RC Qualifier

Help with a Racing Setup for a P4de

So I went out to this local clay surface oval track, with tall banked turns this evening. Needless to say it was a blast My question is what is the best I can do with my suspension with out going all out and changing the design of my basher p4de? I know its not really designed for racing oval tracks, but its run what you brung. There are only a few electric cars that race. Should I use a stiffer spring set up. What would be good gearing. I was running stock tonight with a 2cell and no temp issues. Do think 17t pinion would be pushing it? What about using 3s? They fellow at the track tonight said my truck was pretty fast and wont have a problem keeping up the others. What tires would also be good to run on clay. It was dusty tonight and was sliding with the trenchers. On race days they water and roll the track. So I am sure the traction is much better. I would like to hear from other who have raced with their p4de to gain a bit more knowledge. Thanks in advance! Here is a like to the tracks facebook page. On it is a couple of vids of RCer's running their rides, so you know what the track is like.

https://www.facebook.com/CornHuskersSpeedway

RC Enthusiast
    I found traxxas sway bars helped keep all four tires on the ground through cornering.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Last weekend I drove 185 miles to YRC Raceway in Sandusky Ohio, just to find a nice dirt oval. Your only 120 miles away, right up i79 from Pittsburgh 8)). Is the track open on Sundays?

The sway bars will help. I have a bit of 2wd dirt oval experience and no 4wd oval experience. I am afraid any 2wd tips I would give would slow you down.

Tires I can help with. If the track looses all its dust and gets tacky after its watered and rolled, a very small pin or waffle type tread works well. If you will be buying new tires to race with, consider some sct tires like the proline sniper or suburbs.

Google "URC Shapeshifter" to see what a pede 4x4 can accomplish in competition with sct tires on it.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Enthusiast
    I like the idea of the Dakar shapeshifter.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Last weekend I drove 185 miles to YRC Raceway in Sandusky Ohio, just to find a nice dirt oval. Your only 120 miles away, right up i79 from Pittsburgh 8)). Is the track open on Sundays?
    The races are on Thursdays and Sundays at 7pm. They usually can run till after 10. The track is lit after dark. You can practice 7 days a week (no charge for practice). Its open to the public. Cost is 5 bucks per class, 3 or 4 races each class. Really no restrictions on what you can run. I was racing 4x4 electric class. I was up against short course trucks and buggys. My was by far the slowest geared with a 14t pinion 54t spur. Which should be plenty fast. I was sliding alot with the trenchers on my first race with loose clay. Next race right after water, it was like super traction. Couldnt imagine how pin type tires will grip. Should I run a 2.8 tire or get the smaller 2.2? I think that will be my next purchase. I notices some nitro and late model cars run street-like tires and they were super fast around the track.

And thanks guys for your input. 1 week ago I didn't even think I would be racing, but it sure is alot of fun! Now time to transform into more of a racer than a basher. I will try to keep it simple so I can easily switch back and forth.

Is there a lap counting system?

Which tires are the fastest sct guys running?

RC Qualifier
    The best all-around tire I have used is the JC subcultures. +1 on what the competition is using.
    Last edited by Shaky17; 06-22-2013 at 01:00 AM.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

Next race you go to, walk the pits and find out what tire every fast truck is running. Feel the rubber compound, and the stiffness of the foam, and if the racers are nice, they will answer all you questions.

Tires, and prepping them are 75% of your handling on tacky clay. Does anyone run foams?

RC Qualifier
    Didnt see anyone running foam tires. Mostly pin type in my class. The fastest buggy had very low profile square tread which was nearly gone. Some nitro were running low profile street tires. The lap counting system consists of a staff member standing at the finish line counting the lead cars' laps. Also do rolling starts too.

If I run a 2.2 tire, I dont know what wheel to get with the proper off set. Would it matter with the p4de? as far as clearance issues Or should i stick with the 2.8?

The wide offset rpm crawler 2.2 rims have a wide enough offset. But sct rims have the inner 3" diameter to clear the suspension parts. You dont want to be too wide with a short wheelbase truck. Check out the Proline trencher sct tires if the fastest guy was running blocks. They are a very blocky tread, you may just need to run on asphalt to wear them down a bit. Not sure if the trenchers come in m3 compound, but m3 or m4 will work much better on clay compared to the standard m2 compound.

Here are some sct tires, the street fighters would get the most tread on the ground, but will not work if there is any dust on the track at all:

http://prolineracing.com/short-cours...rt-truck-tires

If you want to stick with 2.8's, the road rage may work, but they only come in m2 compound:
    http://prolineracing.com/tires/road-rage-2.8-traxxas

I would go with the sct tires as the softer compounds are available.

RC Qualifier
    So rag6, you would suggest a sct rim? I quite dont understand wheel sizes. You say sct rims have the inner 3" dia to clear suspension. If they have 3" inner how do they fit 2.2 tires? I see some are labeled as 2.2/3.0? I'm a little lost there. I am currently running the 2.8 trenchers and really sliding when its dusty.

Will wheels that fit the slash 4x4 fit my p4de? Will they have any clearance issues.? I currently am running 12mm hexes. If I can find some sct wheels that fit my p4de I can find some tires that will work best for the track.

I have been to the races only once. My first race was so dusty it was hard to see your car. The second race was right after they watered. So I would like to find good tire for both conditions. I don't see tires like the suburbs or IONs gripping well when its dusty. (I could be mistaken?) I would think a pin type would work better for both conditions but again, I am not sure. I understand the softer the tire the gripper it is and quicker it wears. Would the tires listed as clay be softer than the m4's?

Thanks for your responses. Your input is being put to use to help me out with a better race setup.

RC Champion
    Check out the Shape Shifter Projekt from Jang (Ultimate RC):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck8xrObgP6Y

The sct rims have a 3" inner and 2.2" outer diameter. I just used a set of m4 snipers(small pin) at a dirt oval last weekend. they worked on both dusty pre water and tacky watered clay. Not saying the snipers will work at your track, but sct tires give you many options for competition tires. Yes, the pede 4x4 and slash 4x4 use the exact same suspension parts and need a rim bigger than 2.2 on the inside to clear those parts and have the proper offset.

RC Qualifier
    So this is what I ordered. I really hope these tires will increase my traction in the turns so I can try to be more competitive. I went with the beadlocks so I can avoid the whole gluing process.

http://prolineracing.com/tires/block...m3-soft-tires/

http://prolineracing.com/split-six-2...eels-red-black

Are these good choices? Most were running the pin type tire.

Looking forward to thursday!

When taping tires, do you just run 1 layer of tape or more?