RC Enthusiast

School me on KV ratings?

Ive been looking at different motor/esc options. I was at the lhs and owner told me the higher the kv the faster you will go? One of his kits had a kv rating of 6400 and another at 7400. Now when I search through forums it seems most people are running a 3s on lower kv motor. I don't want to purchase a setup if I cant run both 2s and 3s???

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    In a sense, yes... the higher kv the faster you will go; but there is a large trade off... the more kv you have the less torque the motor is capable of, which can lead to nasty heat issues.

kv = rpm per volt
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    Ah thanks

After a little more research I think Ive got it figured. Basically high KV on a 4x4 monster truck with 3s will cause the esc to overheat, which is why the biggest choice for a motor/esc upgrade on a 4x4 monster truck is between 2200-2400KV due to its weight, bigger tires and 4x4 system.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Yup!!

Higher kv can work... but after all the hassle and expense of figuring out what will work; it is cheaper to buy a tried and true system.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

Bear in mind that only the Kv rating on itself doesn't tell you if a motor is able to get your car ahead without overheating.
    A 2200Kv 200W motor will get hot in no time while a 6000Kv 3000W motor will never get hot in a 4x4 Pede.

For motors of the same size and the same rotor size, the rule of thumb "higher Kv = less torque, more rpm at the same voltage" is valid.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Qualifier
    I've got a 2200kv motor and MM@ and I've been bashing hardcore since I got mine and I'm running this setup thru tall grass and heavy terrain like high hills/steep climbs and hasn't gotten above 120 degrees.

RC Qualifier
    In this truck, I would say anything under 3000 kV is good and should be a 4 pole motor. I had an 1800kv 1/8 scale that was a 2 pole and it heated up real quick with conservative gearing on 3S.

Sent from my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter33 View Post
    In this truck, I would say anything under 3000 kV is good and should be a 4 pole motor. I had an 1800kv 1/8 scale that was a 2 pole and it heated up real quick with conservative gearing on 3S.

Sent from my phone.
    That is exactly what I meant. This 2 pole 1800 is apparently not powerful enough. I'm sure there are many 3000Kv+ (for example the Castle 1410 series) motor users which are happy with it. There are even enough people happy with the stock combo.

Power demands are personal. I see a trend that people with several years of experience tend to go for controllable power.
    Nobody is born with experience.

^^^ yup!...
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...