach a bungee to the end so when hit they spring back into place and best of all they are free, considering I would need about $130 for black pipe so I will see how this works and update in a few days...
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Champion
    I used 1x4s. They are springy enough and you can get them at a reasonable price.
    1:16 Slash vxl
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler vxl

RC Qualifier
    I need about 250'-300' of it so divided by 8 is about 38 of them so still over a hundred I thought of that but same price as black pipe but the board be harder on rc cars then the pipe...and I cant bend the boards for corners. We talked about using wood but treated lumber not cheap and pain to move to change layout around when we get tired of one way

RC Qualifier
    Update got my first 30+bottle to test this free track boarder out here are pics and a short video of hitting them...I drilled hole in both ends and ran trout line thru them ($2.50 for 260 feet) a couple tent stakes and a bungee on the end so when hit it moves back into position and doesn't hurt the car or the border. I think it is going to work fine so for 300 feet of border I will have about $10 in it lol string and stakes.

and a short video

http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/Ti...59207.mp4.html
    Last edited by Timber211; 06-25-2013 at 09:29 PM.

RC Champion
    Great idea! All new tracks should do this to help save on startup costs. I like the green better than the black too. Easier to see. Although the track I ran at, they have yellow pipe which was also easy to see.

Another great perk to the bottles is you can change the length of the border easily unlike piping which you have to cut.

Great ingenuity!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    TRXnot so Newbie21

RC Qualifier
    Thanks TRX, actually I have to give credit to my brother for it, we used to save cans at work and turn them in and buy lunch for everyone, well we switched to bottles this year and we've been trying to figure out what to do with them lol so he said something about a track border since I was looking for ideas on what to use and we figured the string thru them and a bungee at one end to pull back into place when hit, tried it and it seems perfect for a low budget border since the bottle are free and everyone at work is bringing me their empty green bottles. Figured I make 15' lengths so I can pull a few stakes and re-route the track if we get bored with it.

RC Champion
    Be sure to post more pictures when the track is complete!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    TRXnot so Newbie21

RC Qualifier
    I will trx...I will update it every few days as it comes together.
    .it's not a big track just a spot in the edge of woods we clear outs about 70'x40'

RC Champion
    try and remove all the little twigs n branches so it leave dirt and only dirt.

RC Qualifier
    Oh I will when its all done still got plenty to do

RC Qualifier
    well I have got about have the bottles needed and made a complete loop next up get the layout done thru the center....originally for a small 1/10 coarse but might turn into a latrax rally coarse being all dirt (will need different tires) or a 1/16 rally/slash coarse too. Need to get a leaf blower I tilled it all up and rolled it out with a yard roller. Still has some humps to smooth down but been letting it pack in some and keeping it sprayed so I can blow it out to remove all the loose bits on top leaves walnuts twigs etc. and see exactly what I need to do from there but its coming together another couple weeks should have all the bottles I need... thought even about getting some extras to extend it out into the yard if wanted (cut grass short around there) then I could just throw out some stakes run bottles around and poof double the size and add different terrain to the track.

will update again when I get more done, thanks for looking and commenting and any new ideas are welcomed

RC Qualifier
    Thought I would update this thread with a video of our first race on the little track, got some more work to do to it like banking some corners and making dirt jumps instead of the boards but this let us move them around and try different layouts to find out what we liked

RC Qualifier
    little update...starting to add some berms

RC Champion
    Looks good! Always overbuild berms and jumps and let them wear down otherwise you will be rebuilding a lot!
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Qualifier
    oh we will be adding more dirt to the berms that was just a start of them lol also added this in today... and working on a tabletop