RC poster

Unhappy Traxxas slash 4x4 dies on throttle

Hi!

I recently bought a used traxxas slash 4x4. It ran great for a few batteries, but now I am experiencing some difficulties...

The car is stock but is running on a 2s lipo. I have tried with 2 different batteries.

This is whats happening: When I steer, the car does not die. But when I gas, the car usually dies immediately or within a few seconds. When the car runs for a few sec, the green light on the esc turns off while throttle is applied, then relights when the throttle is off.

There is no beep noise. Sometimes the ESC won't turn on. The ESC is in lipo mode.

Please help me!!!

Best wishes, Elias

RC Qualifier
    Your esc could have gone bad...do you know any of the history on it? Like how old or used it was by the previous owner?
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Champion
    Call traxxas and see what they say.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC poster
    The phone support is closed until monday /:

Don't know anything about the esc. Is there an esc for aprox 100 dollars that is better then the stock one?

Cheers!

How about this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Funn...item257f613be1
    This is an excellent esc! It is basically a Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro. It will get a whole lot more from the stock motor. And if you decide to upgrade to the 2400 motor, you are ready to go! You sure can't beat the price
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    How about this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Funn...item257f613be1
    This is an excellent esc! It is basically a Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro. It will get a whole lot more from the stock motor. And if you decide to upgrade to the 2400 motor, you are ready to go! You sure can't beat the price
    +1 It will be a whole lot better, just make sure you either get the castle link cable or borrow your LHS's to get the settings right, otherwise you'll be like me with a slash that feels like its brushed.

RC Enthusiast
    My buddies slash was acting similar to what you describe. The button had gotten stuck on the esc. After working the button back and forth, and side to side, we got it to free up. After that we had to recalibrate esc and transmitter. Hopefully this will help you out.

RC poster
    Read abit about esc upgrades for traxxas slash 4x4. Maybe this one is more priceworthy? http://compare.ebay.com/like/2512478...Types&var=sbar

Would that work with the stock motor?
    Does it have lipo cutoff?
    How is it's quality?

Thanks for the help guys

Ps. Can somebody recommend a good lipo charger/balancer/discharger?

RC Champion
    To work with the stock motor you would have to sauter 4mm bullets onto the motor instead of the 3.5mm bullets that are on there now.

RC poster
    Oh, ok

How about Mamba Max Pro 1/10?

Quote Originally Posted by eligri View Post
    Oh, ok

How about Mamba Max Pro 1/10?
    That esc is good
    One thing you should try..
    Try a different battery
    I have a feeling you have a weak lipo cell in your battery that is dropping in voltage a lot
    I've experienced this problem myself
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC poster
    I know its the esc ^^

Asked a guy at a local hobbystore. The battery is fine, the servo is fine, the receiver is fine, and the motor is probably fine.
    So that just leaves the esc :P

RC Enthusiast
    I would call traxxas support before I started throwing money and parts at it. By all means if it's bad get rid of the vxl...

RC poster
    I have the same issue. I disconnected the steering servo from the receiver and was able get the expected response on my throttle. I think it is the receiver.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by culuczon View Post
    I have the same issue. I disconnected the steering servo from the receiver and was able get the expected response on my throttle. I think it is the receiver.
    when the servo is plugged in it steers but not drives? If that's the problem then you need a new servo

RC poster
    Thank you "shingstar4x4". I went to the hobby store and plugged in a new servo and voila I'm driving again!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by culuczon View Post
    Thank you "shingstar4x4". I went to the hobby store and plugged in a new servo and voila I'm driving again!
    glad it worked!! If it goes out again then I would recommend a new stronger servo like hitec or spectrum