RC Qualifier

A little love for the Blast

This forums usually pretty much dead and I still run one sometimes. So I'll start another thread that'll probably get hardly any replies and disappear
    Many say the VXL is too much but what fun is having too little power? It does give it torque twist but its manageable if you aren't twitchy on the throttle and counter steer. Using 2s lipo and after 30 mins the motor and esc temps were still lukewarm.

Gets my dog some exercise as well.

He is more curious than anything.
    Here's something interesting- lakes only 2 miles from me so I rode instead of driving. Notice my boat strapped on the side of the trailer dog loves it.
    Lock, Stomp, and Steer. No Fear

RC Competitor
    That's great! It reminds me of what my dog did when he saw me run my Rc boat for the first time.... It was bad. I was at anchor in a real boat, maybe 3 miles or so offshore, and Bruce (my new dog) jumped off the the side of my 1:1 boat to try and catch the R.c boat! It was really scary! It was one of those situations where you just sit there thinking and trying to decide on what to do... Save the dog, chase after him in the 1:1 boat, jump in and try to save him, etc.

Anyways, I have always liked how the blast looks and yours is no exception my friend. How does the out drive hold up to brushless power?

RC Qualifier
    I put as much marine grease as it would hold in them while I put in the motor. Only about a full hour of runtime but they are holding up just fine so far. I wish I could have bearings in there instead of bushings though. Also would like a slightly bigger prop.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlinMike View Post
    I put as much marine grease as it would hold in them while I put in the motor. Only about a full hour of runtime but they are holding up just fine so far. I wish I could have bearings in there instead of bushings though. Also would like a slightly bigger prop.
    Does it cavitate a lot? Just remember though, a bigger prop is more stress on the drive-line parts.

RC Qualifier
    Well that's a good point about the stress. On second thought ill leave it as it.
    Yea it cavitates up to about 7- 8 mph i est then hits its stride and rides on top. I've played with the trim a lot and happy where its at. I didn't like the handling at all almost everywhere else. The cavitation isn't that bad.
    Darned glad I got reverse now too

RC Qualifier
    Also I'm sure this button is to reverse the throttle input but I can't get it to budge. Any info?

All I ended up doing was switching one of the VXL wires to the motor for now.

That's a nice way to get to the lake!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    Thanks cooleocool, any info on that older remote? Why that button won't budge?

RC Competitor
    Well if it's a slider style button, it probably isn't for reversing the throttle input. Usually input reversing buttons are switches, left side normal, right side reversed or something along those lines.

Now that I am looking at the picture more clearly, it doesn't look like a slider button..... Ooops

Only thing I could imagine that would hold up a switch like that is something in the way of the track/guide that the switch rides on. Perhaps a small pebble or pieces of sand from the lake?

Sorry I couldn't be any help, but good luck.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlinMike View Post
    Also I'm sure this button is to reverse the throttle input but I can't get it to budge. Any info?

All I ended up doing was switching one of the VXL wires to the motor for now.
    Hey all,
    I have had several of those old traxxas stick radios. The switch you are refereing to is not a reversing switch. It is basically the equivilent of the 50/50 - 70/30 switch on the TQ pistol radios. In english that means it just changes what position the stick is in at neutral. So in you r current setting you have 50% forward stick travel and 50% rear stick travel. If you flip the switch down, you will have 70ish% forward stick travel and only 30ish% rear stick travel.

RC Racer
    I think servo reversing dip switches are maybe in the battery compartment.

RC Qualifier
    I didn't even think of that. Thanks for the help

RC Racer
    The stock ESC doesn't have reverse. Time to upgrade to the xl5 and the titan 12T
    (1) Ultimate Slash 4x4 & (1) HCG Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by wfburton159 View Post
    The stock ESC doesn't have reverse. Time to upgrade to the xl5 and the titan 12T
    In the very first post there's a clear picture of a VXL system installed and I state it in words as well.

RC Racer
    Oh yeah sorry. Did you find reverse? Do you have to go down, release, then down again like in a car?
    (1) Ultimate Slash 4x4 & (1) HCG Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Never had a problem with reverse. Sorry buddy. I only wanted to know what that switch was for because mine wouldn't move and I couldn't find the old manual online.

On another note- of course I flipped her upside down way out and there was nil for a breeze. Yes i had to swim. Since I've chose to still run fm it of course glitches when the antennae is way underwater. Well that broke both couplings from the transom to the propellor. That's on order.

Also for someone who knows- how do you remove the housing for the long driveshaft?? I want to replace it soon. Or at least the bushings

RC Qualifier
    My serious question - the way to take the main shaft tube out........

RC Qualifier
    Can't somebody answer?

RC Competitor
    What part do you need to get to that makes you want to take the stuffing tube out?

Whatever it may be, I think you will have a very tough time and probably have to use brute force to get the stuffing tube on the Blast out.

On the other hand, I don't see why you would want to take it out.

To remove the drive cable, you will have to disconnected it from the inboard motor, and pull it out of the boat from the transom by disconnecting the shaft from the outdrive.

RC Qualifier
    I've had the main shaft out. But those bushings aren't lasting well on brushless. Also mine doesn't have a cable from the motor to the transom but a solid shaft.

RC Qualifier
    I know there's gotta be a trick to get those bushings out or the whole sleeve.

RC Competitor
    Maybe a really small pair of angled needle nosed pliers could do the trick?

If the bushings aren't moving themselves or don't look too worn out, just put a good amount of marine grease on them and be religious about putting grease in after every 30-50 minutes of run-time.

By doing this you will only wear out the grease, rather than the actual bushing.

RC poster
    i just got my blast and when i turn it on the propeller goes full throttle. what is wrong with it. its new right out of the box

RC Qualifier
    Well jay I would start with checking your remote batteries are fully contacting and all in correctly, then check the transmitter and receiver crystals are in fully and the same channel. I tried to look up calibrating the nautica esc but didn't find the manual yet. Also check where your throttle channel trim is set to. It could just be that.

RC poster
    the remote i have dont have crystals or a throttle trim. it says to reset the esc but i am not sure how

RC Qualifier
    Well give the Traxxas Support team a call. They're helpful and its in real time