RC poster

Transmission rebuild questions...

Just bought a Stampede chassis on Ebay. Turns out the tranny was full of sand and the idler was shot.

Questions:

1. The idler inside was plastic which I found strange since it came with the newer, gray coloered chassis. I've used the aluminum idler before, but the steel one is $8 cheaper. Any reason why I can't use the steel one?
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSGZ3&P=7

2. I wiped out the old grease and sand from the transmission and washed it out well. Can I use lithium grease instead of the standard all purpose type? It's all I have around the house right now.

Thanks for the help in advance.

RC Qualifier
    That looks like the right gear, 3696 is the part #. I used white lithium grease in my transmission, should be good to go.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    That's the correct part number TRA3696. Put a coat of lithium grease on your gears, you dont' want to much just enough to get them lubed nicely. Also be sure to put all your tefon spacers in place. You can look at the exploded view to be sure you have all of them. It probably wouldnt hurt to pick up a pack of them (5x8x0.5PTW TRA1985).

Good luck. A lot of people are scared to bust into the tranny for some odd reason. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC poster
    Thanks for the responses guys. Will go ahead and use lithium grease. And thanks for the part number DiggerPede. Definitely not afraid to take apart the tranny, I built a Stampede kit back when Traxxas still made kits (wish they still did).

If get around to taking some pictures I'll see about making a build thread.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    A lot of people are scared to bust into the tranny for some odd reason. LOL
    I love the inside of the tranny. It's all greasy and I get all dirty then I look as if I've done something productive that day.
    You guys are right on about using the lithium grease. I don't have lithium grease so I use some sort of "Black Grease" (from team associated i think) and it lubes nicely.. Free on my end so I don't complain.
    Never trust a fart.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ithrowstones View Post
    I love the inside of the tranny. It's all greasy and I get all dirty then I look as if I've done something productive that day.
    Better stick with your black grease instead of lithium or you won't look as productive!

RC Champion
    Burf, while you are in the gearcase, consider fresh grease in the diff also. You can benefit from using something heavier.